German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 685 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up with Remington after relentlessly checking "german shepherd dog names" "baby names" and all sorts of sites. I had a list of like 30 names that (ex) BF axed all of them. I wanted Remy as a sort of "protection" dog-not attack or be mean dog, but since I was home alone a lot, just something to make me feel secure. Remington, being a gun brand, I thought- how funny would it be if I could say I have my own Remington protection ;)

Now, almost every time I am asked what her name is, and I say 'Remington,' almost every one has the same reply... "LIKE THE GUN?!" hehe. I didn't name her specifically after the gun, but I always say, "yes, like the gun." :rolleyes:

How did you come up with your beloved fur-child's name?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl is named after the Countess Lisl von Schlaf from the James Bond movie For Your Eyes Only.

A lot of women think she is named after von Trapp's eldest daughter Liesl from The Sound of Music.

Different spelling.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Finnian was just a good Irish name as his AKC name is Finnian the Irish Lad.

Cheyenne came from being born in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Cheyenne, just because we liked the name.

Panzer, after the "german tank" reference. And Panzer's registered name is Faegen, which means Joy! :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
We got Lucky when I was 12 and my sister was 10. On the way home the parents said that we were "lucky" to get her and it stuck.

Shania came to me with that name. She has certainly lived up to it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm German, and always wanted a GSD named after the city of Berlin for as long as I can remember. Lol.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Diesel was named after my favorite perfume lol and she was mostly black so that too... Penny was named after Penny off of the show the Big Bang Theory as that character is sooo adorable so I named my puppy after her :) I will be getting a male either in the summer or in the fall and I will be naming him either Leonard or Sheldon (also characters from the show ) :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
The last dog I named was Linus in 1985, Oh yes and Oscar in 1988-- my kids naimed Rainbow, my daughter named Toby for a T litter, I had a list and picked Cyra from a C litter list - Grim and Beau already had their names.

Way back Arlo was named for Arlo Guthrie and Waggles from a book I read in grade school called Waggles and the Dog Catcher. I named Linus for Linus Pauling, and Oscar becase I just liked the name.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dexter is named after Dexter Morgan from the TV show. I have always loved the name - and the Dexter books. We just got him a Dexter Morgan name tag, and the lady said "You named your dog after a serial killer?" No ma'am, I named my dog after a fictional character. :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Ace was named after a k9 in a police show that left a big impression on me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ranger was named by the Seeing Eye before they brought him to our home.

Buzz came with his name. He was already 5 yo so we couldn't see changing it though we were not crazy about it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Miss Mattie Lynn was renamed when she limped out of her kennel the humane society had set up at a rescue point, and into my arms. Her long fur was so dreadlocked and matted up that her hind leg was practically "sewn" to her body. It was shameful. We fixed it. :D

Jack came from the same rescue efforts, but a day later. He was one of the last to be chosen, and looked really scrawny and plain, and no-one was interested in him. He had no microchip and no collar, so the rescuers were calling him no-chip-no-collar. I had to work late that day, so I was one of the last foster parents to arrive. I figured, he's a foster so no matter that he's a plain Jane. He just needs my help. So I took him home and called him plain ole Jack. It was the simplest thing I could come up with.

Love it now, because Jack and Lil' (Lillian, my weimaraner), are the bestest of buds and it rolls off the tongue, Jack and Lil'...like Jack and Jill.

Both "fosters" stayed with me and are forever mine. Jack is truly my heart dog. He came to me missing half of his ear so I tease him sometimes, and call him my One-Eared Jack o' Hearts! :rolleyes:

P.S. When the dogs' seizure was overturned by the courts a few months later, I drove to the kennel and negotiate their purchase. The breeders recognized them instantly and called them by their given names, to which Neither one responded. Mattie just turned right around and jumped back up into my truck. Love my rescues!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo(s) was the bar where I met my husband 32 years ago.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kaos (Maxwell smart spelling) and Havoc for a new GSD puppy coming shortly because I think they fit a German Shepherd perfectly.....

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Bear is named after my favorite football team, The Chicago Bears and it was also one of the only names that all of the family members could agree upon.
He was also almost named, Wrigley and Roscoe (all Chicago references) :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Bear is named after my favorite football team, The Chicago Bears and it was also one of the only names that all of the family members could agree upon.
He was also almost named, Wrigley and Roscoe (all Chicago references) :)
:thumbup: chi-town represent! Roscoe is actually a pretty cool name!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 685 Posts