German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that GSD's need a "job", but how do you decide on what would be a good fit for you GSD? Do they choose themselves?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I try a ton of things and stick with what the dog seems to enjoy. All my dogs loved herding but the training farm has a wait list right now. Nikon loves dock diving and Schutzhund. Kenya loves Rally. Coke likes warming the couch and my end of the bed.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI try a ton of things and stick with what the dog seems to enjoy.
Ditto!!

That's how I ended up with a Cocker than loves to lure course and has his Herding Instinct Certificate!

All my dogs go through basic obedience and then we do an agility class, tracking, carting, lure coursing, flyball ... we try to try them all!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jason Lin
Originally Posted By: Liesje Coke likes warming the couch and my end of the bed.
That's what Obie is doing right now! Going on 4 hours. What a consummate professional.
I'm going to bed soon, so I'm putting Coke up there now. I turn the heat off at night and it's cold in there anyway. He gets a handful of kibbles for his services, gets "paid" to do his job!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Join a training club and take several different type classes they offer.

Most AKC training clubs have at least obedince, rally and agilty and many offer tracking and herding too. I don't know what you are close to but Cincinnati has some fabulous dog stuff. I used to enjoy going there for shows.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i wouldn't wait for my dog to choose a job for himself. i think
we need to train them for a job. i didn't train my dog to get his leash but he brought it to me oneday. i gave him some heavy praise
and i said "get your leash" after placing it in his box where he got it from. from that time one i could say "get your leash" and he'll go
and get it. i count getting the leash as a job. i taught my dog
to take the mail from the mail person and bring it to us.

my dog will carry things into the house after we come home from shopping. i always put something in a bag so he can carry something into the house. <
i can give my dog something and say "go to Rosie" and he'll
take whatever it is and carry it to her. <
i can hide things and then send my dog to find them. <
i could give my dog my Grey Hounds leash and he
would walk her several miles without letting go of her
leash. my Grey Hound was blind. <
when i knock on the front door my dog will go and get my GF so
she can let me in. <

i never thought about what job would be a good fit for my dog.
if there was something i wanted my dog to do i taught
him how to do it.

Originally Posted By: StryderPupI know that GSD's need a "job", but how do you decide on what would be a good fit for you GSD? Do they choose themselves?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI try a ton of things and stick with what the dog seems to enjoy.
Ditto!!

That's how I ended up with a Cocker than loves to lure course and has his Herding Instinct Certificate!

All my dogs go through basic obedience and then we do an agility class, tracking, carting, lure coursing, flyball ... we try to try them all!
Here too! By trying a lot of different things, you'll also find what YOU like to do, and you'll know what options you have. If it turns out that your dog can't do one of the sports that you hoped to (due to behavioral or health concerns), then you'll know what else you like.

You'll never know until you try them out.

That's how I have a small beagle (which I specifically got for agility) that's an incredible little tracker!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I say use the temperament as a guide! I adopted from GSRA in July and this dog is getting her Therapy License this month!!!! She will serve with me at my job!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info.
KathyW - I am about 35 mins north of downtown Cincy...where would I find those clubs??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think keeping an open mind and trying out different things is a great way to find what both you and your dog enjoy doing together. I am game to try anything and even if it is "not your cup of tea" for you or your dog - there are soooooooo many different things to do. It also helps if you find a group of people or a club that you enjoy and like - it helps keep you motivated!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts