German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both are catching and eating wasps as if they are crunchy treats. They don't seem to get stung ever! When wasps bother them at their raw food, they conveniently catch and eat them to get rid of them. How do they do that without getting stung?

·
Registered
72 Posts
:laugh: My puppy chases wasps and it scares the living daylight out of me!

I read up on bee/wasp stings in dogs and a sting inside the mouth may cause swelling to the point where they are unable to breathe.
A sting in any other location isn't an acute concern.

If you suspect a sting inside the mouth it's a trip to the vet.
My pup does this so often that I've considered keeping epinephrine on hand.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not supporting the habit. We have killed off 8 nests around the house this summer. But you never get rid of them completely. I have liquid Benedryl capsules ready: 2 x 25 mg per dog if there is a reaction.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not supporting the habit. We have killed off 8 nests around the house this summer. But you never get rid of them completely. I have liquid Benedryl capsules ready: 2 x 25 mg per dog if there is a reaction.
I hear ya, they seem to like our pool and they nest in places that are difficult to remove. I'll keep the Benadryl in case of emergency.

Something I did to prevent nests is to paint the ceiling a subtle sky blue color. Apparently wasps cannot tell the difference and will not nest in these areas. This significantly cut down on the work of removing them in those difficult to reach locations.

·
Registered
671 Posts
And they just eat them and no stings???? I get freaked out everytime I see bees or wasps so much I never ever let my dog get near them

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Kaiser will catch them in his mouth, then he quickly spits them out straight away, whilst they are dazed he squashes them with his paw and then he eats them... he has been stung a few times which is why he is now cautious and doesn't just eat them straight away

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Both are catching and eating wasps as if they are crunchy treats. They don't seem to get stung ever! When wasps bother them at their raw food, they conveniently catch and eat them to get rid of them. How do they do that without getting stung?
Are you sure they are wasps and not hover flies? (I think that's what they are called) They have been bad here this year.

Shadow snacks on anything that zzzz's and I would guess by the head shaking she has been stung a few times. Does not seem to dull her appetite for her crunchy, flying snacks. I did teach her no bees though!

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Kaiser will catch them in his mouth, then he quickly spits them out straight away, whilst they are dazed he squashes them with his paw and then he eats them... he has been stung a few times which is why he is now cautious and doesn't just eat them straight away
Mine will employ this same method if they're alone. If the other two are in the same vacinity they may go for a snap, bite, and swallow. They are all in tune to the sound of the other snatching a yellow jacket, wasp, or hornet out of the air. If it is spit out its fair game.

If they eat enough of wasps over time, does their bite become venomous? :grin2:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My husband called me at work one day to say that when he walked in the door from work, he almost didn't recognize Max, our yellow lab. He said "you need to come home right away" and I did. My poor boys head was so swollen, his eyes were like slits. I had some benedryl in the house and gave Max one, then we rushed him to a 24 hour a day animal hospital. They rushed him and started treating him right away. The vet asked what had happened and we said we weren't sure, there wasn't any change of food or different medicine or anything like that. We did have some ground bees in the backyard and the only conclusion we could come to was that he had eaten some of them. The vet told me to keep benedryl in the house all the time and told me that you could give so many (I can't remember the amount) benedryls per 10 pounds of body weight, I believe. Max weighed 90, 95 pounds and whatever the dosage was, it came out to an incredible amount of benedryl. The one little pill I gave him didn't really help very much. Anyway, Max recovered and was fine, but it was awfully scary.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure they are wasps and not hover flies? (I think that's what they are called) They have been bad here this year.

Shadow snacks on anything that zzzz's and I would guess by the head shaking she has been stung a few times. Does not seem to dull her appetite for her crunchy, flying snacks. I did teach her no bees though!
Yellow Jackets for sure. They are actually a Hornet variety. Their venom is related. I once was deadly allergic to Yellow Jackets and Hornets. I got the 5-year-long desensitizing shot; strongly recommended.
They somehow know that honey bees are not an option. Much easier to teach as they are not as plentiful as the YJs

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yeah, that sounds much more reasonable. I believe I was told a 25 mg pill for every 10 pounds of pounds of body weight. I would think maybe I had just misheard because of being upset, but my husband remembered the same thing. Max never had another episode like this and neither did my other dogs.

Later, I mentioned it to Max's regular vet and he was like "Oh, that's far too much."

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just checked on the disaster zone. A few remaining YJs are rebuilding and started with a little ball in the way back of the empty hole, which is pretty big. The earthen walls are wall papered with their paper mache. It looks very impressive. I found a pile of poop in front of that nest by a tree so most likely it was a raccoon. I have installed a camera to hopefully catch that brave critter when it comes back. Raccoons have these very soft paws and I wonder how these hurt while digging out that nest :(

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yellow Jackets for sure. They are actually a Hornet variety. Their venom is related. I once was deadly allergic to Yellow Jackets and Hornets. I got the 5-year-long desensitizing shot; strongly recommended.
They somehow know that honey bees are not an option. Much easier to teach as they are not as plentiful as the YJs
My husband is allergic to wasp stings. Did you need help clearing the nest?? >:)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
My female (RIP Sasha!) Used to snap bees of any type out of the air constantly. It stressed me out for quite some time till I realized I couldn't stop her. It was that and small rocks with her. She was living her best life! Died at 13 from cancer....totally unrelated to bees or rocks :)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Tessa does that also, and now since we're in the country horseflies too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts