German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I went through the freezer today and found quite a few bits of meat that had that dried out "freezer burn" look to them :( So I put them in the trash but it made me wonder how I can avoid that?

My minced up stuff I pack into plastic takeaway containers which works brilliantly and the chicken frames and necks seem to be ok in tough ziploc bags. But anything in normal freezer bags like brisket/marrow bones, ox heart etc seems to suffer?

Any suggestions or ideas??

Cheers

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have a seal n'vac sealer, works great.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Dogs can have freezer burnt meat. It is just dehydrated - there is no danger in feeding it. I routinely ask people to give me their old freezer-burnt meats when they are cleaining out their freezers. Freezer burn alters the consistency and taste, so that it is inedible to us humans, but the dogs don't care, and there is nothing unsafe about it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if it's bone??
I may have to fish those out of the bin then - it was a fair bit of meat I threw out and I felt bad wasting it.
I did wonder if freezer burn was like freeze dried, because it looked similar to their freeze dried treats :)
Thank you!!!

A vaccum sealer thing will be added to the shopping list along with a meat grinder :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts