German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I used a clicker, put the pup on a leash, threw a treat on the floor and when he went for it, I said 'leave it' and tugged the leash to prevent him from getting the treat, clicked and gave him a different treat. When this works, I took the leash off, held one treat in my hand behind my back, put a treat on the floor, said leave it and handed him the treat in my hand- don't let him get the treat on the floor, reward with one in your hand. There are threads with this on video, you'll have to look for it. Drop it is easy- swap a treat for whatever is in his mouth

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thank you guys! I'm sorry I didn't use search in the first place instead of making a thread.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Leave it:

For "drop it" (I use "give", some people use "out" or the German version "aus") I hold a treat right up to the dog's nose, and mark it ("yes!" or with a clicker) when they let go to take the treat. If you're talking about with a toy, you would phase out the food reward as soon as the dog is responding reliably to the command, and use throwing the toy again as the reward - a real life reward.

If you're talking about dropping something you don't want the dog to have, I like to do trading games from the time I get the puppy, so there's a strong foundation of bringing me stuff and getting better stuff in return. You can trade toys for a treat, and then give the toy back or give them a different toy instead. Halo will bring me her bones to hold for her while she chews and lets go of them immediately when asked to. I tell her what a good puppy she is, make her sit, and then release her to take it again. For some reason she really enjoys this!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I teach leave it a little differently. I start with a treat in both hands and close my fists. When the dog goes for the one hand I say "leave it " and the SECOND they back off I give the treat with the OTHER hand...after they get this (it doesn't take long) I start placing the treat on the ground and tell them "leave it" and give them the treat in my hand. If I ever give them the treat I ask them to leave then I pick it up first and then give it to them so I dont confuse them..hope this helps :) Its a wonderful command to teach!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
This is one of the best ones, tells about clicker training AND loading the clicker and the 'leave it'..

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i taught" leave it". if we're out and he wants to
pick something up i can say "no" or" leave it". when we're
playing retreive it games i say "drop it".

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
i taught" leave it". if we're out and he wants to
pick something up i can say "no" or" leave it". when we're
playing retreive it games i say "drop it".
That's great, but the OP wants to know specifically HOW to teach these things. Maybe you can explain in detail how you taught your dog?

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you go to my blog and search on LEAVE IT you can see how I achieved it with karma at 10 weeks . I used a clicker and some hot dog pieces . I was going to use the two handed delicious treat in one hand / scented palm method but too hard with a clicker as well . In the end I just got down on all fours with karma and placed the hot dog bit in front of her . If she made a move all I had to do was firmly say the command again with a warning finger sign between the treat and her muzzle and she picked it up in minutes . I then had her leaving hot dog bits placed on both paws same session !! Now she obeys the command perfectly.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i was teaching leave it i placed a treat
on the floor. i would walk my dog (leashed) to the
treat. i would let him almost touch the treat. then i
say leave it and turn and walk away at the same time
i said leave it. once he got the hang of it i would
unleash him and place a treat on the floor. then i
say ok or get it. once he got close to the treat
i would say leave it. keep in mind he's off leash
and he's running so you have to give time