German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had Zeldas hips and elbows x-rays done yesterday. Vet wouldn't give any opinion on how they look just that they were submitted to OFA today. Any thoughts on how they look.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No Thoughts??? I am not looking for a rating, just a those look like they will pass or fail.

My daughter wants to start training more for agility, dock diving, and fast cats, just want to make sure it doesn't look like it will hurt her to start.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I don't know how to read them for OFA, but things like femoral remodeling, subluxations, super shallow sockets would be obvious to most here. I personally do not see anything like that, but I am not a vet or a radiologist.

Even if they showed dysplasia (which I don't beleive they do) the saying is treat the dog, not the xray. A lot of dysplastic dogs do not show symptoms and lead full active lives, but if you looked at their xray you would not think it.

I would have asked the vet about allowed activity, not so much about the results. Also, did you get these done because something was worrying you? Or just toget her rated?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not worried per say, though with the high incidence of HD in GSD's it was always in the back of my mind, especially since Zelda loves to jump. So I didn't want to really do a lot of agility or running with her until I was sure it was safe for her.

I am kind of upset with the vet and really considering finding a new one. They didn't even talk to me when I picked her up, (they went to lunch) the receptionist just brought her out and told me things to watch for after being under anesthesia. I had to call and ask for a copy of the x-rays, and asked about what the vet thought about them. I just got she never said anything to me so I would assume there is nothing concerning, we will call when we get the results in from OFA.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
Not worried per say, though with the high incidence of HD in GSD's it was always in the back of my mind, especially since Zelda loves to jump. So I didn't want to really do a lot of agility or running with her until I was sure it was safe for her.

I am kind of upset with the vet and really considering finding a new one. They didn't even talk to me when I picked her up, (they went to lunch) the receptionist just brought her out and told me things to watch for after being under anesthesia. I had to call and ask for a copy of the x-rays, and asked about what the vet thought about them. I just got she never said anything to me so I would assume there is nothing concerning, we will call when we get the results in from OFA.
When they get the results? YOU should be the one to get the results. What is the receptionist talking about?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am a retired nurse, have a strong interest in osteology (bones) have looked at thousands of hip x-rays since getting my first registered GSD, and those hips look good to me ! The coverage of the ball joint by the socket is good, the bone fits snugly into the socket (no subluxation) and the vet knew what he was doing when it came to positioning the dog properly for the x-ray. (Pelvis level, both legs turned in and parallel to one another, kneecaps showing in x-ray.) The sockets COULD be a little deeper, but the x-ray isn't all that clear, so I am having trouble telling just where the line is on the femur bone that marks the edge of the socket.

I am not sure how to read elbow x-rays, but am guessing those will pass.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When they get the results? YOU should be the one to get the results. What is the receptionist talking about?
Honestly I don't know, they said they haven't done OFA's in a long time so maybe she is just assuming they will get something from OFA. Zelda's breeder told me I should get the results in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
Honestly I don't know, they said they haven't done OFA's in a long time so maybe she is just assuming they will get something from OFA. Zelda's breeder told me I should get the results in 2-3 weeks.
You can check the OFA site as well. It might be listed before you get the results back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the results today. Elbows normal hips borderline. paper says slight subluxation, slight shallow acetabula and unilateral pathology left. I talked to my vet she doesn't agree with the rating she feels they are fair to good. I don't know if it made a difference or not but she did go into heat 2 weeks after the x-rays were done, I did see on the ofa sight they dont recommend x-rays a month before or for a month after a heat cycle. the only thing I can do I guess is have them redone in 6 months and resubmitted.
What is everyones thought on training for agility, should we hold off? Vet says she should be fine, but I don't want to make things worse.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Jessica, my older female was diagnosed with mild subluxation on one side, and failed her OFA. The minute I saw the x-ray, I knew it likely wasn't going to pass.

It has never stopped her from doing anything I wanted to do with her, including the A-frame and jump for IPO. She's 11 now and has never had a lame day in her life!

·
Registered
484 Posts
If she's not showing any lameness, I would recommend continuing what you are doing (if that is agility, go for it!) My girl hasn't had her prelims done yet since she was diagnosed with SAS and the vet is uncomfortable sedating her for the xrays. I will have them done when she's being spayed. They did some crude xrays while she was awake and just recommended some Dasequin supplements for one of her hips that seems less than perfect. She has shown no lameness and I don't intend to breed her defect.

Were these prelims?

I know people that have had females come up borderline on prelims but come back OFA Good at the 2 year mark. I think it really depends on who interprets the x-rays. If you don't plan to breed, I wouldn't worry. I'd resubmit if you did plan to breed. Those 2 weeks before her cycle could have impacted the rating, but again, I wouldn't' worry too much unless you were planning to breed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes prelims she is 19 months. I will be having them redone just for peace of mind. She has never shown any sign of lameness in that leg, except for the time she injured it running into a 2 inch diameter tree in her attempt to port round it lol

Not for breeding, my daughter wants to get involved with agility dock diving and fast cats, we just didn't want to put her through it if she has bad hips. She will still be getting her daily walks, she drives me nuts if she doesn't get them, I am just recovering from a sprained ankle so she hasn't been getting as much exercise as she is used to it has been a long couple of weeks lol

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
" we just didn't want to put her through it if she has bad hips."

She doesn't have bad hips so you are OK on this...

For other folks reading this --- If she did have bad hips, if the hips don't bother the dog, "put her through it" if she likes it.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have heard of dogs that didn't pass OFA when the prelims were done. Then they were done again at 2, and were borderline. When the dog was re-xrayed later in its life (forget the reason why!) OFA said the hips were now good!

So, don't despair! Things can change as the dog grows and matures.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have heard of dogs that didn't pass OFA when the prelims were done. Then they were done again at 2, and were borderline. When the dog was re-xrayed later in its life (forget the reason why!) OFA said the hips were now good!

So, don't despair! Things can change as the dog grows and matures.
My breeder said the same thing. She recommends I go to the vet she uses , says he is very good. She had hers done at her regular vet and it came back mild (prelims) had this other vet redo them and she came back fair. When she showed me the x-rays this other vet did I was amazed with how much clearer they looked than mine. The only problem is this vet is a 3 hour 15 minute drive from where I live, which is totally doable but will be rough with 4 year old child.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts