German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old female White GSD & saarloos wolfhound mix. i love her to death. i've have had her for about 2 months now, she is very obedient with me at least, still doesn't listen quite as well with my husband.
i spend all my time with her day and night my husband works 14 hours a day so it mostly just me and her, i don't work i stay at home and there are not kids or other family members, so it is literally most of the time just me and her.
she doesn't treat me the way she treats others, yes she does listen to me the most but it seems like she gets a lot more exited when she sees my husband in the morning than me and when friends come over she is always happy and licking their faces but doesn't even look at me, yet when i leave the house and leave her alone with my husband its like it the end of the world and she wont stop peeing or crying all around the house :confused: she is always with me but wont play gently like she does with my friends and husband, when i play with her she want to play rough and bite and pull on toys, but when my friends come over she wants to cuddle with them and lick their faces. i don't understand she is sending mixed messages, is she bored with me? or does she not like be but sticks around out of loyalty? she really does follow me everywhere around the house but never gives me half the attention she gives my husband when he comes home and plays with her a bit.
am i doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You are fine. You are the center of her universe and she may be taking you for granted. I would suggest doing some obedience work with her. Try making her settle on her bed while you do a household task. Make her wait at doors. Leave her with your husband for short amounts of time. If you can, take her to a group obedience class.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
leave her alone with my husband its like it the end of the world and she wont stop peeing or crying all around the house
This kind of anxiety isn't good for the dog. I would follow PP's advice, you should condition this out of her. Obedience, crate time, more time with husband while you leave, etc....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Here's a link for you from the Dog whisperer discussing wolf hybrids/ mixes

It is worth a watch as even if you don't like the show as there are wolf experts talking about wolves aand how they sometimes are not suitable as a pet.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
She doesn't see your husband or other people for 14 hours a day or longer and gives them excited loving greetings when she does................

That doesn't mean she doesn't love you-----it means that you are there so much she doesn't have the chance to give you a loving and excited greeting very often.

Give her one on one time----not just being there, give her your full and undivided attention. Talk to her. Sing to her. Play with her. Take her on walks. You don't bond by having her in a room you are in and ignoring her. Give her a reason to be excited, happy and loving.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give her one on one time----not just being there, give her your full and undivided attention. Talk to her. Sing to her. Play with her. Take her on walks. You don't bond by having her in a room you are in and ignoring her. Give her a reason to be excited, happy and loving.
I dont think there is a dog in the world that gets more attentiong from one person like mine does from me, we play, sing, while im cooking im talking to her and telling her what i do, and we have a few hours a day for training basics

·
Registered
290 Posts
My pup does the same thing. I'm home all day with him and he listens more to me than my husband, but my husband gets the excited greetings. I'm the one doing the training, so it makes sense that he listens more to me, but when my hubs comes home, it's all wild, crazy fun in the back yard, so of course he gets excited to see him. Not that he loves my husband more (anyone who knows him knows he's a mama's boy), but we just represent different things to him. I do play with him in the yard and take him on walks, but it's less crazy than what my husband does with him. Dogs do tend to pick a person though to be their favorite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts