German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I understand teaching a dog to place on 1 specific place in the house or outside ( a bed, a mat, a rug etc), but how do they know where to place when your away from their "trained" place?

·
Registered
954 Posts
They don't. A dog will start to offer different behaviors because the context has changed. How can you expect a dog who is trained to go to a specific object, go to a place that has no object? I suppose you could take a towel with you everywhere you went and teach the dog to place at a towel. I see the value of teaching the dog to go to a place as a way of helping the dog learn how to learn by self discovery/indirect learning. If you want the dog to stay in a particular place away from home, work on teaching a long down.

·
Super Moderator
32,125 Posts
If you want a portable "place", you can train with a mat and simply bring that with you. As you train, use the mat in different areas so the dog understands that he's to go to the mat and chill on it until released, no matter where you are.

When I worked with Halo and then Cava, each day we did mat training was in a different room in the house and also in the backyard, so they both learned to generalize to the mat, not where the mat was. This was very useful for training classes, particularly when the instructor was explaining and demonstrating what we were going to work on next because it gave them something to do. I rolled up the mat, cinched it with a strap and carried it under my arm. As soon as I put it on the floor, they'd go to it, lay down, and wait calmly until we were ready to do something together.

You can also simply train a down command as others have suggested above, but there's no reason you can't do both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts