German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm back with another inquiry regarding my two 4-legged bundles of energy!
How do you guys exercise WITH your dogs? There are so many ways to exercise your dog, but does anyone have any creative systems or programs for exercising yourself along with your dog??

I really like variety, and my youngest still isn't old enough to run for distance, so I'm looking for some structured workouts to go along with my dogs' exercise. I'm looking for something other than daily walks and hikes, and games of fetch and tug (because they will receive this daily anyway). These are already standard as a dog owner, and I need something more high intensity to supplement every once in a while into my weekly workout routine.

I love distance running,but like I said, my GSD pup isn't near being developed enough for it and I would like to have a couple more ideas to add some variety into my workouts. I dont like going to the gym to lift and then spend time on the treadmill when I can just go home and get out and exercise with the dogs, but a walk, hike or game of fetch isn't stimulating enough for me personally.. Walks and fetch are daily, and hikes are special occasions, so I'm looking for any unique ideas and input...

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
For older dogs I have an attachment that goes on my bike to bike with her. Obviously not for puppies and I increase speed and distance gradually, also take care to avoid pavement whenever possible.

You mention you already take your dogs hiking. I do that too. Some off lead hiking is always fun for me and the dogs. I try to keep it interesting by changing up which trails we go to and sometimes we even spend the whole weekend at a campground. I like swimming for young puppies. If the waters warm enough I'll jump in too! Can you possibly try an intro to aglity course? That looks like it could be a fun way for both of you to be active.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hike. We have a lot of awesome hiking by my house.
Walks are good, but the pavement hurts my joints and feet.
A good dirt trail with obstacles is good for working a lot more muscles in you and your dog. I also feel its more bonding when we hike. Less distraction from neighbor dogs etc. Its just me and my dogs in nature and its amazing.

I know you mentioned hiking. Maybe you need to find some more interesting trails. haha. Some hiking is boring. Flat dirt trails walked by tons of people is blaaahhh.

But a good rocky trail that isnt hiked much by other people is super awesome. Bring a lunch and water and its a great day.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Now the weather is getting nice again we are doing a lot more outside. I like to take max for long walks in the neighborhood, love go to parks permitting dogs so many nature trails. There is one park I like to go regularly with many different trails and also like to go to go to different parks with nature trails. Favorite is taking max for walks on the beach. There is another beach where there is a nice clean bay in the warmer weather where we all can swim together. New thing is bikejoring we have many woods with trails surrounding our house so this is where we go bikejoring so much fun and good exercise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For older dogs I have an attachment that goes on my bike to bike with her. Obviously not for puppies and I increase speed and distance gradually, also take care to avoid pavement whenever possible.

You mention you already take your dogs hiking. I do that too. Some off lead hiking is always fun for me and the dogs. I try to keep it interesting by changing up which trails we go to and sometimes we even spend the whole weekend at a campground. I like swimming for young puppies. If the waters warm enough I'll jump in too! Can you possibly try an intro to aglity course? That looks like it could be a fun way for both of you to be active.
I love love love hiking but with my schedule it's not possible for me to do it more than once a week or twice if lucky.. I love it but it's not something I'd consider exercise for me as much as him. And I 100% want to try both of them on some agility stuff. I've even looked at starting to build a basic course myself... again, how much exercise does the handler get?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hike. We have a lot of awesome hiking by my house.
Walks are good, but the pavement hurts my joints and feet.
A good dirt trail with obstacles is good for working a lot more muscles in you and your dog. I also feel its more bonding when we hike. Less distraction from neighbor dogs etc. Its just me and my dogs in nature and its amazing.

I know you mentioned hiking. Maybe you need to find some more interesting trails. haha. Some hiking is boring. Flat dirt trails walked by tons of people is blaaahhh.

But a good rocky trail that isnt hiked much by other people is super awesome. Bring a lunch and water and its a great day.
I agree, hikes are fantastic... So relaxing. Work is very very stressful and it's nice to get out with my fiancé and the dogs and hit the West Virginia hills.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now the weather is getting nice again we are doing a lot more outside. I like to take max for long walks in the neighborhood, love go to parks permitting dogs so many nature trails. There is one park I like to go regularly with many different trails and also like to go to go to different parks with nature trails. Favorite is taking max for walks on the beach. There is another beach where there is a nice clean bay in the warmer weather where we all can swim together. New thing is bikejoring we have many woods with trails surrounding our house so this is where we go bikejoring so much fun and good exercise.
That's so awesome you have a beach nearby! They'd love that.. Fortunately for us we have several dog-friendly parks around us that we visit frequently so that's been awesome!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
learning tug games, especially when you dog is full grown and strong, can be a great upper body work out.
Yes I've noticed even at just 20 weeks and 50 lbs, him pulling me around is a great finisher after a lift

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I have been known to do "puppy pull ups". Get your dog latched onto a tug, then do bicep curls :)

Other than that, can you swim with your pup? Get it a lifejacket ad see if you can swim laps in a pond or something. I don't think there is any reason a youngster can't do that?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Some great ideas! I was thinking of setting up a home made agility course, and change the way it is set up periodically for variation.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Some great ideas! I was thinking of setting up a home made agility course, and change the way it is set up periodically for variation.
Mine set up her "own" course in the yard last summer she's got some really nice "speed banks" built in now lol. The mud's drying out here too and I moved a couple of her large obstacles yesterday and she's modifying her runs to make turns around them now. The 2 large kiddie pools will be set up next month to incorporate into the course - then, I have 2 old doors that I'm going to hinge and prop to make an up and down ramp. Purchased the wood cross strips to give her footing on the ramp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine set up her "own" course in the yard last summer she's got some really nice "speed banks" built in now lol. The mud's drying out here too and I moved a couple of her large obstacles yesterday and she's modifying her runs to make turns around them now. The 2 large kiddie pools will be set up next month to incorporate into the course - then, I have 2 old doors that I'm going to hinge and prop to make an up and down ramp. Purchased the wood cross strips to give her footing on the ramp.
That's awesome... I'm gonna have to check out some garage sales and such for some different material!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Sounds like a smart girl!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been known to do "puppy pull ups". Get your dog latched onto a tug, then do bicep curls :)

Other than that, can you swim with your pup? Get it a lifejacket ad see if you can swim laps in a pond or something. I don't think there is any reason a youngster can't do that?
Oh yea once it starts getting hot, I'd love to do that. He and Berk (the older Aussie) love splashing around in the creeks at my inlaws' farm so I'd like to get them used to deeper water swimming and go swimming with them

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm a sucker for simplicity and thankfully, Butters is too. lol

I plan to make her my jogging partner in the near future. I'll probably do something around 4-5 days a week, then every other day once we eventually get a second dog within the next few years.

For now, I stick to long walks, fetch, and tug games. She looovvvvesss running around and since we're in a very rural area w/ a sizeable yard, I feel comfortable letting that be her main source of exercise. At least until I get fit enough to jog for more than 2 minutes at a time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts