German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't have an SUV or truck (like me) to fit a crate into- how do you ride in your car with your dog?

The first time I brought Malachi to the vet, I found him trying to get to the window on MY side of the car, which meant me trying to look under or over his head and neck to drive. NOT GOOD. He eventually laid down in my lap..but I'm just thinking...there HAS to be a better way!

The last time, I was able to keep him in the back seat, which worked pretty well. We will be doing a lot of driving together, so..I'm interested in how others do it!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda Civic and have a 36" crate crammed in the back seat! lol

It's a bit small for my girl, but keeps her secure. I'm looking at new vehicles, but I can't stand car shopping, so it's been a rather slow process! lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have vehicles large enough for a crate but Shasta rides freely. She pretty much tucks herself under a seat in my van or lays on the backseat and sleeps. Dax currently rides in his crate but he's quickly outgrowing it. Try a harness to keep him in the backseat and on one side of the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I just got Kyle, but a crate wasn't even thought of.
He rides easily in the backseat of my Impreza and my Tundra. Previous owner had a Saturn Ion.
Getting him in the Tundra will become a problem as it is so high, and he doesn't wait for me to flip a seat up.
I could see how Malachi sticking his head out your window is not good.
Just open a window in the back for him, just not far enough for him to jump out.

What kind of car do you have?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I have a Ford Focus, Jazzy sits in the front seat and Delgado sits in the back seat. Both are belted in with a harness and car seatbelt

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have vehicles large enough for a crate but Shasta rides freely. She pretty much tucks herself under a seat in my van or lays on the backseat and sleeps. Dax currently rides in his crate but he's quickly outgrowing it. Try a harness to keep him in the backseat and on one side of the car.
My problem with them riding free is that if you're in an accident they become projectiles and can also be thrown from the vehicle.

For me, my pup has to be crated, because we go to sporting events so it lets me keep my vehicle open so it doesn't get too hot, but I could see a belt working if you don't need the crate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just got Kyle, but a crate wasn't even thought of.
He rides easily in the backseat of my Impreza and my Tundra. Previous owner had a Saturn Ion.
Getting him in the Tundra will become a problem as it is so high, and he doesn't wait for me to flip a seat up.
I could see how Malachi sticking his head out your window is not good.
Just open a window in the back for him, just not far enough for him to jump out.

What kind of car do you have?
Yeah, it's a given that I have to open ALL the windows for him slightly. He HAS to stick his face out the window! I currently am driving a Buick Park Ave-which is pretty roomy for a car. It's the first car I've ever owned-I've always had an suv or truck...and am missing them now!!

Shade, do the belts/harnesses work well? Is it a special type just for traveling?

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I use a seat belt cause Thunder sees herself as a inside hood ornament. Lucky if not belted barfs. Chevy just sleeps. I use a foam bridge in the back seats . Got them from Orvis that allows them to lay out and be comfy. Had a blow up one from cares Alot or Amazon cant remember. It was a good investment . Lucky used it when we spent a weeek in southern WV . between it and his seatbelt harness he never hurled. I have two dogs with either hip or shoulder issues and we use a ramp. Do your seats fold down in the back/ That was how I survived traveling w/ Daisy and Lucky in the back seat of Silverado Crew Cab. The seat belt would help Malachi stay out of your line of vision and keep him safe.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Shade, do the belts/harnesses work well? Is it a special type just for traveling?
Unfortunately no matter whether they're in a harness or crate in an accident the dog is likely going to be hurt rolling around. I prefer the seatbelt to the crate as I have no need of a crate anyways so it works for me

The one I'm using currently clips right into the seatbelt holder just like a normal seatbelt and is adjustable. The one I have is not the greatest and I do want to get something much more sturdy but haven't found one I like yet. The major issue is shipping to Canada from US retailers :rolleyes:

The biggest mistake with a harness is giving the dog too much freedom, my dogs can sit and stand up easily but that's it.

Here's a good updated thread regarding seatbelts

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/277466-2013-update-crash-worthy-seatbelts.html

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I think our dog Molly was born to love cars. When we picked her up at the breeder at 8 weeks old, we put her in the back seat of our BMW sedan and she just laid there, calmly for our 45 minute ride. Not even car sick, we had to drive down a windy mountain road.

Molly assigned a seat for herself and she stays there, rear driver's side. She only starts moving around when we get 1/2 mile from home, then she gets a little excited.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Unfortunately no matter whether they're in a harness or crate in an accident the dog is likely going to be hurt rolling around. I prefer the seatbelt to the crate as I have no need of a crate anyways so it works for me

The one I'm using currently clips right into the seatbelt holder just like a normal seatbelt and is adjustable. The one I have is not the greatest and I do want to get something much more sturdy but haven't found one I like yet. The major issue is shipping to Canada from US retailers :rolleyes:

The biggest mistake with a harness is giving the dog too much freedom, my dogs can sit and stand up easily but that's it.

Here's a good updated thread regarding seatbelts

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/277466-2013-update-crash-worthy-seatbelts.html
Oh for sure they can still be hurt in an accident, but they will hopefully not be thrown through your windshield!

I have to use a crate, but I think the seatbelts work well too.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Oh for sure they can still be hurt in an accident, but they will hopefully not be thrown through your windshield!

I have to use a crate, but I think the seatbelts work well too.
Absolutely, just like a human in a seatbelt can still be injured as well. The point is to use it correctly to minimize the chance of injury

Even my small poodle is belted in, both for her safety and the others in the car

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a car seat hammock for the back seat, although he can easily step over it, it makes him feel safer (because he cannot fall between seats and he lays down quickly.

It hangs over the head rests of both the front and back seats, his first few rides we tied his leash to the door handle in the back to teach him to stay back there (short 15-20 minute rides) and then he was free after that....

·
Registered
699 Posts
I use a harness and seatbelt leash for all three of my dogs. Our cars are a '91 Lincoln Towncar and an '02 Ford Taurus. I can fit a large airline crate in the back seat of the Lincoln, but I have to put it together inside the car, and take it apart to get it out. I'm hoping to win the lottery, so I can buy a van.

I get upset when I see someone driving with their dog, or worse yet, their baby, in their lap as they are driving. Seriously, how can they even begin to think that it is acceptable? :headbang: My opinion of it is :censored:.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have a 2008 Honda Fit that has had the back seats folded down basically since I drove it off the lot. They're free-roaming in the back and I have a vehicle barrier. I have old industrial rubber belting down that protects from vomit/muddy paws/whathaveyou. I used to let them roam around the whole car but they kept laying down and shifting my car into neutral while driving, which was annoying and potentially dangerous. I've used my car to move sheep, goats, foster dogs, cages full of rats etc. and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have a toyota corolla. Riley just sits to mostly lies down on the back seat and he wears a seat belt. I'm pretty sure my other medium sized dog will fit back there with him , but my smallest dog would have to be in the front. We have not traveled as a group yet.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a kurgo hammock in the backseat of my 2012 Civic. It gives the dogs an extra foot width wise throughout the backseat. Works out well. We were fostering a female shepherd and both of them could easily fit in my backseat.

Now we're just back to our permanent resident poopheads, The GSD and scnhoodle. They fit pretty well together.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
280 Posts
I also have a hammock in the back seat of my Honda CRV. Jade just lays down and goes to sleep.

I tried a harness and seatbelt when she a little bit younger but she totally freaked out, I am screaming and howling and barking so loudly that it was a major safety hazard because she was so distracting. The first trip she actually unbuckled the seatbelt and got loose, all the while screaming bloody murder. I thought it was a freak accident and tried again. Second trip she again managed to unbuckle the seat belt but this time it got tangled around her neck and I had to quickly pull over on the highway because she was in the back strangling herself trying to get out. No more seatbelts or harnesses after that, she is much calmer without them and staying nicely in the backseat.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Faelan rides in the backseat of my Subaru Impreza freely. I usually have the window down just enough to where he can stick his head out, but be unable to fit his body through.

Only problem is I've had to resign my back windows to being completely covered in nose smudges and back seat covered in the Hair That Never Goes Away.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts