German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl is 7,5 months old. She started bleeding today and has swollen her parts.

I've read: heat lasts about 3 weeks. First week it will be bloody. Then it turns waterly and she will be able to have puppies for next 2 weeks. Is it accurate? I know that it might differ. But as a man, this isn't really my thing. And I need some basic guidlines. :|

Also I read, that small breeds get heat at 6 months, large at 24 months. Isn't it a little bit early for GSD?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My current GSD had her first heat at only 7 months. The female before that first came in at a year old, so there is a LOT of individual variation. I think the average for the GSD is about a year for a first heat. Even very large breed dogs should have had their first season before 2 years of age.

As far as the fertile period goes, that varies, too, even with the same female. For instance, one of my females was ready to breed, according to progesterone tests, at day 11. Next time I wanted to breed her, she was nowhere near ready on day 11 of her heat! Some of her heats are shorter (generally the one during the winter) and some are longer. One once went a full 30 days before she stopped bleeding!

If you want to keep your female completely safe from having puppies, just assume she is fertile throughout the entire time she has any discharge. Sometimes a female has so little bleeding that the owner doesn't notice it, and she can be further along in her heat than you think!

Also, NEVER underestimate a dog's drive to reproduce. The stories I've heard!! Female opened her kennel, climbed an 8 ft. fence to get in with the stud. Stud broke out of his crate and chewed through TWO doors. I've even heard of litters conceived through a chain link fence!! [Yeah....OUCH!!]

Supervise her at ALL times when she's outside, and it's a good idea to drive her to the park to take her for a walk, so she doesn't leave a trail to your front door that an eager suitor can follow!

I once had a randy male mutt camped out on my doorstep for TWO WEEKS when my female was in season. I sent him off to the pound twice, but he STILL came back!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And once all the discharge stops, she is safe to go back to her routine? Is that the sign, I'm waiting for?

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I start counting from the first day I see blood. So 21 days for sure that you need to be vigilant. I usually add 4 or 5 days to that just to make sure. Typically your dog will come in heat about every 6 to 8 months, but it could be sooner, especially on a young dog. It was less than 5 months this last time between heats for my dog Scarlet.

·
Super Moderator
32,029 Posts
Also I read, that small breeds get heat at 6 months, large at 24 months. Isn't it a little bit early for GSD?
Where did you read that? I've never heard of a first heat at two years old! To be totally safe, I allow a full 4 weeks after first signs of discharge, since heats last an average of 3 weeks. Better safe than sorry.

Dena was already spayed when we got Keefer as a puppy, but he was around 4 when Halo went into heat. Even though he was neutered several years prior at around 15 months old he still reacted to her. It was easy to see when she was in standing heat because she'd raise her tail to him and he'd climb on and hump her, lol. We discouraged it but he'd keep trying, bless his heart. Once he was no longer interested and she wasn't flaunting herself at him, we figured she was probably done.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was taught 21 days as well. Since I am crazy I just mark a month. I was told years ago by a breeder to follow 7 days coming in, 7 days ready, 7 days leaving, obviously that's a loose estimate but it helps track approximate times. I have had bitches come in heat the first time anywhere from 6-18 months. No puppies will be happening here. The rule that I follow is for 1 month from the first drops they go nowhere without me, on leash or securely fenced, eyes on at all times. If I leave the house and there are males in the house we do crates in separate rooms, doors closed securely in between. Remember that it isn't just the males that can be determined to procreate. I have seen bitches pull some pretty snaky crap to get to their boyfriends, and they seem to be even more creative then the boys if they choose to be.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
All I know is that when my dominant male plugs his nose into either one of the girl's behind, I am going to be in for a long FIVE full weeks of crate, rotate, and singing the blues.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you read that? I've never heard of a first heat at two years old! To be totally safe, I allow a full 4 weeks after first signs of discharge, since heats last an average of 3 weeks. Better safe than sorry.

Dena was already spayed when we got Keefer as a puppy, but he was around 4 when Halo went into heat. Even though he was neutered several years prior at around 15 months old he still reacted to her. It was easy to see when she was in standing heat because she'd raise her tail to him and he'd climb on and hump her, lol. We discouraged it but he'd keep trying, bless his heart. Once he was no longer interested and she wasn't flaunting herself at him, we figured she was probably done.
A lot of sources say that!

For example if you google "dog heat", first result is webmd.com, which says: "
When Does A Dog Experience Her First Estrus?
First estrus generally occurs when an unspayed female dog is between six and 24 months old.
"

·
Registered
836 Posts
The 24 months is more so for giant breeds. My girl is in her second heat right now, perfectly timed 6 months after her first. She gets crazy snuggly and demanding, and I’m happy that she hates males during it, lol! I watch her like a hawk though. Be very careful of the strays around your neighbourhood - you might accumulate quite the following.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
How are you going to manage this with your adopted street dog? I count a full month from the first drop of blood. Also watch the behavior of your male dog and the responses from the female. Usually females flirt and play the 'catch me if you can' ('playing hard to catch') game: lying on their elbows, butt up , ears back to invite the male to play. If he falls for her she jumps away.
Good luck. Hope you don't end up with a litter ten little mutts. I think it is a rule that unplanned litters are huge.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My stray dog is outside dog. He stays outside, except for a short visits in the house, when he wants food. So backyard doors will be now closed all day, in opposite of being opened all day. And my girl will be all day inside with me.

As I posted recently, we have motocycle to drive around with both my dogs. So Im capable of taking her for a walks to a places, where are no dogs. Unfortunately it means, that Archie (stray dog male) will be now neglected. Because I can't see how could he drive/go on a walk with us.

Right now our schedule is: 2 hours afternoon walk in remote areas ( playing, swimming, training) + 10 minutes night walk in the village. So GSD girl will be getting only 2 hours and Archie will be getting only 10 minutes walks.

Of course all my plans will change once I get first experience with having a dog in the heat. :smile2: My entire life we/I always had only males.

·
Super Moderator
32,029 Posts
First estrus generally occurs when an unspayed female dog is between six and 24 months old.[/I]"
Ah, okay. That doesn't mean that large breeds won't have a first heat until 24 months old, just that the first heat will occur somewhere in the 6 to 24 month range. I think Dena was around 8 months, Halo was close to a year, maybe 11 months. I don't remember with Cassidy and Sneaker.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Angel went into heat around 8 months old, her vulva was swollen a week be4 hand it was obvious. then she had spotting and i made sure she was on lock and key for the next month.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Its coyotes that are after Inga when she's in heat. They leave their calling cards on the driveway. No off leash potty breaks at night for Inga!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just wanted to add that I had some females that came into heat three times a year. Anyone keeping a young, unspayed female should watch her carefully and see what's normal for her.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I just wanted to add that I had some females that came into heat three times a year. Anyone keeping a young, unspayed female should watch her carefully and see what's normal for her.
I have an 8 year old female who came in heat 3 times a year up until this past year when she settled for two 6 week long heats. So yes there is no "normal". Again with that word I dislike. Lol.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So glad you started this thread! Mei will be six months VERY soon and we have NO idea what to expect lol.

No one has asked this question yet....and my wife asked me this too...

Can she wear a dog diaper during heat?

Ya, we're pretty clueless as well. Just been told to keep her in site at all times, and no social classes during. We plan on spaying her, still researching our options, after she has a heat cycle or two.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can she wear a dog diaper during heat?

Ya, we're pretty clueless as well. Just been told to keep her in site at all times, and no social classes during. We plan on spaying her, still researching our options, after she has a heat cycle or two.

Yes, she can wear a "sanitary product." The question is, will she?

I covered my floor with light-colored sheets and kept the dogs on them. As long as I was near they didn't mind. They were easy to launder and let me see literally, where they were along in the process.

Good Luck, and don't trust her.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yes, she can wear a "sanitary product." The question is, will she?

I covered my floor with light-colored sheets and kept the dogs on them. As long as I was near they didn't mind. They were easy to launder and let me see literally, where they were along in the process.

Good Luck, and don't trust her.:wink2:

@PRoberts I have a stack of old sheets specifically for this! Other people think I am crazy, but the diapers I found messy and none of my girls kept them on. I guess people do things that work for them, I have mostly laminate flooring so I drop the sheets over the few rugs and on Shadows loveseat and keep the mop handy. I have never had an issue and as you said it keeps things visible. Lol.

For those who want to use diapers, they do NOT prevent breeding! Seen a few with oops litters because owners thought they did.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I keep bitches apart from dogs for the entire 3 weeks. Some bitches ovulate very early in the heat cycle. Others ovulate late. Usually the darker blood turns lighter around the time of ovulation. Usually dogs will change how they relate to her. At first they are just grooming her and checking her out. Then they will try to mount her. At some point, she will stand and flag her tail. That is called standing heat. Usually there is a three day window.

All bitches are different.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts