German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a GSD thing but a general breeding question. Some one I work with asked about my opinion on this topic.

The person I work with has a interacted pure Bichon Frise. He bought it as a puppy but to me sounds like it's a puppy mill pup. He called on an add in the news paper. He called on the add because it was a good deal. Turned out The pup was in KS. The puppy was shipped to them. His dog is a good dog and 5 years old in good health no problems.

Now my co worker was at the store and next to him was a car with a little female Bichon Frise looking dog. He was not even sure if it was a Bichon. The guy saw his dog and asked if he would want to breed his dog. My co worker said he would think about it.

To me it sounds like a bad idea. I would not do it and I told him that. I brought up the things that could go wrong and why it might not be a good idea. I also told him a bit about how it works with pimping out your male. My co worker is going to to do it and breed his dog.

What would you tell my co worker about this breeding With a strangers dog?

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I'd say, well, it's a free country.
Or take him on a tour of a kill shelter.

Or show him:
28 pages of Bichons waiting for homes.
Pet Search Results: Adoptable Bichon Frise Dog Pets in Washougal, WA: Petfinder

But that's presuming even gives a rat's behind about homeless pets...and even if he did, if he can make the connection between his irresponsible breeding and the homeless pets.

Oh, and have him ask his vet about brucellosis, canine herpes and tumors.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Dogs - VetInfo

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
First question would be why do they want to breed the two dogs? Are they trying to make a buck? Trying to fill a need to reproduce? Why... That would be my first question before getting into a lecture.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok it's nice to see to see others feel the same why about this as I do.

He wants to breed his dog because he loves his dog and thinks he would have good puppies. Also he said he wants to fill his dogs sexual needs. They want to keep one of the puppies.

I have a feeling it's about making some money.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
*** Edited by Mod - picture removed ***

He can adopt one of those cute Bischon's that Msvette posted from Petfinder if he wants a new companion! ;) Though I'm sure it's harder to look at it from the male owners point of view, he's not the one risking his dogs life to give birth to a litter of puppies and won't be the one paying for the care and taking the time to raise them.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Ok it's nice to see to see others feel the same why about this as I do.

He wants to breed his dog because he loves his dog and thinks he would have good puppies. Also he said he wants to fill his dogs sexual needs. They want to keep one of the puppies.

I have a feeling it's about making some money.
Lol... that's about every typical response to why someone wants to breed their dog all in one. I don't mean to laugh because it's not funny... it's just so typical.

People humanize dogs. Dogs don't have sexual needs like humans do. They do it strictly to reproduce. While with humans, not always the case. I don't think he's understanding that.

In the end, people are going to do what they want to do. You can try giving them the whole "why you shouldn't breed" spiel, but if he wants to breed his dog, he's probably going to do it. I wouldn't get too crazy and stressed about it.

You can try printing out this flow chart and giving it to him.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
IMO, it doesn't matter just how good the two parents are. The pedigree matters too. The pedigree can tell you what kind of puppies and temperament you'll likely end up with - moreso than what the temperament of the parents can tell you.

I've considered breeding Ozzy (for about half a second). He's an excellent dog. Wonderful ball drive, eager to please, has titles in flyball, great with everybody and social, velcroed to my side at all times, etc. etc. He could potentially produce great flyball height dogs. (It's common for people to breed dogs specifically for flyball, I've found). However, even if I did get him health tested and he passed everything, he's from a BYB with no pedigree. For that reason alone, he will NEVER be bred. If he has a dog somewhere down the line that had bad knees, seizures, bad throat, etc., I wouldn't want that possibility to pass to his pups.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah I just told him what I know and things to consider. I am not going to try and convince him because you are right he will do what he wants.

He never thought about health screening or temperament till I brought it up. Why would he.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts