German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rescue I work with has been hit hard by health problems of the incoming dogs lately. Second batch of Parvo pups, heartworm positive dogs and senior maladies. We no longer can take dogs until our $$ is recouped. We do alot of meet and greets, fundraisers and such, anything for exposure. Our vetting bills are staggering. Are other rescues finding this? We have available foster homes open but cannot commit to any dogs until this is resolved.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We haven't gotten to the point of not taking in new dogs, but we've also taken a huge hit financially over the past year. Heart surgery, hips, elbows, thyroid, a "super-bug" strain of kennel cough that went to pneumonia. We try to work with one vet that gives us really generous discounts, but it isn't always possible. The range of prices will make your head spin. We've had to ask fosters to be much more conservative with vet care. We still want the dogs to get all they need, but skip the $10 nail clip and the $35 ear cleaning.

We just keep trying new fundraising ideas for rescue as they come up. We're sending our Annual appeal letter in the summer this year instead of at the holiday season hoping that will be a less financially stressful time for donors (and maybe they'll feel more like they can afford to give something from the stimulus payments). We do really well anytime we sell hot dogs at events. We invested in a hot dog machine, but have used a grill in the past. The pesty part is making sure someone has the space to store everything.

I'm also thinking of suggesting something I did with another group. Until recently my paying full-time job was with a nonprofit in inner city Philadelphia and we used to do an e-bay event every year. It isn't hard, but takes time. We usually could count on $1,000 from that. Staff, family, friends would donate items and a surprising number of businesses would donate things. A few of us would manage posting the stuff, shipping, etc. It actually was kind of fun - why is that man buying those bustiers?

I listen to NPR a lot and there have been a number of stories about the impact this economy is having on nonprofits and charities. In fact my past job is my past job because of funding disappearing. Until now we've been lucky and always had a nice balance in the bank, but now we're paying a lot more attention to every penny. It always sucks to say no to taking a dog, but especially when the no is because of a budget crunch.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Myoung, please PM me. I can't pm anyone unless someone pms me first from this machine I have at home. I doubt that you'll know this off hand but do you know if your organization has any Seniors or Special needs dogs that I've worked from the Urgent boards. Can you include your website?
Mychance your rescue has alot of great ideas and programs!!! Hopefully some of them can help others.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yard/Tag sales can raise some quick cash. If you advertise that it will go to a rescue, that might draw more people.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
How about car washes? I see those sometimes to help out differnet places.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Our local Sam's Club allows a dog rescue group to solicit donations at the exit on some weekends. They are set up with large story boards and literature but their ace in the hole is: A gorgeous Golden Retriever named Katie, who will come to you and take you money donation and bring it back to her handler and place it in the bucket. People actually crowd around and wait to give their donation to Katie rather than place it in another human volunteers bucket
. I am not sure if she is specifically trained to somehow recognize the different denominations of money or if it was a coindicence but one Sunday as we were leaving my DH only had a $5.00 bill. She bypassed several people with $1.00 bills to take his money first! The crowd ate it up.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Ok I don't have a computer so I can't cut and paste but I'll try to type out these links and hope they work. If not, I will cut and paste them on Monday.
These are places that help rescues!!!
The American German Shepherd Rescue Assoc. They help rescues with vet bills.
http://www.agsra.com
Orthopedic Dogs Silver Lining helps rescues with dogs who have orthopedic needs.
http://www.osif.org/orthofund.htm
The Lifeline Grant Program helps rescues with vets bills.
http://www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html
Lastly theres a place that helps rescues with on line fundraising.
http://www.Fundable.org/
I really hope these links work. Like I said if they don't I will cut and paste on Monday when I have a computer

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Katie sure knows her $$$.

It is a neat idea to train a rescued dog to solicit donations for the rescue. Hmmm! how does one train them?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Three out of four...not bad

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
First, kudos for not taking in what you can afford. I always thought if you NEEDED donations to take a dog, it might be a stretch to take that dog. As in no donations=hardship for the rescue=bad idea.

---Any sales kids do in schools work for dogs. Candles, candy bars, etc. Really great are some healthy ideas: http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cty/waupaca/documents/HealthyFundraisingConnecticut.pdf One I did that I loved (when I worked in a school) was a Daffodil bulb sale using Scheeper's bulbs (Van Englund or something was their bulk sale catalog).
---You can set up to be a Goodsearch http://www.goodsearch.com group
---I-Give and similar shopping sites are nice.
---Getting really good speakers and sponsoring programs like that are nice-a lot of work, but nice!
---Any of your people like to do photos? Another one you could try.
---BrightStar had Guardian Angels-check the website-I think all the information is there. That helped A LOT. Do you have a website?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are having a golf outing next week. We did a bratfry 2 wks ago. We are doing a pet fair today and I am manning one for Sunday. We are low on dogs that I may have to bring mine to have one at the booth! LOL!
Thanks for those links I will look into it for sure.
We are doing the candy bar thing and now aluminum cans. I think an e-bay site may be worth the time looking into it if I can find someone to man it and enjoys doing that type of thing.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
So far this year we've been doing ok. We don't seem to get a lot of dogs with medical issues, but when we get them, they are the big buck cases. Two years ago we had back to back $5,000 dogs in the span of 3 months which for a small group can be devestating. An emergency appeal letter got us through that crisis.

I'm the fundraising coordinator for the group and am always looking for new ideas. I belong to some fundraising email lists on yahoogroups and take some ideas from there. Humane Fundraising is particularly good and has a lot of good tips in their files - http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HumaneFundraising/ Your golf outing should generate some good money. We are starting to plan a wine tasting for the fall which will hopefully do the same.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Thanks Lauri!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
You know me, because I am involved with the same rescue you are. So here goes.

Sometimes I think we take in too many dogs that are very unhealthy. So why we spent big bucks on their care, perhaps other more healthy dogs are being killed because we ran out of dollars. The Vet expenses have just gotten so high for some of our dogs, and as you know one died last night and his sister is not in good shape.

I also know our president has funded the vet care of a dog she took in last week. Nonetheless, if we can adopt three or more and place, versus taking in a very sick dog, is that not a better choice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
moei - we started the ebay thing because the organization was gifted a church building and we needed to sell off the pews, pipe organ, and some architectural elements (we actually made nearly $6,000 that year).

It's really pretty easy to sell stuff on e-bay. We signed up through the Giving Works side which puts a little ribbon on your postings.

http://givingworks.ebay.com

You have to first register with Missionfish and you have to be a 501(c)3 and have an organizational checking account. If you aren't that formalized I'm not sure if you can be a direct seller as an organization, but you can also just be a "regular" seller on ebay and assign a portion of your profit to the charity of your choice.

Then we'd notify the board, staff, families in our programs, etc. and they'd clean their closets, basements, hit up friends for items we could sell. We'd also approach local stores, theme parks, restaurants for actual goods or gift certificates. Then you take a picture, set a price, write a description and upload everything. You may get some questions, but after that they only work is packing the stuff up and mailing it (here's where gift certificates are EXTRA appreciated!)

Hope that helps - I love to browse on ebay so this was always fun for me!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Over the years we have had yard sales, doggie dances (lot of work but fun and a good fundraiser!), basket bingos, our annual reunion, a bowl-a-thon, and we participate in lots of local events.

We offer all kinds of shirts, magnets, dog products, etc. whenever we hold an adoption day.

We solicit donations on our web site and post special pleas for special needs dogs.

Our newsletter usually brings in more $$$ than it costs to print and mail. The annual Christmas letter is another big fund-raiser for us.

This October we are holding our first ever Golf Tournament.

Our rescue has been really blessed with some generous folks who make on-going donations on a regular basis.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Our group has some challenges because we are so spread out, but some things that have worked for us are

1. Candle sale
2. Yard sale
3. Calendar sales (every year we put a couple together featuring dogs adopted in the past year - the owners always buy a lot :>)
4. Local multi-group fundraising events (here in the Northeast there is Pet Rock and this year there is now the Whisker Walk)

5. Petco/Petsmart - sign up as an adoption partner with a local store. We go once a month and have a table and we get a portion of the funds the store raises during their fundraisers.

6. Put pictures / stories on your website. People are more likely to donate if they see who they are helping and it is an individual dog.

Try and get previous adopters involved in the group - they will be your biggest source of support...

Terry
http://www.echodogs.org

1 - 20 of 29 Posts