German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just to be clear, confident killers/psycho/attack ppl are not any better breed traits then being to passive. A well bred GSD should be calm, confident and aloof. Aloof does not mean unfriendly it means they don't go out of their way to solicit attention from strangers.
Sabi loved making new friends, and only protected the house if her humans were in it. She alerted to trespassers but would not have bitten someone who posed no threat. She WORKED for a living. Actual patrol work. Building searches, arresting various unsavory humans, crowd control. My safety was directly dependant on her being very good at what she did. And she was, for 9 long years. She was stolen at one point, by someone she knew but stolen none the less. I also at various times sent my staff into my house to retrieve her or some other needed item if I was double shifting. She swung easily between playing with the kids, patrol work, sleeping under my desk in the office or whatever else I needed. A GSD should easily be all that.
I disagree. Nowhere in the Gsd standard does it say “passive” or “calm”

but that’s why there’s different types of gsd for different folks. But the gsd standard is active and protective... here’s from the akc itself. Willing to Lay its life on the line. So in fact a passive gsd isn’t really a gsd at all

·
Registered
178 Posts
Being “pure bred” has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of a dog. How or why do you think your dog would bite a person for real. This belief is a major misperception. What is your dog’s pedigree?
he tried to as a 6 month old puppy when he escaped my yard and chased my neighbor into their house. He would definitely draw blood on an intruder no doubt in my mind. Ppl are in danger if I don’t say “it’s okay”. He has taken a lot of training. A lot. His dad was grisu vom frankengold mom was rozalia wolf gang

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I disagree. Nowhere in the Gsd standard does it say “passive” or “calm”

but that’s why there’s different types of gsd for different folks. But the gsd standard is active and protective... here’s from the akc itself. Willing to Lay its life on the line. So in fact a passive gsd isn’t really a gsd at all
View attachment 559537
You are the only one saying passive and if you read what you quoted the sentence you did not finish was in defense of their loved ones, not an empty house.
Now if you like read the breed standard, not a quote from a kennel club breed promo. That may give you a better understanding.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You are the only one saying passive and if you read what you quoted the sentence you did not finish was in defense of their loved ones, not an empty house.
Now if you like read the breed standard, not a quote from a kennel club breed promo. That may give you a better understanding.
I would hope my dog would defend my empty house too I mean shoot that’s what I got him for! Defend himself and his “den”. We don’t have to agree! It’s okay. Atleast we both love and support the breed

·
Registered
178 Posts
So how many GSD lines are there?
There’s only one standard. But different breeders breed out different traits. Some breeders like calmer dogs for companion work like blind ppl etc. Some breeders like more active dogs for IPO. Some breeders breed for nice coats only “show dog”. Some breeders don’t care about the standard at all and breed for huge dogs which usually have tons of issues... it depends. The standard has its own interpretations too as you can see us arguing over. Because we all like certain traits in our dog and some ppl like some aspects more than others

but in my opinion a gsd has to be 1. Protective 2. Athletic not lazy and 3. Confident not afraid of ppl etc

if you don’t have those 3 traits it might look like a gsd but it’s more of a Shiloh Shepherd or something else

so when I talk to a breeder I always ask what is your dogs temperament? How protective are they? How active? Would your dogs protect you if someone broke in etc? They’ll give you a degree of what kind of dogs they have and what they breed for. Also look for titles like IPO to show their dogs are trainable and protective for real

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
There are showlines and working lines all governed by the same standard, I have copied the AKC standard for you. NO well breed GSD should ever be hostile or mean. There is a huge difference between protective and nasty.

Temperament: The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character. Any of the above deficiencies in character which indicate shyness must be penalized as very serious faults and any dog exhibiting pronounced indications of these must be excused from the ring. It must be possible for the judge to observe the teeth and to determine that both testicles are descended. Any dog that attempts to bite the judge must be disqualified. The ideal dog is a working animal with an incorruptible character combined with body and gait suitable for the arduous work that constitutes its primary purpose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The breed is broadly separated into three categories. They are American showline, West German showline, and working line. The Working lines can be broken further down into West German, East German, and Czech. The standard set by the Akc has differences from the one set by the SV, the founding club. The American showlines are bred to follow the akc standard and judging, while the others are bred to follow the SV standard. They all are considered the same breed, but vary based on the breeders goals.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
The breed is broadly separated into three categories. They are American showline, West German showline, and working line. The Working lines can be broken further down into West German, East German, and Czech. The standard set by the Akc has differences from the one set by the SV, the founding club. The American showlines are bred to follow the akc standard and judging, while the others are bred to follow the SV standard. They all are considered the same breed, but vary based on the breeders goals.
The temperament portion does not differ significantly between the SV and the AKC.

The German Shepherd must be self assured, balanced with strong nerves and absolutely impartial behaviour, whilst maintaining a good nature - until pushed to the limit. The dog must be vibrant and easygoing. Furthermore the dog must be courageous, have a strong fighting instinct and possess firm nerves. These are essential requirements since the dog is to be used as companion, guardian, protector and a working sheepdog.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I bet if someone who knew dogs stood their ground and charged him yelling and screaming at six months, the pup would have run off. The neighbor running just stimulated prey and encouraged defense.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bet if someone who knew dogs stood their ground and charged him yelling and screaming to six months, the pup would have run off. The neighbor or running just stimulated prey and encouraged defense.
whatever bud, let it go lol

my dog fought another dog off before too at a midnight attack when we were jogging. Idk if you’re supposed to be some kind of expert or what but you’re very wrong on this

·
Registered
49 Posts
The temperament portion does not differ significantly between the SV and the AKC.

The German Shepherd must be self assured, balanced with strong nerves and absolutely impartial behaviour, whilst maintaining a good nature - until pushed to the limit. The dog must be vibrant and easygoing. Furthermore the dog must be courageous, have a strong fighting instinct and possess firm nerves. These are essential requirements since the dog is to be used as companion, guardian, protector and a working sheepdog.
I agree that the temperament they shoot for is the same. It’s incorrect to say there’s only one standard. You’re dog does serve as a good example of the temperament they want.
whatever bud, let it go lol

my dog fought another dog off before too at a midnight attack when we were jogging. Idk if you’re supposed to be some kind of expert or what but you’re very wrong on this
Dog aggression and human aggression are very different. A dog that has natural social aggression towards people, mainly in territorial and dominance, is incredibly rare, and out line with the German Shepard breed standard. That is a dog that will require extensive training to not be a liability, and in most homes will be put down.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Has your dog ever had a live bite? You dog is a show line dog. It is hard enough to find a working line GSD that is civil, much less a show line GSD. Yes, dog aggression is different than human aggression and is often based on insecurity. The fighting instincts have been bred out of the show lines in exchange for physical appearance. The same is happening with many of the working lines at the expense of unbalanced, high prey dogs that are bred for sport performance more so than real man work. The standard is a farce. True working sheepdog genetics have been lost. A dog's gait is not really that important unless it is so awkward it prevents the dog from being agile. That part of the standard is driven by the show people to justify the extreme type they breed which fits the narrative of the standard while compensating for lack of working temperament.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Please keep in mind opinions are not facts.
Let's refrain from my (working,show,herding,etc) line is superior and the line another owns is a travesty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Has your dog ever had a live bite? You dog is a show line dog. It is hard enough to find a working line GSD that is civil, much less a show line GSD. Yes, dog aggression is different than human aggression and is often based on insecurity. The fighting instincts have been bred out of the show lines in exchange for physical appearance. The same is happening with many of the working lines at the expense of unbalanced, high prey dogs that are bred for sport performance more so than real man work. The standard is a farce. True working sheepdog genetics have been lost. A dog's gait is not really that important unless it is so awkward it prevents the dog from being agile. That part of the standard is driven by the show people to justify the extreme type they breed which fits the narrative of the standard while compensating for lack of working temperament.
You can meet my dog any time you want and I guarantee he will bite you. We have had close calls at the vet and other places and through extensive training I’ve controlled him. I think you are misinformed sir. You can have your opinions that’s fine but I dont understand your obsession with my dog. You’re more than welcome to go breed your own dogs however you want to your “standard”. My dog is a show line but his dad is IPO 3 and mom IPO2 and I’m sure when I start ipo my boy will do very well also. But I have better things to do than argue with strangers on the internet. Have a good one :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
IPO titles are no indication if a dog has the genetics to be civil. Why would your dog almost bite a veterinarian? That sounds like insecurity. I don't have an obsession with your dog. I try to educate people when I can. I don't know your dog and he might be a very confident, strong, civil dog, but his genetics are inconsistent with a strong civil dog and your description of him almost biting the vet and others sounds like fear biting.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.