German Shepherds Forum banner

How Do You Teach A Dog To Stay Out Of A Room?

5K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Cardinal Von Crossbones 
#1 ·
I want my cousins Rott to stay off of my bed and out of my room.

She lets him sleep on her bed and I am ok with that but now he thinks he can jump on my bed and drool on my bed whenever he wants to and I am definitly not ok with that.

So how do I teach him that my room is completely off limits without having to shut my door?

#4 ·
lol

our bedroom and bathroom doors are always shut if were are not around or even if we just jump in the shower.

Mandi would sneak on the beds. Cody would eat/chew clothes or the TP in the bathroom lol

#5 ·
tall baby gate? One of those pads that you plug in to keep them off furniture, lay it in the doorway of your room??

#7 ·
tall baby gate? One of those pads that you plug in to keep them off furniture, lay it in the doorway of your room??
I have 2 heavy baby gates but honestly, that wouldn't stop him, he's like a bulldozer!

I want Sin to be able to get to his crate, it's the only place he'll lay down and take a nap. His crate door is always open for him.

#9 ·
I need something with a weigh alarm or something! Biff is heavier than everyone else. The alarm needs to go off when he steps into my room.

Now can someone create this device please!

#12 ·
whenever he even goes near your room, correct him. He cant even think its okay to LOOK at your bedroom door much less go near it. I cant agree with the static matic because he would learn to jump over it and it would also prevent the cats and your dogs from going into their place. baby gates wouldnt work either again because he could either jump it or plow through. really all i can think you can do is correct whenever he goes near your room. You basically have to make your room a VERY bad place to be. given the way he's stubborn about the humping Sinister and obviously just generall brattyness, your room can be the greatest place in the world for your animals but for Biff it has to be the worse possible place he could be. VERY unfriendly room.

#13 ·
a friend of mine ran a piece of invisble fence wire across her stairs to prevent her dogs from going upstairs, of course you have to get the collar for HIM, it won't affect the other animals if they aren't wearing the collar

#15 ·
thats actually a very awesome idea.

#17 ·
For those of you that were interested in owning a Rottweiler, they are pretty much disgusting.

All Biff does is drool and fart.

I'm not talking a little slobber here or there, I am talking buckets full.

His farts clear the room and are probably the worst farts I have ever smelt. It's constant farting. :sick::sick::sick:

I will never own one. NEVER.

#20 ·
His farts clear the room and are probably the worst farts I have ever smelt. It's constant farting. :sick::sick::sick:
Your cousin might want to consider feeding a different food. Something is not agreeing with him if he is farting that much. Raven has farted once in three years.

#18 ·
But you also have to train him. You can't just zap him whenever he gets near the room. You need to come up with a command. "stop" may be good. Train him just like you would outside on an e-fence. You walk them around the perimeter and when they step over, you correct them or lure them. Whichever.

#22 ·
One thing you have to be careful of with invisible fences is barrier frustration between the dogs. If Sinister is in your room and Biff wants to come in but gets zapped, that can result in aggression directed to Sinister. It sounds like you are already having some issues with him and the other animals, so be very careful using IF in close quarters. I think it'd be less of an issue with all dogs confined by the IF instead of one confined and one (or two? I'm assuming Rogue is out of the picture by this point) not.

As for the farting, sounds like a diet issue for sure.

#24 ·
Boundaries are actually not that difficult to train. Boundaries are something that is already instinct for dogs. You just need to teach him what the boundary is.

If he steps into the room, correct. When he chooses not to, reward. Reinforce, reinforce, reinforce.

You can also use body blocking. When the puppy tries to enter, you body block, or use your hands to block. When he stops trying to enter, immediately give a treat.

While you are in the training phase, you might want to keep the door shut when you can't monitor.

#25 ·
We've taught Hondo not to go through the gate towards the barn. Even when the gate is wide open, he'll stop and wait for us. It took a while, with a lot of reward - but it's working. He still goofs up once in a while, but normally corrects himself and runs back to where he was supposed to stop and then dances around.

#27 ·
I remember watching an episode of "It's Me Or The Dog" and this couple wanted to teach their dog to stay out of the kitchen. They would go into the kitchen and when the dog went to follow they walked towards the dog and kinda into him until he backed out of the room and they made him sit on the other side and gave him a treat. I think that I am going to use this method, the dog on tv seemed to get it pretty quickly and I think the Rott can learn this.

What do you guys think?

#29 ·
I remember watching an episode of "It's Me Or The Dog" and this couple wanted to teach their dog to stay out of the kitchen. They would go into the kitchen and when the dog went to follow they walked towards the dog and kinda into him until he backed out of the room and they made him sit on the other side and gave him a treat. I think that I am going to use this method, the dog on tv seemed to get it pretty quickly and I think the Rott can learn this.

What do you guys think?
Yes! Please try that. All this talk about shock collars and even re-homing is a bit much just for a dog going into a room. Plus since when is it the dogs fault that he likes to sleep on a soft bed, or he drools and farts, please give the guy a break..

The above poster nailed it, dogs understand boundaries very clearly. As an example I have a word for my dogs "oot da room", and even though I showed them what that meant (by walking into them until they left the room) in one room, they are able to generalize very well. They know boundaries.

Leave the door open, sit in a place you can see. When he goes in there, walk in after him, tell him firmly to get out while you walk into him so that he turns and retreats. Keep walking at him until he turns his head and retreats a bit (a few steps at least) on his own, do not stop at the point that he's halfway facing your room and moving his body away only as you walk towards him. I personally do not think you need to give him treats for being outside the room, he will get the message where he can and can't go.

Once he gets that, go inside the room, do something interesting like sitting on the floor etc., and when he tries to follow you in, same thing. Then try going away from your room, calling him over and praising him for a job well done. It will probably not take long, and once you learn how to walk a dog away (similar to yielding), you'll have a great tool you can use in training other dogs to move without pulling or pushing them with your hands.

#31 ·
An 8 month old Rott, or any 8 month old does not need an E-collar.
They need time, patience, treats, a little physical correction if needed, understanding, training, socialization, and exercise.

#32 ·
But what do you think about me using this method?

What do you guys think?

#33 ·
I would agree with the method. Shenzi knows 'get out of _____(kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, litter box...)' but I want her to permantly stay out of the kitchen. So the last week or two I've been reinforcing that her feet do not touch the tile floor. This method has worked so far, but if I'm doing dishes or something I just say get out of the kitchen, she gets out and throw her a wet treat. Seems to work.

#35 ·
I agree with the body blocking technique, so long as you're consistent, and although it may take a number of training sessions for him to really get what you're showing him lol, it should work.
After he's kind of got the idea, you could try putting him on a partial reinforcement schedule, only just rewarding some of the time that he gets it right, and his new behavior should stick better as you start giving him less rewards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.