German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Ares ◉‿◉
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't know, here's AKC explaining fast CAT : Coursing Ability Test – is a timed 100-yard dash where dogs run one at a time, chasing a lure. and here's lure coursing : dogs chase a mechanized, white plastic lure around a 600+ yard course that simulates the unpredictability of chasing live prey.
if you're confused between the difference of fast CAT and Lure coursing, one way to remember is that lure coursing is meant for sighthounds, for example the greyhound, the whippet and the Ibizan hound, which were all built for changing directions quick and running fast.
Anyhow, I was wondering how I could get my dog started in this? I feel like he would really enjoy doing something like this and it would be good exercise for him. What type of equipment can I use at home? The only thing I see is AKC hosting events and I don't have my dog registered in it so we cant really participate in that.
Thank you!

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
Bo is not AKC and intact so he can't run in FAST Cat. But he is allowed at practices. Deja is AKC and too intense to run safely. Grabs the lure at the finish and rolls herself into a burrito. If your non-AKC dog is neutered or spayed you can participate. Bo is UKC and I chose not to neuter him for that dumb policy.

·
Registered
Ares ◉‿◉
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bo is not AKC and intact so he can't run in FAST Cat. But he is allowed at practices. Deja is AKC and too intense to run safely. Grabs the lure at the finish and rolls herself into a burrito. If your non-AKC dog is neutered or spayed you can participate. Bo is UKC and I chose not to neuter him for that dumb policy.
Sorry to ask, but why isn't Bo neutered? (Besides the AKC and their rules 😂)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Sorry to ask, but why isn't Bo neutered? (Besides the AKC and their rules 😂)
Actually a better question would have been why neuter him? I have a nearly 5 yr old female who is intact. Should I spay her? I read a recent report that 20% of late spayed females develop some sort of urinary incontinence. Why risk that?

Fixing something that isn't broken???

Why, just why?

·
Registered
Ares ◉‿◉
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually a better question would have been why neuter him? I have a nearly 5 yr old female who is intact. Should I spay her? I read a recent report that 20% of late spayed females develop some sort of urinary incontinence. Why risk that?

Fixing something that isn't broken???

Why, just why?
Well it's not necessarily fixing some that isn't broken, it more reducing the risk of having accidental litters? That's how I think of it anyways. There are all sort of things that come into play but as long as you're responsible I'm sure there won't be any dogs in shelters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dogs LOVE fast cats! We actually have another run coming up next month. It is not hard to get started, just go to the AKC events page to find competitions near you. Most clubs have fun runs for those who just want to practice or want to see if their dog will run. Dont get discouraged if your dog doesnt chase the bag the first time some dont, my 1 girl ran the first time she saw the bag move, my male on the other hand took a couple of tries before he would run the whole course. You will need 1 other person with you to either release your dog or catch him. If you have a dog that likes to bite the line or wont release the bag you can always run them in a muzzle. Most courses are fenced (sometimes with snow fence) if not fenced you definitly will want a good solid recall on your dog.

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
Tip: make sure your dog is OK with being caught by someone else. A few years ago a dog (Mexican Hairless) was startled by a strange person, trying to catch her, ran off and was never seen again. We are in Coyote, Cougar and Bob Cat country

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tip: make sure your dog is OK with being caught by someone else. A few years ago a dog (Mexican Hairless) was startled by a strange person, trying to catch her, ran off and was never seen again. We are in Coyote, Cougar and Bob Cat country
That is why I always catch my own dog! My daughter releases them for me, but if she wasnt available to release I would have a helper release never catch.

·
Registered
Ares ◉‿◉
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's scary! I'll have someone that he knows catch him. He's good with people but I'm not sure if he can tolerate getting touched by someone he doesn't know, I don't want to take the chance that he'll bite someone or run off.

·
Registered
Ares ◉‿◉
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dogs LOVE fast cats! We actually have another run coming up next month. It is not hard to get started, just go to the AKC events page to find competitions near you. Most clubs have fun runs for those who just want to practice or want to see if their dog will run. Dont get discouraged if your dog doesnt chase the bag the first time some dont, my 1 girl ran the first time she saw the bag move, my male on the other hand took a couple of tries before he would run the whole course. You will need 1 other person with you to either release your dog or catch him. If you have a dog that likes to bite the line or wont release the bag you can always run them in a muzzle. Most courses are fenced (sometimes with snow fence) if not fenced you definitly will want a good solid recall on your dog.
I saw that you have to have your dog registered in order to compete in the AKC fast CAT. I'm not quite sure how registering works if I'm honest 😅

1 - 13 of 13 Posts