German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JD at 15 weeks is already getting his permanent teeth. He's gone through a really big growth spirt these past 3 weeks.

The lady at the pet store, kind of was disagreeing with me when I was looking for more chew toys that massage his gums. I was like...I know it's usually closer to six months...but I'm not kidding.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My pup was born April 18th and at vet check on Tuesday he had doubled his weight in 4 weeks and was missing his 2 front teeth - permanent ones can be felt but are not through yet. He also has some of his adult hair - started down the middle of his back and is replacing his oh so soft baby fuzz. New coat is beautiful - slightly curly and shiny and as much as I enjoy him as a pup it will be great to see him as an adult. FYI.
Donna

·
Registered
157 Posts
BTW...one of Deuce's favourite chew toys is Ice. He loves crunching on it - I put a few cubes in his water and while a bit messy, he loves it

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
if I remember right it is about 4 months...so 16 weeks when adult teeth start to come in. So looks like your dog is on track.

I thought that this process was usually done by 6 months, not just starting.
mmm..how did I forget this so fast..just yesterday it seems we had a little pup in the house
..maybe I forgot because I wanted those memories of baby razor sharp teeth to go away

ok, just looked at puppy pictures of Kelso and his adult teeth looked to be all in at 6 months

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
From an Ask the Vet website:

Quote:Dogs have 28 deciduous (temporary) teeth and 42 permanent teeth. Puppies have no teeth at birth, and grow deciduous teeth beginning their second week of life. At three months of age, the deciduous teeth begin to be replaced by the permanent teeth. The replacement process begins with the incisors, and moves backwards through the canines, premolars and finally the molars. The turnover process is usually complete by the time the dog is eight months old, with none of the original 28 deciduous teeth remaining. Most deciduous teeth are swallowed with food and never seen by the pet owner. Occassionally a deciduous tooth is merely pushed to the side and retained next to the permanent tooth. Retained deciduous teeth can be removed by a veterinarian.

The incisors turn over from deciduous to permanent from two to four months of age. The canines usually convert around six months of age. The premolars and molars follow in that order, with the last permanent molar erupting around eight months of age.

The exact schedule does vary from breed to breed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. People who are dog lovers have also stopped by my house, and are trying to tell me he shouldn't be getting in his permanent teeth yet. Cause of course I was planning on pulling them out if they were coming in too early

Yesterday, he kept on closing his eyes like he was going to fall asleep when was chewing on his booda bone. As everyone says, they grow up real fast! I still remember when he was 15 pounds and I could pick him up with ease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts