German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Teach her the command "Quiet" for doorbells, or t.v.

How I Teach It:

Takes some treats(or if your dog isn't food motivated, use a clicker and praise) hold them in your hand. Trigger the barking by ringing the door bell, and hold the treat infront of her nose saying "Quiet"

She should stop barking and start focusing on the treat. Once she's quiet give her the treat and repeat the command. Repeat as needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008Teach her the command "Quiet" for doorbells, or t.v.

How I Teach It:

Takes some treats(or if your dog isn't food motivated, use a clicker and praise) hold them in your hand. Trigger the barking by ringing the door bell, and hold the treat infront of her nose saying "Quiet"

She should stop barking and start focusing on the treat. Once she's quiet give her the treat and repeat the command. Repeat as needed.
Once I read this, I tried it with my Shadow. It has helped immensely !!! After 3 days, when the doorbell rings, she barks an alert, then runs to me and sits. treats have stopped, now it's a scratch behind the ears and "Good girl'

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Glad it helped!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Tried this with Mandalay. She ran around and barked, forgot about the treat and did not come back to me until I finally called her. Guess we'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Does she like food better? Or Toys? Praise?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Fruit Gushers. She would eat my foot for a pack of fruit gushers.

For her hard milkbone type crunchy treats, she goes to her room (her crate, but since we bought the HUGE one, I have been calling it her room). Even if I dont ask her to go, when she sees that we have the box of crunchy treats she will take off legging it to her room and wait for one.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Were you using those? I would suggest using her most favorite treats right now just for this, and not for anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts