German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around here you see alot of saddle back German Shepherds. People who don't know shepherd colors have asked me If Josie a "rare" shepherd or if she is a mal. I would explain that there are other colors besides saddle backs. I can see why people would think Josie is a rare kind because you don't see sables in my area at all. I live in a small town.

I go up further into the city for Josie's training and when i'm out in public people who know German Shepherds already know what breeder she came from because again not a whole lot of sables.

I thought it was pretty cool how alot of people up towards the city area know who the breeder was automatically when they saw Josie even the GSD folks.

How common are saddle backs in your area vs sables?.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
The standard black/tan saddle backs are the most common "pet" GSD in my area (central Indiana), followed by blanket backs. My sable and bi-color are *usually* recognized as GSD's, but we do get the occasional "what kind of dog is that" or "I can see he's part shepherd, but what else is he mixed with" questions.

But, with that said, my standard saddle back (avatar pic) has elicited several "what kind of dog is that" questions as well over the years....

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
If I'm anything like the average person, I didn't even know about different lines of GSDs and different colours a few years ago - I knew that they came in long coat variety, and that there were all black and all white GSDs in addition to the saddle back. The first time I saw a sable and a bi-colour, I did not ever recognize them to be GSDs.

A lot of people recognize my sable to be a "police dog" GSD, but even more still don't know what he is.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
The only sables I've seen are at training. In my neighborhood I know there are about 4 saddle backs and one white.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I never knew about sables when I got my first GSD (a saddleback :) ). But I've 'seen the light' and they are my favorite color now! Love it cause there are so many different 'sables'.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
So common around here that when I had Luther, almost everyone thought he was a rottie mix (he was bi-colored, had the dots like a rottie or a doberman)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
To me, the black and tan saddle back is the most recognized one. Sables are the strongest gene and while I did have a sable, maybe a black and silver looking back now, to me, the rin tin tin is what I think of when I think GSD.

Zeva is, as of right now, a blanket back. She's more black than my hubs and I usually prefer, but she has nice markings and her face is lightening up around the ears. She's also black and red, I believe. Or other was a red and black, mostly red, Zeva is opposite, and too deep in color to be tan. Her mother was also a black and red and dad was a black and tan. Not sure if they were blankets or saddles. I can't find the ladies number that I got her off of. I wrote it down wrong, silly me. I know.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I rarely seen any German Shepherds saddle back or not in my area except when I go to training classes (my agility trainer has Shepherds.)
People always ask me what breed Bianca is or what she is mixed with. A lot of people don't recognize her as being a German Shepherd even though she is black/red saddle back!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
So I'm new to GSD what is Sable
Sables come in a variety of different shades, some almost appear black and some are almost tan colored. They frequently change color shades several times from birth to adulthood. Here is my 8 month old sable somehwat close up so you can see the color pattern. Whoever used the term "marbled," that's a pretty good description IMHO.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
I had a guy tell me that he had "one of those rare shepherds and paid alot of money for him because he was a sable"

Poor guy. but then again his wife purposely sent my girl into a frenzy to see what would happen if she stared her down because she had been bitten the week before...so maybe not. :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I had a guy tell me that he had "one of those rare shepherds and paid alot of money for him because he was a sable"

Poor guy. but then again his wife purposely sent my girl into a frenzy to see what would happen if she stared her down because she had been bitten the week before...so maybe not. :)

When I make and hold eye contact w/ Zeva, she'll look away and avoid it after a short time. Guess it really depends on the dog and the situation. And who's doing the staring down...

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
well...you are her owner. Not a stranger acting odd and threatening. I don't understand your point??

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There really wasn't that much of a point. I know there are some ppl that say never to stare a dog down. It's just odd that someone would chose a dog they don't know to stare down. I'm sure you dog could sense something strange from her... like maybe she had some fear mixed in w/ it. Some ppl are just odd and almost asking for trouble.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
It was a really weird situation. Jax was only a few months old (I think about 6mths) so it's not like it was a full grown shepherd and they owned a shepherd so I doubt she was scared given her behavior afterwards.

She came up behind the vehicle while the husband was talking to me. Was perfectly still, not even a twitch, and purposely stared her down. I was furious when she told me she had done it on purpose "just to see what would happen because she had been bitten the week before". So you practice on my puppy???

Then she tried to make friends with Jax. I think Jax was young enough and going thru a fear stage already. But then I had to fix it because she thought all ppl were a threat. If I could have found that woman after I realized she had created a problem with other ppl....:mad:

I taught Jax to "watch me" so she will look me in the eye after she got over the instinct to be intimidated by that.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
some ppl are just buttholes... So far Zeva does not appear to be scared of anyone, but I also know, having an abused rescue, that can change fast. My sable GSD Sadie would try to crawl up her own butt if she heard yelling or if you came at her too fast. :( Poor girl!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts