German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the puking - which is probably every other day or so and the peeing on his legs - every time... how do I keep him clean. It's gross and smelly and I don't want to bathe him too often (although he enjoys the bath!) I've tried wiping his paws with a towel before coming inside and cleaning up puke as soon as it happens- sometimes we're out and we come home and it stinks- he eats it!
He eats twice a day- morning and evening. His puke is random- it's mostly all bile- he is obsessed with drinking water - would drink non stop if we let him- he actually learned to push the thing on the refrigerator to get his own water- which we taught him not to do- but he still tries to sneak some when we aren't looking..

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Has he had his kidney levels done/blood work? I haven't gone back through posts but if he is above the normal puppy level in terms of drinking (and I have no idea) and he is puking every other day...I would be starting to look at other stuff.
Juvenile Renal Disease in Dogs - VetInfo

Earth Bath makes wipes and Kiehl's makes a spray bath but I would want to know the underlying causes of some of the other stuff.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
As Jean said, the vomiting that frequently is not normal. My experience with a dog who vomited often and was a voracious drinker..... she had swallowed a skein of yarn and a towel and had a nasty blockage.
So first, vet check.

Eating vomit is the dog's only way of cleaning house. Gross, but understandable.
Urinating on legs.... generally they get better at this as they get older. In warm weather I use a gentle spray from the hose and a quick toweling off before we go back inside.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
You need to get to the bottom of the vomiting problem. It is not normal, and he should not be sick that often.
Vomiting is only a symptom of something else that's going on.
It could be in an ingredient in his food, it could be SIBO or an ulcer, it could be that his stomach is empty and he needs a snack, or it might even be a kidney problem, as suggested above, but you need to find out why his stomach is so chronically irritated.

As for cleanup of barf, pee, etc., the best thing I have found to use as a liquid called Get Serious.
Splash a little on a microfiber cloth to clean up. Works great on paws, and it is non-toxic.

Or, get a container of cheap baby wipes, rinse out the liquid they come in, and pour some Get Serious in there instead.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i keep a towel near the front door and the basement door
for wiping my dog off when needed. my neighbor taught
my dog to spin on the throw rug that's lays in front of the
door to wipe his paws. find out why your dog is throwing up.
i would use a wet towel to wipe off the vomit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts