German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Early morning play outside usually means that I will either have to use a towel on all 4 paws (what normally happens) or I will have to use a hose and rinse off his legs (happens occasionally). We have a heavy dew and sandy loam soil ... not a great combo in the early morning. Sadly, we have mostly carpeted rooms other than the kitchen and dining room. I can't wait until we are able to replace them with wood or tile.

I'm a lackluster cleaner (thank goodness for my husband), but I'm inspired by this thread. I'm gonna make a list (I love lists) and make a plan of attack for my house!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
"My house is clean enough to be healthy
And dirty enough to be happy"

That's a little wall hanging I have in my kitchen. DH saw it and knew we had to have it, lol. The best thing I ever did was put carpeting on my back porch - it absorbs most of the mud and once it dries and gets vacuumed, it's as good as new. Better out there than in the house, lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My house is usually pretty clean, but I am lucky to have a husband that vacuums a few times a day. We have had the dog groomed and hot oil dipped (it is supposed to help shedding), but it really doesn't matter what we try. He sheds anyway.

To help with mud we finally put his crate right by the door that he uses to go outside, and when he plays in the mud we put him directly in the crate until his paws dry off. He was never cooperative about getting his paws wiped so that has really helped.

My dream is to have a Roomba. I think that would be so great. It could run all day every day cleaning. then I would also get the version that mops floors. I am probably overestimating how well it would work.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
"Make Peace with Imperfection"

I will say that the Metro Air Force Blower is a great ally in blowing dirt off the dog and cleaning all kinds of things around the home. I used it to even clean my dryer vents!

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I clean constantly, and still can't keep up. Dust is never ending. I have huge houseplants/can't wait to get them outside. Because Onyx is allergic to dust mites, I try to vacuum every day. I even run 2 air cleaners but within hours I can see dust. I have 2 parrots too, so that adds to the build up, even though they are in a separate area.
Our air ducts need to be cleaned, I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
My husband is more than a little OCD, so he can't stand any level of "dirtiness" in the house. We vacuum high-traffic areas daily during "mud season" because the dogs track in so much. Other than that, it's not bad keeping things clean, especially considering how much dirt/dust there is outside of our house (new construction). When it's really muddy out they get gated off downstairs until they dry and can be toweled off easily and the dirt can be sucked up. It's quite dusty because of all the crud settling from fresh construction, so I dust daily as well- but the dogs don't really contribute to that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Had to invest in a good vacuum lol!! And keep lint rollers at home, in my purse, at work.

I also have to clean hard floors more often because of tracks, and the massive amounts of water that dribbles out of his mouth after he drinks!!! :wild:

Warden actually does not shed as much as other GSDs I've known, but the one things that's tough to keep clean is the car! It went from "new car" to "dog car" in a matter of days! There's dirt, nose prints, hair, everything...

I don't consider him dirty though, he smells good and feels clean. He gets groomed a couple times a year, and that's it.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you want to have multi animals, which I do, you do your best, but you just get used to it. I keep a towel at the door to wipe feet in wet weather. I put newspapers down often around the water dish to soak up drips before someone walks in them. I try to brush the dogs as much as I can and I bathe them once a month. That's all I can do. Vacuuming seems to help with the smell a lot, so I think it is the hair that smells rather than the animals themselves.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't. I can clean as much as I want but it always seems like there's dirt and fur all over the house. There's just no keeping the house clean.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy, as the saying goes. I sweep the hard floors everyday and vacuum every other day, if we have company coming I vacuum the hard floor corners (just to get that dirt and hair that somehow stays near the baseboards). I have three boys who love to wipe the kitchen floor down with sponges when the water bowl area is messy.
I just don't have enough time nor inclination to re-vamp the whole house for my family everytime they come over and I do hear about it:
"Maybe if you'd just leave the puppy outside, you could get ahead of the housework!"
"How does he shed so MUCH?!"
"Geez, Summer! This place is trashed from those dogs!"
I just gently remind them that it's cleaner than it used to be. I used to have a chronic pain condition where I could barely move so before my surgeries, my house really was trashed. They tend to be quiet after that. My mother in law is another story, however. She's coming for her first visit since we got Yogi the GSD and I will be honest, I'm dreading it. She's one of those who will take your plate and wash it before you're done If you get up to get a drink. She rearranges my kitchen when she comes over and throws away piles of bills and kids projects that I keep ra.dimly throughout the house. I'm a little at a loss of how to handle her expression when she walks in and sees how much the dog sheds. Our other dog has a sleek coat with no undercoat so she doesn't shed at all. Guess I'll let you know in August when she's here, lmao.
I bought a Simplicity vacuum and a dust buster for the last minute German shedderweeds. ;)

*-*Summer*-*

·
Registered
750 Posts
Had to invest in a good vacuum lol!! And keep lint rollers at home, in my purse, at work.

I also have to clean hard floors more often because of tracks, and the massive amounts of water that dribbles out of his mouth after he drinks!!! :wild:

Warden actually does not shed as much as other GSDs I've known, but the one things that's tough to keep clean is the car! It went from "new car" to "dog car" in a matter of days! There's dirt, nose prints, hair, everything...

I don't consider him dirty though, he smells good and feels clean. He gets groomed a couple times a year, and that's it.
Ooooh yes. The car. My van is... Hairy. I have a lint roller in the dash console and that's the extent of my cleaning. Haha. My car is really bad. :/

*-*Summer*-*

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have a Dyson ball vac and a Hoover Floormate. Mostly hardwood w/ a shag area rug. I run the vac every 2-3 days, Floormate twice a week. I keep a Murphys/water solution in a spray bottle and spot clean the paw prints daily.

Dogs enter through the garage where they cross 3 doormats and carpet in the garage I got from Ollies for $60. This method significantly reduces what gets tracked in.
Dogs are not allowed on furniture under any circumstance.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I have one high traffic area where my dogs love to chew stuff. Marrow bones is a big mess maker. I buy one of those 19.99 dollar throw rugs from Walmart to put down and I replace it about every 3 months or so. It saves my carpet.

Other than that my house is full of fur, its a never ending battle and the fur has won. LOL

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Hardwood floors are key. We had some carpeted areas when we rented briefly, it was a nightmare and that was with only one dog...

·
Registered
489 Posts
It helps if your carpet and sofa are the same color as the hair coming off the dog.
I wouldn't have any other breed, they shed ALL the time, it's a part of life.
Buy a good vacume cleaner and groom your dogs.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
i guess I do what I absolutely have to do to have it reasonably clean. I use professional grooming every 6 to 8 weeks. Carpet cleaning as needed and professionally every quarter. The dogs stay in non carpeted areas .We do to except for Lucky who goes where I go.The girls have issues w/ wanting to mark carpet and Chevy appears to be have issues w/ being able to hold for very long. I have a Dyson ,hoover carpet Cleaner , a Spotbot as well as a quick mop filled w/ vinegar and water for our hardwood floors and the tile. I have to scrub the sunroom once a week, I have been wiping down our leather faux couches regularly and I dust only prior to holiday and family get togethers. Compared to 15 years ago no family complaints now cause I just dont care and will as others have say "They live here and give me laughter and love and you dont".Dont let the door hit you where ,...( you know the saying)
I get upset w/ accidents still but the girls are older and I chose to adopt them. Tips: Spot bot is great for carpet. Used it on stains from Lucky's raw bones he brought to the carpet.Really like the Arm and Hammer carpet deodorizer . I use Lysol and bleach on our tile in the sun room. Oh and i use baby gates and pet gates to limit access

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Very easy for me.
I feed raw, I supplement with Feedsentials, I use the K9 Force dryer on him almost daily, and I vacuum often. We have tile all through the house.

I do find it easier here in Florida because there is no mud.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I had this whole nice paragraph typed up and lost the blasted thing when my connectivity hiccuped here at the house. Yes, I keep a decently clean house, spotless it's not, and never will be. I've never been a meticulous house keeper. I have too much to do, too many interests, and life is just too short to sweat the small stuff. I have it down pretty well to a science after over 25 years with multiple dogs in the house at all times. When I built this house I just moved into in December, hardwood or tile everywhere, I insisted! I have one room with carpet and it's my upstairs game room and it's off limits to pups. They don't even go up the stairs to the room. I sweep/mop good once a week and dust then too, use a small carry around shop vac instead of a dust pan and I can hit the baseboards with that too on a weekly basis. I have all their food and water bowls on risers or on a rug, so that helps with sloppy lips. A swiffer takes care of the rest. I keep a basket with puppy towels at each exterior door so I can quickly wipe down a wet pup coming in from a walk. Swiffers are my best friend outside of my dogs and hubby. I can swipe muddy pup paws up very easily. I have several of them strategically placed around the house. The dogs get groomed once a month, more often if shedding heavily and less in the winter months. The girls have their own beds in our bedroom and in the living room and my office. They also have their own bedroom with their crates when they need quiet time. It's rare they ever sleep in their room but it's there when we need it. They mostly use that when we are away and the alarm is on. And most important, I accept that there will be an occasional tumbleweed blowing thru. Since they stay inside unless I'm out with them, they stay pretty clean. That is except when my Flat Coat Retriever goes to the mail box with Daddy and wanders off in the woods and finds the dead squirrel stash to roll in. Then it's immediate shower time! :eek:

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
21 - 40 of 50 Posts