German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I plan on getting a puppy in the future. So today I decided to not limit myself to one trainer and just really look around. I called three different trainers and only one really stood out to me. This trainer, he is a 60 year old man.

He boards the pups for one week, I forgot what all comes with the boarding but he offered some great stuff ( I will share once he reminds me again). Well how do you guys feel about boarding for training ? I feel super unsafe about it but it could be SUPER beneficial. This guy wasn't just a regular trainer. He offered to check out the breeder website and the breeder dogs for me. He was super concern that the pups may not be what the breeder claim they will be.

He gave me so much information, I mean I understand he has to sell himself in order to get clients but honestly no one has ever done that for me. He even said I will give the breeder a call if I have to. He seems like a really nice guy. Out of respect I told him he's more than welcome to give me any type information no matter what. We're going to meet up this week and sit down and talk about everything that I'm getting ready to get myself into.

So my question is, how do you guys feel about boarding ? What was some of your experiences like ?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm not a super big fan of board and train programs. I have always found that trainers spend more time working with the handlers then the dogs.

Does this guy offer private sessions?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a super big fan of board and train programs. I have always found that trainers spend more time working with the handlers then the dogs.

Does this guy offer private sessions?
He didn't mention private sessions. I will ask when he calls me back this afternoon.

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Has he evaluated the puppy you currently have, and offered suggestions for that one? Maybe if you have good success with the current pup, you will know more about possibly using him for board and train with the new pup.

I still think you should wait on getting another puppy though. Even a year from now you will be in such a better place with the current one -- the training and bonding that you can accomplish, that everything will go a lot smoother.

By adding a second pup now, you may never reach the potential for bonding/training with the first (or the second) puppy.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I personally wouldn't hand my puppy over to a stranger to board and train. Too many bad things can happen. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I love puppies, no way would I miss out on any window of the developmental stages. I know a few(trainers) that do board and trains for puppies. Those that aren't into housebreaking and enjoying that sponge stage will pay for someone else to enjoy it.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I would be curious what training methods he uses with very young puppies - that he can train them with 1 week boarding? Train them to do what?

How does he train? Does he freely use different methods based on the temperament of the individual puppy? Does he hit or punish the puppy? Does he withhold food? Electric shock collar, Prong, Positive only???? IMO it's all about the training method 1st. then your comfort level with the individual of course has to be there. Not the other way around.

This gets a lot of people in trouble when they do not question and agree with the method. This is homework you can do prior to even talking with trainers so that you don't get sucked into someone's well practiced sales pitch. The more you know about methods and potential benefits or drawbacks with them, the more prepared you are to deal with the conversation when you do speak to the trainers (who are giving you a sales pitch - that's part of their job) and promptly eliminate the ones that could do more harm than good.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts