German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Marking would be stopping by every tree and fire hydrant on a walk and a couple squirts come out versus peeing one time.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Yep, anything after the first pee is marking. The attitude looks a little different, too--when peeing, the dog has an expression of relief and relaxation. When marking, the dog has an expression of interest and possibly arousal, lots of sniffing, sometimes drooling or licking if it's female pee, and he'll try to pee as high up on the object as possible.

I have read that marking contributes to dog-aggressive behavior, so I don't let male dogs mark willy-nilly when walking in the neighborhood. It can cause strained relations with the other dogs in the neighborhood who also consider it "their" territory.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
When my boys pee, they pee for an extended period of time. When they're marking, it's here a squirt, there a squirt, everywhere a squirt squirt!!! And sometimes they'll even have "dry" squirts if they've been marking a lot.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I would judge it by the amount of pee. And a full bladder emptying ends in dribbles and drops (sorry for the visual) versus an obvious cut off of flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts