German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small back yard and have been picking up the waste by putting it in bags that go into a "poo only" can to be picked up by the trashman weekly. Living in the Northeast of the US my soil is clay and it seems that the in ground systems would not work because of the soil and cold.

Am I missing a better way to do this?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Don't waste your money on an in ground system. I use plastic grocery bags. They are free and the right size for a scooper. Then I put the bag in an outdoor trashcan. I wouldn't want to bring dog **** into my house, plus you might have some on your shoes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In-ground systems have to be flushed eventually, just like cesspools.
There is a system that attaches to your plumbing and allows you to flush it from outside, just like it was a toilet. Can't remember the name. It is about $1,000 not counting plumber installation, IIRC.
I went through a lot of thinking and trials on this on two very large dogs. In the end, I wound up with a medium-size trash can lined with a garbage bag. Collect it and dump it with the trash.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just buy cheap bulk dog waste bags and then chuck them in the regular outdoor trash can. I don't use a scooper, just turn the bag inside out, tie it up and wash your hands. I don't find there is much of an issue with smell or flies if you keep the trash can lid firmly secured, since the bags are already sealed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some municipalities frown on this...of course, how often are they going to check? Never
That reminded me of the time I recently had to explain to an old lady she needed to "double flush" as I wasn't sending my maintenance guy anymore to plunge her very large bowel movements. Yuck.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
When my dogs cooperated by crapping in the yard rather than out in the "untamed" 4 acres, I lined a small bucket (marketed as a kid's sand bucket) with a plastic grocery take out bag, scooped the day's product into that, tied the bag shut until the next "collection" time. It would hold about a week's worth for 2 GSDs (both of which can be said to be full of, yes, that.). Then it would get tied and put in the trash.

Be careful what you flush. The "wrong" product can mess up your sewage system -- I'm especially cautious as I now have a septic system.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I just buy cheap bulk dog waste bags and then chuck them in the regular outdoor trash can. I don't use a scooper, just turn the bag inside out, tie it up and wash your hands. I don't find there is much of an issue with smell or flies if you keep the trash can lid firmly secured, since the bags are already sealed.
I use my plastic bread bags. They're the right length and strength to collect a couple of 'tickets' before knotting and binning the bag.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
For walking, I try to stock rolls of biodegradable (compostable) dog-waste bags. If you think about all the walks you do over a life time, all the piles you bag up as you walk every day, that's a lot of plastic bags to add to our plastic-burdened world. The price difference between biodegradable and regular plastic isn't high. Otherwise, I reuse some plastic that's already in the house (newspaper, produce, or bread bags) to give it one more life before it goes in the trash.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a large recharge basin (sump) behind my property. I've gotten pretty good at whipping it all over the fence and the pine trees lining the area. It doesn't get easier than that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We use cheap dog poop bags and throw them in the garbage. We just go out with them and clean it up right away so there’s no land mines or smell in the fenced back yard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts