German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i get my gsd aggressive yes i have my reasons as the place i live has alot of theives that break into people's houses and take their stuff a local cop advised the comunity to get aggressive dogs to gaurd our house. my gsd is currently 9 weeks old and my bro kicked in once today and once again yesterday i was so angry when i found out so i built him a kennel so he could stay whenever im gone will this make him coward and non aggressive?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Your local cop is an idiot. I hope he remembers this when he starts having to respond to calls where dogs are biting little kids and innocent visitors. At nine weeks old your dog has a good year before he has any business guarding anything. I suggest you call ADT and/or buy a gun.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Is this for real?

The local cop advised to get an aggressive dog to guard the house?

I honestly don't even know where to begin about this...

A nine week old pup has no concept about being aggressive, it is a BABY and will go through different stages until it's actually ready to be trained.

By the way, trust me, you don't want to have an aggressive German Shepherd on your hand. If you don't know anything about raising a puppy I doubt you could handle an aggressive dog either... :help:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gaurd dog is a smart idea as they will be alert at night im usually out cold at night i dont wake uup to the loudest of sounds lol do guns would be pointless and these theives carry guns x.x i already have a service that alerts cops when someone enters my house but i still dont feel secure enough what if they come in shoot me and exit .-.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
You kick your brother and don't make your GSD aggressive. You train your dog for obedience and then maybe train him for protection when he's old enough and mature enough but that could be 2 years from now...if...if..if...he has that drive in him. But just being a GSD does not mean he'll have the drive to be a personal protection dog.

Most times, just having a large dog is deterrent enough for criminals. Invest in a good home security system.

And yes...your local cop didn't have a good suggestion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have PTSD from the Iraq war and have a hard time sleeping due to the fact that Im always on alert mode . One of the reasons i bought my dog was to alert me if he heard something out of the ordinary. There is no way you can teach a pup to start guarding , my dog is 8 months old and he is still not ready. Let him be a pup , and buy a gun . Thats what I did. Dont make him mean because then he becomes a liability .

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
oh for Pete's sake!! where to begin is right!!

and I have no idea what you're trying to say here....

"my gsd is currently 9 weeks old and my bro kicked in once today and once again yesterday i was so angry when i found out so i built him a kennel so he could stay whenever im gone will this make him coward and non aggressive?"

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I think it's two things.
1. He wants his puppy to be aggressive.
2. His brother kicked his puppy.

And when that happened you tried to do the right thing and protected the puppy from your brother by keeping him away from your brother. (though if someone kicked my puppy I would jack their hind end UP)

So now again, you have a chance to do the right thing and do as others have suggested - get another form of home security, train yourself in self-defense and the use of a firearm, and work on positive obedience classes and bonding with your dog.

If you want a dog to protect you, you need to look at what you are buying very carefully - I am not sure if you did that with your puppy, or if he has the right stuff to be the kind of dog who can or will protect. Of course he will look intimidating so +1 for him.

If he's not, then you may want to ask yourself if you should keep him or perhaps contact rescue to see about placing him. And then start looking for adult dogs and talking to breeders who know what they are talking about in terms of protection dogs.

Or something like that!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I feel so sorry for this puppy. I worry about cuddling, playing and loving my puppy as much as possible and there are people out there that at 9 weeks are worrying about making their dog as aggressive as possible. Very sad...

·
Registered
394 Posts
First of all, he is WAY too young to be taught ANY form of protection. Secondly, I am very, very concerned about your brother or anyone kicking a puppy. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?????? What keeps them from doing it again? If you think that will make your dog mean, think again. That's actually cruelty to animals and he could be charged BTW. Anyway, if you treat the dog with respect from day 1, take him to obedience and see where that goes. He may or not be the type that will do protection work. If you wanted a dog for protection, you should have looked at breeders carefully and spoke to them of your intentions so that you can train it (LATER) for protection work (after obedience).

My GSD was loved from day 1, NEVER had any formal training but when someone came to my house and pointed his finger at my husband, he charged. It took everything for my husband (300lbs, 6'4") to hold him back. He was in attack mode and was going for it. My point here is that the dog was instinctively protective of his owner, not because we made him mean but because we loved him and GSD have instinct to protect in them (hence why i love the breed). They LOVE YOU and will protect you. Don't need to kick them!!!!

If your intentions are to begin training this poor puppy to be aggressive, take him to a no-kill or rescue group, if you have a gun, keep it loaded and that's it. Or better yet, save one of the pitbulls from the dog fighting ring - they are ready for protection work (absolutely no pun intended for the pitbull lovers in this forum). Of course no guarantees that they wouldn't turn on you! Let puppies be puppies PLEASE

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
gaurd dog is a smart idea as they will be alert at night im usually out cold at night i dont wake uup to the loudest of sounds lol do guns would be pointless and these theives carry guns x.x i already have a service that alerts cops when someone enters my house but i still dont feel secure enough what if they come in shoot me and exit .-.
Just what do you expect your dog to do (when he gets old enough) with a thief who has a gun?

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
My GSD was loved from day 1, NEVER had any formal training but when someone came to my house and pointed his finger at my husband, he charged. It took everything for my husband (300lbs, 6'4") to hold him back. He was in attack mode and was going for it. My point here is that the dog was instinctively protective of his owner, not because we made him mean but because we loved him and GSD have instinct to protect in them (hence why i love the breed). They LOVE YOU and will protect you. Don't need to kick them!!!!..............
Why were you so happy when your dog reacted like that to someone just pointing a finger at your husband?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts