German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
GSDs are all individuals, just like people. Coat length has nothing to do with temperament. There are many, probably the majority of GSDs that would not have the temperament to prevent a stranger from taking them and shaving them.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
And THIS is why I never leave my dogs unattended.
The first approach was to make friends with the dog, the other dog was bait to smooth the way and make it look ok. In this case they actually broke in but usually they wait for the dog to be outside unwatched. While some dogs may bark, few will actively confront a stranger while their owners are absent. And a dog savy person can read the difference.
A few months back a blond woman was trying to pet Shadow while she waited in the car for me. I had the window down several inches and the woman was fairly determinedly trying to get her hand past Shadows teeth. She took the time to blast me for cruelty when I approached. I was at a gas station.
Sudbury is about an hour and a bit from here.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
That's sad. This is one of the reasons I choose to own this breed. They are theft proof. At least they should be.

I showed a friend some recent pictures of my dogs in my yard. He ask if they ever jumped my fence. I said nope, they are GSDs.

Long coats have been linked to softer dogs in some lines. I have owned two of them and both were softer than their siblings. It was very pronounced in the first one but she was from overall softer lines. The second one is out of a ZVV3 dam by a Czech police dog. He is a fairly strong male but he pales in comparison to his stock coated brother.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
I thought gsd have a natrual protection instinct or does the long coated have less of this?
MAWL’s answer is more relevant, but an interesting observation I had today...

Many regulars on this board already know that I train guide dogs... training is on hold right now so we’ve been covering in other departments. The past two days I’ve been working in the puppy center - this morning I had 7 labs and 4 lab x golden crosses. The crosses are naturally a bit fluffier... it didn’t take long before realizing that everyone was (subconsciously?) more drawn to them. The oooh’s and awww’s were almost always directed towards the fluffier pups... they got the most body handling and affection which made for more calm and relaxed puppies, where as the pure labs seemed to be a bit more rowdy and always competing for attention - jumping, biting, fighting, etc. and because they weren’t handled as much, they were also more inclined to fuss and fight to get away.

this all happened in a relatively short period of time and we all experienced at least some level of embarrassment when I pointed it out. I’ll even admit to giving the fluffy and pudgy little pup a bit more encouragement when climbing over an obstacle versus going into a more observation / evaluation mode with the lab to see how confident or resilient they were.

so anyway, just a bit of anecdotal information.

I certainly have heard the sentiment that long coats are softer, and I’ve had a soft, sensitive and gentle natured LHGSD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I followed this quite closely as it happened about three hours away from me. Couldn’t believe someone was able to get the dog out of the house to begin with, good luck getting into my house. I guess some German shepherds don’t have that protective instincts. I was just glad they were able to find the dog and get him home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is shocking. Thank goodness for CCTV footage. I’m very happy that woman was caught and exposed. Although the story is almost 6 years old, I appreciate the reminder that dog theft can and still occur.
Also, interesting observations here about temperaments in stock coat vs long haired GSDs!
I’ve had 3 stock coat, black & tan females and all had protective tendencies. My current girl is a black & red LHGSD (my 1st long hair) — and I concur that she doesn’t present any protective behaviours. Not even sitting in front of me (on or close to my feet) when I’m standing — sorry folks, having a brain blip here 🙃 — is that called “guarding”? Instead, Holly is just very chill and easygoing.
Holly was raised with her stock coat sister /litter mate (who passed a few years ago from cancer). Her sister was unquestionably the Alpha Dog, and, in turn, Holly was the beta. So I just assumed that her “soft” affect was due to the relationship with her sister.
However, since her sister’s death, I’ve learned more about LHGSDs and have also heard from veterinary professionals that their overall experience with LHGSDs are the same in terms of temperament.
And, as posted above by Fodder, Holly attracts a lot of positive attention from young and old alike, who see her as a large, cute “fuzzball” and just want to pet her.
I enjoy the insights shared here and am glad my Holly is both chipped and tattooed. Wishing health and wellness to all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can see that happening. My 4 previous GSD (all female) you'd take your life in your hands to enter the house uninvited). Or at least the racket they'd make would make you think that.

But my older current male loves everybody and would not only let you in, but unlock the door and show you where the valuables were lol. My young male (almost 6 months) already shows the more traditional barking at the door/strange movement outside and aloofness to strangers. He'll be another proper guard dog which is good as we live on a large out of sight lot on the edge of town

·
Registered
178 Posts
GSDs are all individuals, just like people. Coat length has nothing to do with temperament. There are many, probably the majority of GSDs that would not have the temperament to prevent a stranger from taking them and shaving them.
just my personal opinion but if a gsd lets that happen it’s not a real gsd. I think a pure bred gsd should be capable of protecting itself and also its family. Id never want a gsd that passive, that’s a golden retriever or a poodle. I can see howthey would be good for an old person or something as a companion but gsd in the standard should be confident killers

also my dog is long haired and absolutely psycho. Would attack ppl if I let him.Certainly no softness in him except when it’s snuggle time lol

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Being “pure bred” has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of a dog. How or why do you think your dog would bite a person for real. This belief is a major misperception. What is your dog’s pedigree?

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
just my personal opinion but if a gsd lets that happen it’s not a real gsd. I think a pure bred gsd should be capable of protecting itself and also its family. Id never want a gsd that passive, that’s a golden retriever or a poodle. I can see howthey would be good for an old person or something as a companion but gsd in the standard should be confident killers

also my dog is long haired and absolutely psycho. Would attack ppl if I let him.Certainly no softness in him except when it’s snuggle time lol
Just to be clear, confident killers/psycho/attack ppl are not any better breed traits then being to passive. A well bred GSD should be calm, confident and aloof. Aloof does not mean unfriendly it means they don't go out of their way to solicit attention from strangers.
Sabi loved making new friends, and only protected the house if her humans were in it. She alerted to trespassers but would not have bitten someone who posed no threat. She WORKED for a living. Actual patrol work. Building searches, arresting various unsavory humans, crowd control. My safety was directly dependant on her being very good at what she did. And she was, for 9 long years. She was stolen at one point, by someone she knew but stolen none the less. I also at various times sent my staff into my house to retrieve her or some other needed item if I was double shifting. She swung easily between playing with the kids, patrol work, sleeping under my desk in the office or whatever else I needed. A GSD should easily be all that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.