German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I take kai to the park, i give him kongs, i give him doggy ice lollys, I set up doggy play dates but when we are at him he just sits like a bored child

baring in mind i live pretty much in the city we only have a few parks

theres only so much we could do

What do you do to keep your dog/s busy

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Lots of things. They get treats (frozen raw bones, kongs, beef tendons, pig ears, etc), a variety of toys, obedience, and exercise. Sometimes we just hang out on the couch and cuddle, sometimes we're outside for hours hiking or playing

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is sitting like that right now too. I count it as resting. She just finished killing a milk jug filled with frozen water. So I bet she is tired.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Train your dog to find his ball in the grass. Ask him to sit, throw the ball and ask him to find it 2-3 minutes later. Your "Find your ballie!" shouldn't come too soon. You can do something else instead of sitting, make some move round with your dog, then, after ask him to find the ball. Teach him working with smells. Lemom slices, essentual oils, whatever your imagination and resources might provide. Say, using pine oil, mark two pieces of cotton wool and keep them in a plastic bag. At your park, tether your dog to the tree and ask him to sit and wait. Hide his ball in the same spot together with one cotton wool piece some place away in the bushes. Return to your dog, let him smell the second bit and ask him to find the ball. Thus his ball starts being associated with a particular smell. Help him, lead him to the ball if he doesn't understand his task. Use different smells every day, your dog should know that they could be different, select 4-5 different smells and work only with them. Later your can start hiding some other objects he might play with, a wooden stick for instance. Hide it before you leave the park and ask your dog to find it the next day. Stash this stick in different places, change the levels, put it on the tree branch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi David, that is a really great idea - how did you start to train your dog to recognize scents like that? Do you start with hiding the object very close and rewarding immediately, or just rewarding with a treat when they sniff or.... ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Try to get a lot of park trips for nice walks. Every now and then we'll go to the dog park, she enjoys it much for than I do (not a big fan of dog parks). Inside she likes playing with her ropes and bones

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That isnt bored, thats content. Bored is chewing stuff and causing trouble. My girl is always bored and Im happy when she sits still which is rare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts