German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let's say you buy books on the German Sheperd. You read those books and study what they say. Then, let's say you're on a forum like this one that not only includes long time GSD owners, but GSD breeders as well.

Now, let's say the books you read conflict with what the GSD owners and GSD breeders say. For example: Switching to Adult food. What if the two books I've ordered say, "You should feed your GSD puppy puppy large breed food for one year, then switch to Adult Large breed food". Then, let's say some members or breeders say "You should feed Adult food, period. You should start out with Adult food." So who do you go with, the forum or the books? I'm not saying the forums' info is incorrect or bad, but if it's a case like that, is the book's info bad or incorrect?

These are the 2 books I have ordered:

Breed Basics: The German Shepherd (2002)
The German Shepherd Dog Handbook (2010)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
There are different schools of thought on puppy food and as I pointed out in another thread all puppy food is not created equal. Some vets say 1 year, some not at all, and some say 6 months but only feed large breed puppy formula because regular puppy food can encourage too much growth too fast. What are you feeding? What you are going to feed will be a huge factor on when to switch:)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
It depends on the authors...of both. I won't buy a book unless it is recommended and usually they are training books, not care and breed specific.
Researching nutrition will be the best way to decide what to feed, I did that and went with a raw diet as I feel it is the best.
In learning about the breed, I'd read up on the genetics/breeding forums, and in time I'd see who are the knowledgable posters and who just posts to post.
Same goes for the other forums, there is so much to learn, and as the pup grows from stage to stage, all of these will get plenty of traffic...too bad the aggression threads are so active.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on feeding my puppy Orijen Large Breed puppy food when I get my puppy.

But see, how do you know that it varies with certain brands of food?

That's just one example. Like, in one thread I was in, they stated that not necesarrily do breeders just focus on one breed when breeding. But see, I was somewhere else and asked about a breeder that breeds Cocker Spaniels along with another breed and someone said something like "An ethical breeder focuses on one breed."

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've encountered these problems in my research as well and as a new GDS pup owner 3 weeks in the best advice I can offer is to do what you think is best for your dog (in collaboration with your vet). I am fortunate in that my vet is a close family friend whom I'd trust to treat ME! Lol but there are definitely opposing sides to many topics and I don't think there are any "right" ways for most. It's kinda like raising a child... Everyone has their own parenting style and way of doing things so sometimes you have to go with your gut and maybe do some trial and error. Of course all of this is just my opinion lol

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I've encountered these problems in my research as well and as a new GDS pup owner 3 weeks in the best advice I can offer is to do what you think is best for your dog (in collaboration with your vet). I am fortunate in that my vet is a close family friend whom I'd trust to treat ME! Lol but there are definitely opposing sides to many topics and I don't think there are any "right" ways for most. It's kinda like raising a child... Everyone has their own parenting style and way of doing things so sometimes you have to go with your gut and maybe do some trial and error. Of course all of this is just my opinion lol
Most vets aren't versed in canine nutrition, they only get a small dose of education on it thru the reps that sell Hills foods. So I really wouldn't go with a vet recommendation on food, unless they have gone beyond the schooling required.
Because vets have to learn about several species of animals, reptiles and birds, they can't know everything.
That is why it is up to us to learn as much as possible about the species, breed we care for, so we are doing the best by them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most vets aren't versed in canine nutrition, they only get a small dose of education on it thru the reps that sell Hills foods. So I really wouldn't go with a vet recommendation on food, unless they have gone beyond the schooling required.
Because vets have to learn about several species of animals, reptiles and birds, they can't know everything.
That is why it is up to us to learn as much as possible about the species, breed we care for, so we are doing the best by them.
Very true, as I said I am fortunate enough to have a vet that I trust with issues such as nutrition because I know he has done research beyond his schooling. I understood the OP's question as "how do you decide in general", using puppy vs adult food as an example... My advice was also generalized to say... Do what research you can and when you come across conflicting opinions in the end you have to do what YOU feel is right for YOUR dog. After all there will always be someone (or some book) who disagrees with your decisions/opinions.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
on feeding, i'm one of the people who says it depends on the dog and the owner and how they want to do things. At the present time, i intend to feed Shasta puppy food until she's a year old but depending on how things go between now and then, i may change her to adult food or i may keep her on the puppy food or a mixture of puppy and adult until she's 18 months to a year. Its like raising kids. You listen to the advice and pick and choose what will work best for you and your situation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
on feeding, i'm one of the people who says it depends on the dog and the owner and how they want to do things. At the present time, i intend to feed Shasta puppy food until she's a year old but depending on how things go between now and then, i may change her to adult food or i may keep her on the puppy food or a mixture of puppy and adult until she's 18 months to a year. Its like raising kids. You listen to the advice and pick and choose what will work best for you and your situation.
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You do the research, do your best to pick what you think is right but ultimately your pup will tell you what it likes and needs and can tolerate. Stosh told me that he never liked raw chicken no matter how determined I was that it was good for him, he would love it. He had to resort to backing up away from the bowl with his ears down and hiding under the kitchen table. You'll know by the shine in their coat and eyes, and what comes out the other end what food is best

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
That's just one example. Like, in one thread I was in, they stated that not necesarrily do breeders just focus on one breed when breeding. But see, I was somewhere else and asked about a breeder that breeds Cocker Spaniels along with another breed and someone said something like "An ethical breeder focuses on one breed."
The internet has a way of sending people into information overdrive. You get conflicting opinions left and right. You can also find yourself surrounded by hundreds of people who have the same opinion and suddenly those opinions start to feel like fact.

I think anytime you read a forum like this one you have to learn to separate opinion from fact.
1. Good breeders test their dogs for HD. That's a fact.
2. Ethical breeders only focus on one breed. This is an opinion.

Opinions can be based on fact, but they can also be skewed by life experiences, ideals, different levels of knowledge and passion. (Passion is the one you have to watch out for. ;))

Depending on your personality you'll either absorb the first thing you read or hear, and take it as fact, or you'll dig deeper, question it and try to find out more information. Eventually whether it's formulating an opinion or trying to decide what to feed your dog, you do what works best for your dog and yourself.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The internet has a way of sending people into information overdrive. You get conflicting opinions left and right. You can also find yourself surrounded by hundreds of people who have the same opinion and suddenly those opinions start to feel like fact.
SO TRUE!!!!

While it is important to be educated and informed, as others have said, you also need to trust your gut. Don't get bogged down by the information overload.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Ah, that's like one of those logic puzzles. Most ethical breeders focus on one breed. And I would venture to say that a large majority of breeders that breed more than one breed are either puppy mills or backyard breeders. However, just because a breeder breeds more than one does not of necessity make them unethical. It's more of a yellow flag.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Something else you might want to check out when you have opposing opinions...research articles on the topic if they exist. I know in the medical field, you can have two “reliable” textbooks that say you should do the exact opposite of what the other says.

For me personally, I go off more recommendations from real people in the field more than I go off of books. I then try to find proof in good research articles.

But with all three options for opinions, as everyone else has said, you still have to go with what you think is the best decision. Because all three can be wrong or skewed for whatever reason. I say go with what makes sense to you, and go with what works for your dog.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, that's like one of those logic puzzles. Most ethical breeders focus on one breed. And I would venture to say that a large majority of breeders that breed more than one breed are either puppy mills or backyard breeders. However, just because a breeder breeds more than one does not of necessity make them unethical. It's more of a yellow flag.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-puppy/144289-anyone-heard-vom-landsgut.html

In that thread, I said it was a yellow flag and I still believe it's kinda strange. :confused: I dunno, back to the books any way.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
For Hondo, he was on puppy food until he was aprox 6 months old. My vet didn't like his growth rate (growing rapidly) - therefore suggested we switch to adult food. Due to his bad foot, I wanted to watch his growth pattern very closely.

On a different dog, I could do things differently.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Like most folks have already stated, you have to decide between the various conflicting advise that you will receive. What works best for you. I'm in the same boat as you..a new GSD puppy owner.
One thing I'll point out though is this: An Author who has gone out and written a book has put in a lot of research behind the publication. If the book has a high recommendation rating, it also indicates that most reader like it or have benefited from it as well. No Author will likely publish a book (with their name on the cover) unless they've done a good amount of background research.
The Internet Forums is a different story. Anyone (including myself) can post any comment/any opinion knowing fully well that I've a high degree of anonymity and don't exactly have my reputation at stake..hence can dole out any advise without research !!

So, read all articles/pots/books..but make your own decisions based on what is working out best for you..not what 200 people are telling you.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There are so many dog foods out there and so many different opinions you will hear. Do as much research as you can and make the decision based on what you feel is best for your dog- alot of times vets know nothing about nutrition, since several tend to recommend Science Diet. There are some foods my dogs do good on and some that they don't. I base my decision on their growth rate, body compisition, energy level, and overall appearance of course not feeding something completley inappropriate. But I have gone back and forth with puppy food and adult food and I like to switch what they eat often. I feel that each (good) brand has it's strengths and rotation feeding can help my dogs get the best of each food. But that's just waht I decided to do based on my own research. My vet says puppy food only, but then again my vet sells Science Diet...so I feel my dogs will do better if they eat my way. And I'm sure books will say alot of different things as well. So just do your own research. Just like raising a child, everyone has an opinion of what is best, but only you can make the final decision.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts