German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right thread....

I'm just curious what others do to keep their dogs cool while traveling in the vehicle.

If we are just going for a short ride, Ava is in the front passanger seat and I keep the air condition vents pointed at her.

If we are going on a long ride, I have her kenneled in the back of our SUV. When she is kenneled, she is not happy unless I have a blanket covering the entire kennel. Therefore, what little bit of AC that would have reached her all the way in the back of the SUV, is definatly not going to get thru the blanket.

So....I have a large bottled water that I keep frozen, and when we are going on a long drive, I put the frozen water bottle in the kennel with her. I figure this is working 2 ways. 1) she can lay against it, etc to keep cool and 2) as the ice is melting, the bottle sweats and she can lick the condensation off if she is thirsty.

Just curious of what others do.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
If we are going on a long ride, I have her kenneled in the back of our SUV. When she is kenneled, she is not happy unless I have a blanket covering the entire kennel. Therefore, what little bit of AC that would have reached her all the way in the back of the SUV, is definatly not going to get thru the blanket.

id probably decide she is going to get used to not having the blanket over the kennel. grumpy and cool better than content and not so cool.

my main rule over all is:

if it is hot outside, and i need to stop anywhere that my dog isnt going in with me (outside of a 5 minute gas/minimart stop where i can see my dog), then my dog stays home.

**of course this excludes travelling with my dog.

i know my dog loves to go in the car with me, but if it means more than a few minutes in the car alone, she doesnt come.
quite honestly, i wont leave my dog in the car alone even in cool weather conditions, as i feel the chances of her getting stolen at home are very low versus all the cases ive seen of dogs getting taken from cars in parking lots.

i know some of this may not be related to what you are asking specifically.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I take my GSD everywhere with me, unless I am running into a store and I dont have another person with me. I do not leave him outside alone. Sinister lays down on the back seat. He doesn't care to look out the window or stick his head out of it, he just lays down and watches me (he likes it when I sing to him) or he'll take a nap if we are driving far. I put the air on him if it's hot out or I'll roll the windows down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts