German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I have a yr old (14mths) GSD/Lab mix. He's crazy smart and just as obnoxious! He is toy motivated, not food motivated which is a first for me. He loves his stuffed toys. Has 6 and a yellow dog seems to be his favorite. He used to de-eye and nose them as well as pull out the stuffing, but he's much better and would rather throw them around now. I happen to have a very sentimental collection of stuffed animals myself above my bed's headboard and he seems to have discovered them. How do I teach him they are off limits? He loves seeking an individual one and then just soaking it in slobber under the dining room table, which happens to be the only place in the house not in my line of sight. We had the idea to spray them heavily with my personal perfume in order for him to smell the difference between the ones he can or can't gave, but other than that I'm at a loss. He does Drop it and Leave it, but his affection for stuffed animals and us using them as training motivation seems to be a block in his goofy head. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Put the good ones away. One of my old rescues shredded a Beanie Baby. They were not beans, they are tiny plastic balls, and they went everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would close the door so that he can only go in there if you are in there. You might try coming up with a word that lets him know those are yours ("no, mine" or something like that), but even then I would not trust him until he is older.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
I ordered a Klone a pet - a stuffed dog that looks like your own. I still make sure I put it away and my dogs are adults they like to defluff stuffed animals so I put it away it just cost to much.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Of all the dogs I've ever had, there has only been one who knew the difference between MY stuffed animals, and the one she was allowed to play with. She was also the ONLY one that didn't immediately de-stuff stuffed toys...

I strongly suspect that she'd lived in a family with small children before she got dumped as a stray, and they may have taught her to leave the kid's toys alone.

Anyway, the lesson was so firmly engrained in her brain that when we bought her a new Panda bear, at first she wouldn't touch it. It took her a few days to realize it was okay to play with that one, too.

She had the same Panda bear toy for 11 years. We washed it on a regular basis. And when she died, I buried her with it between her paws... :crying:

So, yes, they can be taught. But it's likely going to take more time and very, very close supervision than most people are willing to give the task. Also, it depends on how much the dog likes to chew. I have some very heavy chewers, and anything THEY get their paws on is toast before I can intervene!

I'd close the bedroom door. It's better than having a favourite toy destroyed, and getting mad at the dog.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know if this would work since your dog is eager to get this one thing, or is even advised in these parts, but have you tried a commercial spray deterrent from the pet store?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts