German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do I keep my dog off my every move?

Arrrgh! My dog is definitely now an adult... with all her sharp keene senses at play 24/7.

She's always been a 0-60 mile an hour in 2 second dog. That's all good. The last 6-8 weeks - she anticipates my every move....even if she's totally tired and warn out...if she hears a sound like I might be getting food from the kitchen or getting ready to go outside - she's there... comeon, comeon, comeon! Lets eat, lets go outside, I'M READY!

1st thought, not enough exercise.... not - it's every minute of every day regardless. She's not pent up, not nervous (can be laying there snoozing) and it's instant on if she hears me even put a sweater on and I try to be so quiet...she simply doesn't want to be left out or miss anything. Every move I make around the house I try to do on "silent running" but her senses are so acute now - she's there, and she's there, and she's there.....

How can I tone her down? Several times per week I just have to put up a barricade to get her to settle and give me a couple hours peace.:( OK, I'll say it - never had this problem with my other 4 GSD's.... they were all male - does this make a difference? Do I have to get really firm with her to get my space? She knows what "off me" means.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
My Two are that way.. People are pattern driven, and we tend to do things at a certain time, move a certain way, and the dogs learn these... For me, what I do is tell them to stay.. 'Yes I can use the restroom by myself' ..' Stay, I can go get water all by myself.'... Hand gestures for stay, "I can go down the stairs and do such and such all by lonesome, safely '... This mitigates the constant shadowing... If they had their way I would never ever EVER be out of their site, lol.... Annoying and yet endearing

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
There is a group of photos on facebook:

Burglar -- dog is sleeping on the bed
Prowler -- dog is sleeping in its bed
Serial Killer -- dog is passed out on the couch.
Cheese wrapper -- dogs are sitting at attention, eyes focused, ready for action.

Sorry, not sure if we are dealing with working lines or show lines, but mine tend to relax as they mature, and do not have to be ON all the time. If they were, I would kennel them while I took breaks.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand. She is a huge creature of pattern and habit. But! How long do I have to instruct her on every breath I take that it's ok and she's not going to miss anything? Does this wear off in time?

OMG. You should see her when I sneeze.... the world is ending. She's leapt up 4 feet straight up over the bed and my body and by my side because she thinks something might be wrong. This pattern has been repeated for over a year- yet she still responds like I need immediate CPR or something. How can I "unlearn" her or desensitize her, as opposed to micro managing daily life in a hundred different "no stays"?

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
It sounds like she has some sound sensitivity going on. I really haven't dealt with anything like that, so I can't offer any help. I'd ignore it to start with, but you've probably already tried that.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a group of photos on facebook:

Burglar -- dog is sleeping on the bed
Prowler -- dog is sleeping in its bed
Serial Killer -- dog is passed out on the couch.
Cheese wrapper -- dogs are sitting at attention, eyes focused, ready for action.

Sorry, not sure if we are dealing with working lines or show lines, but mine tend to relax as they mature, and do not have to be ON all the time. If they were, I would kennel them while I took breaks.
Lol! Cheese wrapper for sure. Which is strange because she's American/Hungarian Show line. Breeder said she would be medium drive, which I consider accurate - however more like medium as occasionally a balance achieved at mid point on a teeter totter.....

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
They do start to grasp the hand signals and quiet 'stays' and relax back down.. I've been doing it since puppy hood and they have just turned 2..but,they are my SAR partners, and so there is a close close close relationship... Or it could just be the Shepherd thing;) lol.... I personally would have her down and then do chores for 5 minutes.. Come back and let her up and let her mossy around.. Do it again an hour later.. Repeat until you can get 10 minutes of solid down time.. As she learns relaxing while you are away is ok, she should settle... There is of course the possibility of needing more exercise, but my pups will be dragging feet after miles searching in training, and if they think I'm leaving they are up and ready...

That responsibility to let them know it is OK to stay relaxed is on me.. So I give the stay command... Just what works for me.
But I understand the annoying over protective action... If your girl ever gives CPR, please share! :)

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like she has some sound sensitivity going on. I really haven't dealt with anything like that, so I can't offer any help. I'd ignore it to start with, but you've probably already tried that.
That might be the problem. We go dead quiet here for months(winter) then suddenly we're into 16 hours of daylight and life totally changes - lots of activity and people and big trucks all around. I'll look further into sound sensitivity and see if I can get some insight from that possibility.

If it's just her age and switchover, I can deal with that and be patient but boy howdy - right now I have a little sucker attached at the hip.... I just rubbed my eye - she had her back turned to me and is 5 feet away but because I moved - she had to check what was going on...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Just wondering if you have background noise, e.g. a TV on in the background. Could help de-sensitize her to your noise.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I can see your point and suggestion. I just told her to go to bed. She will stay in there until I tell her she can come out. She's good at long stays. I just feel bad to have to send her away... I'm sitting here in this 16x22 foot room but she can't be in hearing or seeing range of me because she can't relax. Once I send her in there and it's this late at night - I will get some peace.

When I first got her, part of something that I read about "dog massage" made some sense to me, so the first couple of weeks I had her, to get her to settle when she got land sharky was to lay her down and give her these little puppy massages. Two thumbs right down her backbone, rubbing arms etc and it was like instant relaxation for her. I might try that again...

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Stone.

You crack me up as I was in your shoes a couple of years ago when it dawned on me, how predictable I was...along with how perceptive my dog was.....but my failing was.....I underestimated how capable my dog was of obvious routine...which is a many a dog's strong suit....they are creatures of habit....theirs or yours...sounds like more "yours"...or maybe it's just simply one routine.....which is a good thing.

When it became blatantly obvious to me that my dog was a step or two ahead of me...just as you described....I started throwing a few curve balls at my dog when the obvious was about to take place. Just as your previous training and daily routines have dictated your dog's response ...you can take that further but as you know...it takes conditioning. My experience suggests...that if a certain action on my behalf might have 2 or more possible outcomes... the dog learns over time there is no one outcome....that in itself keeps the dog at bay but will eventually learn what option you might be taking.....which is both good or maybe back to square one perhaps.....because these dogs figure stuff out in short order. It can be a chore fooling this breed at times.

I might use a commanded "down." with an implied "stay" at times when the dog assumes something otherwise might happen... predicated on my usual behavior and where it leads to normally.

FWIW, there are certain behaviors which I will not take this approach with ...simply because I want consistency...I think you know what I am talking about.

SuperG

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wondering if you have background noise, e.g. a TV on in the background. Could help de-sensitize her to your noise.
Another great idea. No, it's dead silent. All but about 2 months of the year, either the heater and blower are on or the air conditioners. All background noise that isn't going on right now.... that's a biggie I hadn't considered. We're going up to the 90's starting tomorrow so I will be putting the AC's in both windows. I bet that will help. I had a hard time sleeping the first few nights the heater was off. Thanks!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yea, I know what you're talking about. Don't mess with the vital urgent commands. But - I know this dog's got me nailed as far as habits and she is the "stick to the routine" police! I change up some stuff and you're right - 1st day works, 2nd day little hesitation, 3rd day - she's waiting for either change up, 4th day- new pattern is established and expected. I do mess with her every week changing up our exercise play sessions. She's gotten so fast and anticipating my bluffs and real throws I can hardly get anything past her. I think it's time for a flirt pole for her. She'll be 2 in 2 days and her legs/hips structure look really good, no problems. I think it would be a cool B-Day present and I'm sure with her prey drive she would love it.

It's got some good points. I'm in my 60's now and forgetting some little stuff. SHE won't let me. If I forget to do all the little habits every day, she reminds me. I mean - she plants herself in front of what needs to happen. Breakfast - toaster and her dog food, if I forget the yogurt topping she gives me a look... Lunch - parked in front of her dog food bowl - we need to eat- feed me so I can beg for your lunch after.... outside time.. every hour - she comes and knocks my hand off the mouse and won't go away....

I don't know if you guys remember but I was thinking originally about looking into training her for a therapy dog to help with my migraines. That was just a dream of the ignorant (so much training involved) but I never suspected she would be filling in now with these little memory gaps I'm suddenly having.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will respectfully suggest that employing background noise is probably selling your dog short.

SuperG
Well, that, in itself would probably be right, but through this conversation - I can see a number of things that might be causing the problem and am planning on doing all of them to try to help. They're all little things but they might add up to a solution.

In particular, the background noise at night when we are trying to settle and sleep... I can see that as a huge help for her for that part of a 24 hour cycle.:)

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I started both dogs off tethered to me or a table or crated. If they wanted freedom, they had to earn it. Right now I'm online and watching Netflix (and not doing either one very well) and they are both sound asleep at my feet because I expect it and neither is tethered. I also wore them out earlier, so they are exhausted. I've taught them a place command. If I tell them to lie down in their spots, they must do it or they are crated. They do it.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started both dogs off tethered to me or a table or crated. If they wanted freedom, they had to earn it. Right now I'm online and watching Netflix (and not doing either one very well) and they are both sound asleep at my feet because I expect it and neither is tethered. I also wore them out earlier, so they are exhausted. I've taught them a place command. If I tell them to lie down in their spots, they must do it or they are crated. They do it.
You and I have different expectations and needs. I won't say anymore.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Be interesting to see if she ever does alert to your migraines.. She is so in tune to you... Might miss it, her being overly annoying, and then wham, a migraine.. Hope you never have another to find out if she will alert, but it would be neat if she did/does...

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Be interesting to see if she ever does alert to your migraines.. She is so in tune to you... Might miss it, her being overly annoying, and then wham, a migraine.. Hope you never have another to find out if she will alert, but it would be neat if she did/does...
It would be cool if she did, but I've probably not, I've had over 150 since I got her and she shows no response. Looking further into that, apparently it is a rare ability, one of the rarest in a dog's inheritance. It's not like a dog that can "smell" cancer cells or detect thru known means. There's even controversy as to if this is reality or just a wishful thing.

You can train to begin a behavior when you first have symptoms and key the dog - and get sequence responses from there.. but the pre warning stuff is pretty iffy right now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts