German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sterilise is prolly not the correct word but just for giggles i am going to try knock my dog back a bit by having a group of indentical orbee balls hidden and only play with him if he can 'pick" out the one i put my hands all over which requires the others have no scent.

i will buy brand new orbees and put them in clip seal bags untill i figure out how to "de-scent" them. they will obviously carry scent from the store?

all the ways i can think of sound tedious eg washing and handling with surgical gloves, but surgical gloves themselves have a distinct smell so that would not work. wash and handle with tongs and place in sealed bags untill use???? all sounds painful, any tricks?

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I would just hot scent the ball you mark, use tongs or gloves to handle the others. Because the one you want the dog to indicate has 'your' scent on it, it shouldn't matter if they all carry the pet store or manufacturer scent.
I bought some(6) stainless steel teaballs for scent discrimination and took a sharpee marker to 'mark' the one I was going to put my scent on. The others are picked up without me actually touching them and my dog can pick out the hot one fairly well. I was going to put a treat in the teaball, but just decided to rub it between my hands to see if he'd bring me the hot one....it worked!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i am looking forward to it, also considered collecting freshly fallen sticks from trees as items cos they definately have no scent, the end game is that he will identify the correct scent even with multiple others scents on there but gotta start somewhere - scent work is so much fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts