German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question.... But, how do you water your dog on long hikes?

This spring has been pretty cool so far in Wisconsin. So far when we go somewhere together, I just keep a gallon of water in an old milk jug and plastic water bowl in the back of the car. When pup looks hot or thirsty, I just pour him a bowl, and off we go.

Pup is getting older so our hikes are getting longer. We now stop for water breaks along the way. Does anyone have any special tricks they like to use for carrying and provided water for their pup on longer hikes?

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
If it’s under 75, flat to moderate terrain, 5 miles or less... I typically wait until I’m back at the car and chill for a bit before offering water (to prevent tanking).

I’m not a heavy water drinker myself, so in the 5-10 mile range, in similar conditions as described before... I’ll split what’s in a standard water bottle between us and offer again at the car.

for extended hikes or backpacking trips, like Tim, my dog packs his own water and depending on the environment, will likely take a quick dip in a shallow creek or such to aid in cooling off.

I have this hydration pack and love it! I was skeptical of the collapsible water bottles at first, but they’ve lasted 4yrs so far. Singletrak™ Dog Hydration Pack | Ruffwear

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
I have the collapsible bowls with some water bottles in a back pack. When beaches are in season beaches do have hosing off areas where I can grab the dogs water when need it. There is a local park with a lot of trails and in the warmer weather they have a water spicket. On really long walks through the neighborhood or bike rides there have been times I borrowed someone’s sprinkler it was on in warmer weather.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
Next time I go to farm and fleet, I'll pick up a collapsible bowl. I like the prices and quality of farm supply stores over pet stores.

I'll order a hydration pack. I do like to get pup the occasional high-end gadget :)

Pup has not blown his winter coat yet. He sheds enough that I need to vacuum every day, but we haven't had the massive shedding yet.

I am constantly amazed at GSD's instincts. When I sit down to take a break in the shade, pup will find a pile of leaves or loose dirt and paw at it until he turns up some nice moist soil. He sighs and lays down in the cool place. It is messy but effective :)

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Years ago I started teaching all my dogs to drink water out of my cupped hand. I can pour slowly from a bottle and they drink. I also teach them to drink from a hose. These two skills have been useful over the years in a number of odd situations.
When I hike I carry a small canvas type collapsible dish. It will leak but it holds water long enough to hydrate them. I use my cool cup to carry water for them and I drink the warm stuff in the collapsible bottle, lol. I figure I am not wearing a fur coat.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Hello davewis!

We hike in Arizona and it already feels like summer right now.
:oops:

Josie wears a cooling vest on our hikes, it's the one in the avatar. Before we head out I douse it with water and repeat as needed during our hikes. I've always worn my hydration vest when we hike but I do not use the hydration bladder instead I have collapsible soft flasks I also use for trail running.
I carry 3-4 500mL flasks. On a 4 or 5 mile hike I use about 1 bottle for the cooling vest, the other bottle for us to drink and the other bottles as back up. I do not drink much water when I'm out, instead I stay well hydrated through the work week and the day before an outing.
Ultimately we avoid the heat as much as possible by getting out before or at first light, and off the trails by 8am. I apply Mushers secret to her paws before we hike, carry a collapsible water bowl for her.
Right now our lows are in the mid 50s and highs are already up to 90. Once the sun is out there, it gets hot quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might be a stupid question.... But, how do you water your dog on long hikes?

This spring has been pretty cool so far in Wisconsin. So far when we go somewhere together, I just keep a gallon of water in an old milk jug and plastic water bowl in the back of the car. When pup looks hot or thirsty, I just pour him a bowl, and off we go.

Pup is getting older so our hikes are getting longer. We now stop for water breaks along the way. Does anyone have any special tricks they like to use for carrying and provided water for their pup on longer hikes?
Hi... if your dog won't drink from a water bottle make a bowl out of an empty water bottle. Cut it in half long ways. It then will fit onto a full bottle of water. Instant water bowl.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello davewis!

We hike in Arizona and it already feels like summer right now.
:oops:

Josie wears a cooling vest on our hikes, it's the one in the avatar. Before we head out I douse it with water and repeat as needed during our hikes. I've always worn my hydration vest when we hike but I do not use the hydration bladder instead I have collapsible soft flasks I also use for trail running.
I carry 3-4 500mL flasks. On a 4 or 5 mile hike I use about 1 bottle for the cooling vest, the other bottle for us to drink and the other bottles as back up. I do not drink much water when I'm out, instead I stay well hydrated through the work week and the day before an outing.
Ultimately we avoid the heat as much as possible by getting out before or at first light, and off the trails by 8am. I apply Mushers secret to her paws before we hike, carry a collapsible water bowl for her.
Right now our lows are in the mid 50s and highs are already up to 90. Once the sun is out there, it gets hot quickly.
You are a wealth of information! I am taking notes. I'm in Tempe, but your gadgets are very cool.

I've been using this Aquabot spray bottle for short walks. It can mist or squirt a narrow stream, which Jupiter will take in his mouth when he's thirsty.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You are a wealth of information! I am taking notes. I'm in Tempe, but your gadgets are very cool.

I've been using this Aquabot spray bottle for short walks. It can mist or squirt a narrow stream, which Jupiter will take in his mouth when he's thirsty.

View attachment 559247
Haha we have that and I was always accidentally shooting Luc in the face with it! Also good for cleaning off dogs while camping if they have found poop to roll in (not saying it happened to us...but)

Luc had a cooling vest but he went decrepit enough we didn't have much chance to use it.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I live in the PNW, there is water everywhere so I never carry it. Never had a dog get sick from drinking from the rivers or creeks.
I got used to training the dogs not to drink from water sources because in the area we were in most were polluted. It's a problem in a lot of areas. It's not like you can tell them this one is ok but that one isn't. Even in of the beaten path areas mines and mills upstream can present issues.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I got used to training the dogs not to drink from water sources because in the area we were in most were polluted. It's a problem in a lot of areas. It's not like you can tell them this one is ok but that one isn't. Even in of the beaten path areas mines and mills upstream can present issues.
I guess we are spoiled. Before I knew of Beaver Fever or any other scary creature, I used to drink from the creeks as well. Never got sick, just smarter.

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
I have Ruffwear packs that I used for Halo (Approach) and Keefer (Palisades). I haven't tried them on Cava yet but I think Halo's will fit her. They're good for longer hikes in hot weather, where I would bring more water than for shorter hikes or cooler weather. I use Platypus bottles in the packs. SoftBottle™ .5L | 1.0L | Bottles | Platypus I keep a few partially filled in the freezer and then fill the rest of the way before using. The ice keeps the water cool for hours.

I also have a lumbar pack that holds two water bottles, one for each of us, with a small zippered spot between them that fits a collapsible bowl and other small items. It's the Buzz II by Mountainsmith. I've had it for a long time and I'm not sure they even make it anymore. Cava says, this smells like a hike!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts