German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think you can really tell. I have a dark sable female who is 8 months old. She's changed gradually but continually over the last 6 months. Below is her at 4 and 8 months. She was a fair bit darker at 6 months. No idea when or if the colour stops changing.
Cat Felidae Wood Grey Carnivore

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Fence

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I would look at the parents as a general guideline. Then there are two answers I’ve heard. One, the first two days are a good illustration of what you get. The other is 6 weeks is a good illustration of what you get. Sables can spend years changing, from subtle to drastic. Then there’s also summer vs winter coats. Here’s a look a Bear and Kodak when I got them vs now.
Dog Car Carnivore Plant Vehicle

Dog Carnivore Floor Wood Flooring

Plant Dog People in nature Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Dog breed Road surface Asphalt Grass

·
Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
20,379 Posts
How old is he in the photos? Since he's much darker than the pup on the left I think he'll stay pretty dark, but HOW dark is impossible to guess at this point. He'll get lighter for awhile and then start getting darker again - what I like to call the "blonde phase", lol.

Here's Cava at 5 weeks (purple collar), and her sister Caia (green collar).

Dog Carnivore Fawn Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout

Caia was darker as a pup and she's still darker now, at 4+ years old.

Here is Cava, gone blonde at 18 weeks:

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Cava now
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Snout German shepherd dog

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
Hi
So we are getting a dark sable.
I'm gonna love him no matter but curious as to what thoughts will be on his coloring or coat later, I'd love if he was more dark. View attachment 592905
View attachment 592904
i guess i’m not entirely sold that the circled pup is even sable. at first glance it looks black and tan with the potential for a lighter mask…. or perhaps a patterned sable which typically aren’t super dark. the lighting of the second photo doesn’t help at all. litter looks all over the place color wise with 1 unmistakable sable, and 1 unmistakable black and tan. as bear suggested, i’m interested in the color of the parents and if they’re non standard colors.

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
1,048 Posts
How old is he in the photos? Since he's much darker than the pup on the left I think he'll stay pretty dark, but HOW dark is impossible to guess at this point. He'll get lighter for awhile and then start getting darker again - what I like to call the "blonde phase", lol.

Here's Cava at 5 weeks (purple collar), and her sister Caia (green collar).

View attachment 592940

View attachment 592941

Caia was darker as a pup and she's still darker now, at 4+ years old.

Here is Cava, gone blonde at 18 weeks:

View attachment 592942

Cava now
View attachment 592944
Cava is stunning!

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
adorable.
looks like a bear cub…
certainly sable in these pics, still strikes me as being a patterned sable which i’m sure probably means nothing to you if you’re new to the breed.
david’s dog valor should have easy to find photos here on the forum.

still curious tho, what are his parents colors? i’m guessing a black and tan parent and a sable parent (or either of those colors masked under white).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts