German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been thinking about how to introduce my new future pup to some things and thought about just asking! Here are a few things I was wondering about...

How do I introduce my puppy to the roaming neighborhood dogs? And the dogs that live on the other side of the fence?
Here's a little info on my particular situation.. We have a full fenced yard, solid vinyl, 5 feet high. On the other side of our fence lives 2 chihuahua's and a papallion. They stay in the house most of the time but come out and roam the yard off and on. We know our neighbors and mostly talk to them in the front yard (without the dogs) but have honestly never interacted with the dogs. They are pretty vocal and used to get into "fence fights" (just a lot of yapping at each other through the fence) with our min pin. Our min pin is a senior and is slowing done so she has pretty much lost interest in them. I want our new puppy to be aware they are there but have no interest in them. I don't what her to try to jump the fence! But I don't know their behavior and if we try to introduce them, I don't know if they would be snappy. What do you suggest?
Our other situation with the neighborhood dogs is we have on, a yorkie, that gets let out and wanders and usually uses our lawn as a toilet. He is a little older and we are good friends with the family and I even take care of him when they are out of town (not at our home, just let him out, feed him, etc). Our min pin dislikes this dog very much and has gone after him when he is on our lawn and another time he was in our garage. He is not the smartest tack in the box but is friendly. What is the best way to introduce our pup to this guy?

How do I introduce my pup to a horse safely?

How do I introduce my pup to a Roomba robot vacuum?
I know this sounds silly but I don't want her to be scared of it! It runs every other day!

Anyone else please feel free to add your questions to this tread too!

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
How do I introduce my pup to a horse safely?
#1, know your horse. Or your friend's horse, or whichever horse you plan to initially introduce. A calm, steady individual that is acclimated to other dogs is good. Some horses do not like dogs, do not try and train your dog on a strange/unknown horse behind a fence! Stressful for everyone involved.

I have found it easiest to start when the puppy is young, small enough that you can tuck him/her under your arm and let him/her observe the horse. From a distance, then gradually closer. Horses are not for chasing or barking or circling. Take it slow. If the young puppy gets too wound up, just walk away and try again later. My ideal behavior for my dogs is to be neutral around horses. No stalking, no eye-ing/herding behavior.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts