German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running around on the boards and noticed that before a GSD fills out, they look rather thin and people commenting on how skinny they are, or that they need to feed them.

I personally don't see how you guys could deal with that? I'd probably jump all over them, to be quite honest.

How do/did you deal with the rude comments people made about your dogs' weight?

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I educate them on what a healthy dogs proper weight should be.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Originally Posted By: KonotashiHow do/did you deal with the rude comments people made about your dogs' weight?
It depends on several things.

First, if they have a dog and it's FAT - I politely explain that my dog is at the correct weight according to my vet. I go on to say that having to carry around alot of extra weight isn't healthy for a dog - especially a young growing dog.

If I'm not in a talking mood I simply ignore them and walk away.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've had to deal with that with a healthy, fit adult dog not just a gangly teenage dog...
A lot of people seem to think fat=healthy dog and when they saw my slim, fit, athletic Golden Retriever they would exclaim about how skinny she was. I either just explained that is how a dog is supposed to look, explained that my vet said she was at her ideal weight, or if I was in a hurry I would just smile and nod and walk away.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I get that with Ava still, and she is actually on the heavy end right now. The truth is a lot of people have no clue what a healthy weight for a GSD is. I actually laugh, and tell them flat out, she is on the heavier end and could stand to loose a pound or two. They think because of the lean appearence of the flank they are thin. I dont let it bother me, I mean its not like I'm inviting them to dinner or anything. So basically, their uneducated opinion means nothing to me. Cant hurt me or my dog.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Got that for over 6 years and stayed calmed.... Now I just don't care, I look at them and walk away. There's only so much you can take over the years, lol.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i stay calm, but always explain that she is at a very healthy weight and why it is better for a dog to be lean. i usually have to throw something in there like "you are just used to seeing too many owners with fat dogs."

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
also, bear in mind that most people are HORRIBLE at judging a dog's weight. I've had people tell me Rayden is too skinny "what's he weigh 100? 110?" he's weighed low 80s since he was a 2 lol They then go on to tell me "oh, my dog weighs 120lbs" they look shocked/offended when I say "oh that poor baby! You should have him checked by a vet and see what's wrong with him"

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangFirst, if they have a dog and it's FAT - I politely explain that my dog is at the correct weight according to my vet. I go on to say that having to carry around alot of extra weight isn't healthy for a dog - especially a young growing dog.

If I'm not in a talking mood I simply ignore them and walk away.
This. I hear constantly that my adult dogs are too thin because no one is used to seeing dogs that are correct weights!

With a former roommate, she even called my vet a quack when I explained that my dogs were ideal weight and started feeding them. I feed raw diet, and she started feeding them kibble behind my back. I FLIPPED out when I overheard her talking on the phone to her mom about how I was "starving" my dogs and she was having to feed them for me. Both dogs had been acting sickly since the day before and I was trying to figure out what was wrong, I was ready to murder her. Part of the problem was she never got out of bed until the middle of the afternoon, and I would feed first thing in the morning so she continued to claim I WASN'T feeding my dogs even though I told her she's welcome to WAKE UP and watch me feed. Sorry, obviously I'm still upset about her!

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
paige was always really thin. At moments she looked emaciated when she was young. We would just say "she's a nut! she never slowns down!" being so thin really helped her later in life. she used to be 65 lbs and now at 11 she is 75.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:I personally don't see how you guys could deal with that? I'd probably jump all over them, to be quite honest. How do/did you deal with the rude comments people made about your dogs' weight?
I get the weight comments with both my German Shepherd and my Belgian Malinois. My Shepherd is 7 years old now, but has degenerative joint disease in her hips, so we are keeping her on the very light end of what looks good on her. My Malinois is ... well, built like a Malinois. She has that stringy, muscly, working dog look. We get nasty comments from people all the time on both of them.

If I am in a good mood and have the time, I like to explain to people that it's actually healthier for dogs to be on the thin end rather than the heavy end, especially large breeds and dogs that have hip or other joint issues. And that you generally want to keep a working dog thing so it can actually work.

Heck, I probably couldn't put any weight on my Malinois if I tried. She doesn't stand still long enough to gain any.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Originally Posted By: Historian
Quote:I personally don't see how you guys could deal with that? I'd probably jump all over them, to be quite honest. How do/did you deal with the rude comments people made about your dogs' weight?
I get the weight comments with both my German Shepherd and my Belgian Malinois. My Shepherd is 7 years old now, but has degenerative joint disease in her hips, so we are keeping her on the very light end of what looks good on her. My Malinois is ... well, built like a Malinois. She has that stringy, muscly, working dog look. We get nasty comments from people all the time on both of them.

If I am in a good mood and have the time, I like to explain to people that it's actually healthier for dogs to be on the thin end rather than the heavy end, especially large breeds and dogs that have hip or other joint issues. And that you generally want to keep a working dog thing so it can actually work.

Heck, I probably couldn't put any weight on my Malinois if I tried. She doesn't stand still long enough to gain any.
As long as she doesnt get too many pot roasts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
It is interesting to hear and see what people think is a good weight for dogs. I try to remember that most people comment because they care about the dog. It depends on the situation what I do.

In some cases I explain that Skye's weight is ideal for her - she is 27" tall and only 60 - 62 pounds. Her hips have been xrayed and are good and I don't want undue stress on them.

If I am on therapy visits, I never argue. I just say, ' do you really think so? I'll talk to her vet about that.' (My vets love her light weight.)

They usually then want to feed her so I give them a snack for her. She rarely takes it since she is not a foodie and would rather visit, then they realize she is not hungry.

If we look around one of new classes and see a few overweight dogs, the other trainer takes the opportunity to talk about good weight and how to due a visual check. She uses Skye as an example of how you should see the waist and tummy tucked up and a suggestion of the back ribs.

Sometimes this gets the handlers of the chubby dogs thinking and they begin asking questions about safe weight control.

The main thing is that only a few people ask because they feel superior. Take it as a caring, concerned comment. Sometimes I say I wish someone would monitor my food intake and I would be as healthy as Skye.

(By the way - Buddy is also a light weight, 57 lb golden retriever. No one notices since he has the thick, curly hair cover up going for him.)

You can see who needs the weight control -

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My sister drives me nuts telling me my dog is skinny. He's NOT skinny, he's smack dab in the middle of the charts for his frame size. Her dogs on the other hand are tubby little pigs. They look like sasuages with fur they are so porky. I printed out info on how dogs are supposed to look and her comment was "but they act soooooo hungy if I don't give em XX amount". I told her that having obese dogs will only come back to haunt her when the dogs get old (bad hips/joints). She sorta listned, I can only hope I suppose.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Sunday I took Mandi to the self dog wash at Petco. When I was paying the girl behind the register asked me how old my PUP was. I told her she'll be 2 at the end of the month. To this she commented how small, short and thin Mandi was.

I was in an overly aggressive mood that day so I held my arms out to the sides, turned side to side and asked what her thoughts on MY weight and size were. She shut up.

Mandi is 26.5" and 80 lbs. She could probably stand to lose a few pounds, but the vet thinks she is fine. ( we just have heavy bones in our house
). I think because she has that short stock coat and her hair clings to her instead of poofing out like most people are used to seeing on a GSD, they think she is thinner than she is.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: mjbgsdGot that for over 6 years and stayed calmed.... Now I just don't care, I look at them and walk away. There's only so much you can take over the years, lol.
^this.

I've had quite a few people say 'What's wrong wtih her that she's so small and skinny'

Really, she's 23 1/2" tall and 70lbs, perfect according to the vet...

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I was working a booth once at a rescue event and had Ava with me. A woman stopped to talk to me and inquired if Ava was a rescue. I said...yes...I adopted her through the rescue. She said..awww..poor thing..you can tell she was neglected...she's so skinny...poor poor thing.
I almost burst out laughing..because at that point I had owned her over two years...LOL!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts