German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs bring in dirt, leaves, grass (just about anything that catches their fur and paws) and shed dander and fur EVERYWHERE (I can especially see it falling off of them when they shake their body or after I vacuum because I have to empty the vacuum in between sometimes since it gets full).

I've gotten use to it (for the most part). But it does irritate me sometimes. I wish I could have a 'clean' home and 'clean' dogs but these two wishes just seem so impossible. I think the reason it bothers me from time to time is because when I get family or friends over; they just don't understand why I've got dogs when they make such a filthy mess...and it really makes me feel like a disappointment to the fam bam...Was especially thinking about this because I've got family staying over for a couple nights and am irritated by the amount of cleaning I've to do. I can't ditch the family, ya know?

Professional grooming is a great option for the pups and the home, I know. But it gets expensive for us.

How do you keep your dog(s) and your home clean (tips/tricks)?

Are you use to the dirt/mess that the pups cause or does it bother you from time to time?

Do you have family/friends that look at your lifestyle with your dogs and think 'ewwww'? How do you cope with what they think?

Do you consider dogs dirty?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
First, I am still learning and trying not to be a perfectionist. But I don't want it messy all the time, so this is how I've adapted. I bought a Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner, its fantastic, I also have a carpet cleaner, when I paint I buy the more expensive kind that is easy to clean and won't come off with repeated wipings, and for my sofa I bought two couch covers that are soft and easy to clean in the washing machine. They are from the SureFit company and I buy them in white so I can see the dirt and clean when necessary usually 2x week also my living room is dark so it brightens the room.

As for the relatives, they seldom come over anymore. We've basically told them, the dog lives here not you, this is our pets home, they give us great joy. If I were planning a large event at our place, then of course things would be close to perfect and maybe even the dog put away, but for people randomly stopping by, they come in at their own risk.

Lastly, I forgot to add, when there are large messes/accidents/mud from rain, I don't get angry at my pets I remain calm and change my attitude that this is an opportunity for me to do some more cleaning and make things fresh. This really helped when Molly was a puppy.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I spend a lot of time cleaning after the dogs daily and it is never enough time... I just keep reminding myself that a dirty home with dogs is better than a clean home without dogs. It does get to me time to time. Like... again! I've to wash this already AGAIN?!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I spend a lot of time cleaning after the dogs daily and it is never enough time... I just keep reminding myself that a dirty home with dogs is better than a clean home without dogs. It does get to me time to time. Like... again! I've to wash this already AGAIN?!
I love your attitude!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I vacuum and sweep about 2-3 times a week. Which considering what I've seen on this forum is on the low end. Brushing him once a day or every other day has helped cut down on what gets stuck on the rugs which is nice. We have hardwood and rugs in our main areas that he lays on. Toys aren't spread around willie nillie, I give him one or two at a time and when he's done I put them away.

The water dish area is my only down fall considering he makes a mess every time he drinks it's a pain to constantly wipe up. We have a big rug right in front of our french doors that lead into the backyard so muddy paws get wiped off there. I'm lucky though :) my dad owns his own carpet cleaning business so I never have to worry about that at least haha.

My mom is constantly horrified by the dog fur but I just tell don't come over if it bugs you, I live here not you. My sister has two cats, a rabbit and a russian blue tortoise so she's used to messes from animals. Never have I met such a messy animal before I met her rabbit. He has his own room in the house that is all his and yes he is litter trained but that doesn't mean he poos in there haha. The baseboards and door frames in a couple rooms in her house are all chewed up from when she had two rabbits and they'd chew on them.

I just try for a daily routine where I can wake up do the dishes, straighten the house, vacuum/sweep, do errands and come home and make dinner. It keeps the house from getting overwhelming if I tackle little things every day.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I've always had this breed, the house I grew up in might have been furry sometimes but never dirty. Mom had a system and I just sorta adopted it. The dogs didn't come in the front door. The back door at Mom's house had a concrete porch with indoor outdoor carpet that we'd wash off with a hose a couple times a year.

I have a bluestone patio off my back door. It wasn't there when I bought the house and the dogs tracked in a lot of mud until it was there.

When they're dirty and wet, I'm sorry but go to the basement until they're dry. It's not a dingy basement, the floor has padding and there's carpet. My kids like it just fine too.

Fur is fur. This time of the year, I pick up the tumbleweeds as they blow by collecting more fur as they go. I vacuum once a week. Most of my carpets are black and tan and patterned. Hides the fur.

Mom had royal blue sculpted carpet, had like a gray swirl in it. Which sorta absorbed the fur from black sable dog we had when it was put in. 20 years later it still wasn't worn out but there was fur imbedded in it, no getting that out even with an electrolux. The people who bought the house were thrilled to find hardwood floors in perfect condition under it LOL

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I put 2 hours of housework in everyday. I have 3 kids to clean up after on top of 3 dogs. My entire basement is dedicated to the dogs, its got carpet and crates lol it get vacd every day and bedding for them gets done weekly. I also sanitize their crates with vinegar...im a little ocd about my house and what conditions my dogs sleep/live in.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ummmmmm.... I got married .......

SuperG
Haha :p I am married and the DH helps out as much as he can but he's normally dead by friday with all the OT and I just recently had to leave my job due to health issues so I try to take care of the house so he doesn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Zeeva, you can tell your family staying over that you must conserve water due to the drought and electricity due to its high cost in CA. Blame the messiness on the state, not on your pets. I just had to hose off an indoor/outdoor rug, but before I did it I made sure my neighbor was still at work so I won't get in trouble for hosing in broad daylight!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm forever cleaning I have 3 kids as well as all my animals. I would say my house is pretty clean, I vacuum everyday, wash my floors 2-3x a week depending on the weather. My family never complains but if they did I would tell them its my house I pay the bills if you don't like it don't come over.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I miss the tumble weeds! Hooch has really short hairs but still sheds! He also leaves what I call moo moo marks! No fur back there to buffer sittin on his bottom! I just got in the habit of using all the attachments when I vaccum! Go along baseboards etc! Oh and if you get a new vaccum, see if your old extension attachments will fit your new one! I can go along ceiling and everything! I have 3 or 4 sheet sets I use only to cover the furniture! I have a small house so not a lot of big furniture! And I have a carpet cleaner but once a year it's nice to have a company come out and steam clean! Oh I keep a rug by back door and a towel for when it rains!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Oh I just remembered :D because of the post above :D I clean the baseboards with dryer sheets. It helps repel the fur. I do that about once a month :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love that:wub:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
You know it wasn't bad with the 4 dogs, I notice a difference with the 5th, but still not so bad, but with the 6th, it is more noticeable. I find that I clean twice a day, but it only takes about 15 minutes each time, which I guess isn't to bad. The dirty paw prints in the kitchen by the water bowl requires cleaning about 10 times a day...I moan and groan about it every time:) As long as I run a vacuum daily(I own 2 sharks and a dyson), dust every few days, and go over the floors its not to bad. Its better in the summer because they are outside a lot more. Sometimes I think the cats cause a bigger mess..when they get on a role, they open drawers and everything. I have come to the conclusion that I will never have a desk chair that doesn't have cat fur on it or a couch without a blanket on it or paw prints on the wood floor and there will always be a mop near by(in a couple different spots, no use in putting them away), but I wouldn't trade those things for anything. The animals give me so much more then a clean house can.... I have attached a quote that I often think about if those paw prints and fur bothers me...it puts things in perspective and within seconds I fully appreciate what they do for me:)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I personally vacuum our home once a day, having a powerful and efficient vacuum really makes things quick and easy.

Since I've moved from a small 1 bedroom apartment into a three story home, it obviously takes longer than it used to but that is okay with me.

I bathe my dogs more than regular people do, I think. I don't like dirty/stinky dogs... haha. When they get muddy I hose them off, and regular play in the doggie pool this summer will keep them cleaner.

I am a bit of a clean freak, I'll admit. I keep clean dogs and a clean house as best I can. ;)

Doesn't mean I don't have fur dust bunnies in the corner of the rooms at the end of the day. Owning dogs means putting up with hair and some dirt... glad I bought a wetjet mop thoguh, now I just quickly run over the muddy paw prints after the dogs come in.

I am also the type of person to towel paws off or use wet wipes on rainy days. Haha!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts