German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do we feel about chicken thighs as the RMB for a starting raw puppy? I can't seem to get quarters, so should I be doing a combo of thighs/drummies or what? There is no quarters at my grocer...... What's the best cuts of meat besides quarters that are beef, chicken, etc..... that provide the right ratio of bone/meat..... also, what's the final ratio you all feed MM to RMB to OM? I'm waiting on my book.... in a foreign country and can't get it for awhile.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are many many people on this site that know A LOT more than me so I hope they respond and help you out. If not...there is tons and tons of information from previous posts. There are also quite a few good books that the experts recommend in a specific thread there. I know you said you have one coming but more info is always welcome around here! With that being said...my pups is 13 weeks old now and we have been feeding raw shortly after we brought him home. From my understanding chicken quarters are considered a good starting point because they provide a good ratio of RMB and MM. For my own piece of mind I actually cut the meat off of the bones for awhile to see exactly what was going on but it is usually a pretty consistent 25% bone to 75% meat. BUT...you are by no means restricted to that!!! The ideal ratios that I strive for from what I have researched on my own is 45-50% RMB 50% MM and 5-10% OM. The key is variety but starting out, as we are, it's a slow process to help our babes tummies. You can do chicken wings for some bones and add in breasts for some more MM if you want to start with chicken. Chicken necks and backs are also some sources for bones. Invest in a scale! Doesn't have to be fancy :)

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I would go with neck or back for the bone on a very youn pup. Add in muscle meat and a bit of organ meat to balance the ratio. If your pup looks like the backs are easy to eat, then legs or thighs should be just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts