German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying/adopting a young adult working line dog with great pet temperament who "washed out" of a breeding or working program. I don't want to go through the tiny puppy stage and I'm not looking to buy a "fully trained" dog. But a solid and stable-nerved dog is important to me. I don't mind dealing with things like controllable hd or epi etc. Too soft to work; a wonky ear; not quite up to breeding standards--- perfect for me! Of course I'm also keeping an eye on rescues but dogs like that tend to go really quickly and have no problem getting adopted.

How would I go about finding dogs like this?

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
I've never looked into it father than knowing that they exist, but perhaps a "career change" dog from Fidelco would be a fit? there are other guide dog schools that use GSD in their program but it's either a small number or I'm unsure of their lines.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I would just contact the breeders that you are interested in-and be patient-or who knows you might not need to be patient-lol

·
Registered
31,369 Posts
I'm interested in buying/adopting a young adult working line dog with great pet temperament who "washed out" of a breeding or working program. I don't want to go through the tiny puppy stage and I'm not looking to buy a "fully trained" dog. But a solid and stable-nerved dog is important to me. I don't mind dealing with things like controllable hd or epi etc. Too soft to work; a wonky ear; not quite up to breeding standards--- perfect for me! Of course I'm also keeping an eye on rescues but dogs like that tend to go really quickly and have no problem getting adopted.

How would I go about finding dogs like this?

How about a military wash out or a dog needing a retirement home?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Check breeder pages, and there are several FB groups too. My husband doesn't keep his dogs if they can't do the work (IPO), so we have advertised on FB only and sold/placed them. My little brother has his last failure. He's spoiled rotten.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You might try the Petfinder website, that's where I found both my dogs. Max, the yellow lab, came from the Cincinnati Lab Rescue and lived to be almost fourteen. My current boy, Newlie, came from a rescue group in Kentucky called Let Them Live. I have had him almost three years so we think he is around five years old now. Newlie is good with people of any age and trustworthy with kids. He used to be reactive toward some dogs (if he felt they were challenging him) but I haven't even seen much of that lately. I don't know about whether he is working line or not, but he has been an absolute peach, as was Max. I am attaching a picture of him.

The website does allow you to filter your choices by a number of factors: distance, breed, age, sex, etc, plus usually gives you a little description of the dog.

Good luck with your search!

Attachments

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
If you are looking for a dog that was "washed out" by the military, there are some things you need to know. They are "kennel" dogs. They are not house trained in any way - if you do not want a puppy - you will be getting something harder to train than a puppy. They have not lived in a house - they have specific training up to the point where they were found to be not acceptable. They will urinate and defecate in your house.

The last time I read the website (6 mos ago)- there was a 24 month waiting list for "washed out dogs".

Please rethink your desire for one of these dogs. Most are adopted by former military that knows what they're getting into. This type of dog comes with some problems fitting into a pet/family atmosphere. Dogs used in the service for actual patrol dogs (trained to attack) are put down and not made available for adoption because their training cannot be reversed enough to ever be trusted. Those who have military training but washed out at some point are normally because of costly health issues.

If you feel you want to take on the challenge of one of these dogs, and you have prior experience/training - just google "military dogs available for adoption - and sign up for the waiting list.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Are you open to having a pup shipped? I think if you contact Suzanne, she'd be able to help you or point you in the right direction: young prospects raised by handlers and other volunteers, but of course not all make the cut, so she should know of some dogs that would be just perfect for you:

German Shepherd Breeder | Police Dogs | Schutzhund | Washington USA | BC Canada

A number of people I train with have dogs from her and know her, and have nothing but good things to say. The dogs from her that I have seen were exactly what people were looking for (or what they thouht they were looking for, but didn't really know what to expect from a working line, though the dogs were just fine, just higher energy than what novice owners/trainers were willing to work with).

My only dealings with Suzanne was email inquiries when I was first looking for a working line pup, and she always responded promptly with helpful info.

·
Registered
31,369 Posts
I actually never said anything about a military dog. Not sure why all the hand wringing about that.

Jax, I'd prefer a male. I really dig the boys.
I asked if you were interested in military dogs :rofl: Which I'm sure YOU could handle with little problems.

Since you are, or were, active in rescue I'm sure you are keeping tabs on that avenue.

I'll keep you in mind if I hear of any males. I think though, the dogs being washed out are going to be from higher level competitors. They don't generally sell the dogs cheaply because of the amount of training they have on them and a club level person will buy them.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I actually help handle intake for one of the local rescues. Every German Shepherd in the state that needs rescued comes through me; or so it seems. The problem is that I've gotten addicted to a certain type of dog and they don't come through rescue very often.

In my current situation, I really couldn't handle a military dog.

I don't mind paying if the price is commensurate with what I'm getting. If someone has a dog with little to no training and not housebroken that's lived in a kennel run, I'll pay enough to neuter. If a dog has some training and socialization and housebreaking and good nerves and temperament I don't mind paying a few grand.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Of course I'm also keeping an eye on rescues but dogs like that tend to go really quickly and have no problem getting adopted.
**falls off chair**

Quickly?! Where??? We could transport dogs like that pretty regularly to those rescues, whereever they are, if I knew who they were!

I honestly wish I knew where the good adopters for those dogs can be found. Local IPO people won't consider rescues (even though one of ours is rocking the IPO club nearby...but whatever). I actually sigh in sadness every time a shelter calls me with one of those kind of dogs, as I know they're going to sit in foster for a good long while, as they just aren't right for a lot of "average" busy families. I know I'm not alone as I talk to other rescuers in the region.

Keep an eye on rescues in Texas, Louisiana, and Georgia. I see lots and lots of WL dogs turning up in this region, dumped in adolescence once the cute puppy grew up into a big untrained dog. It's kind of depressing what happens to some of these amazing dogs down here, to be honest.

FWIW, we have the hardest time rehoming WL adolescent dogs. We also sometimes take on mals, and those drivey adolescent mals are even harder to place. The average adopter wants an nice 'beginner' dog that's easy to own and fits into a busy family. A lot of these dogs are just way "too much dog" for them.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
ETA:

Texas Star Rescue (Longview, TX) pulls a lot of these kind of dogs out of Louisiana shelters. They aren't a breed rescue, but the people who run that rescue love WL GSDs, so they transport a lot of them to Texas.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
**falls off chair**

Quickly?! Where??? We could transport dogs like that pretty regularly to those rescues, whereever they are, if I knew who they were!

I honestly wish I knew where the good adopters for those dogs can be found.
Austin, Texas. Lots of single folks and DINKS who make their dogs their whole lives.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts