German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is GSD instead of GS? The Labrador is not LD, the Chihuahua is not CD. So why/how did the German Shepherd become the German Shepherd Dog???

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Because back in the foundation days, there were many people in Germany still making a living at raising sheep. So German Shepherds were in existence and common. So Dog was added to the breed name to differentiate between human german shepherds and canine german shepherds.

(Okay, I just made that up! :p )

·
Registered
818 Posts
Because back in the foundation days, there were many people in Germany still making a living at raising sheep. So German Shepherds were in existence and common. So Dog was added to the breed name to differentiate between human german shepherds and canine german shepherds.

Made up or not it sounds pretty legit. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm buying it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
From Wiki : "The breed was named Deutscher Schäferhund by Von Stephanitz, literally translating to "German Shepherd Dog". The breed was so named due to its original purpose of assisting shepherds in herding and protecting sheep."

Link: German Shepherd Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The direct translation of the name was adopted for use in the official breed registry..."

So I am guessing they just never dropped "dog".

Although CastleMaid's answer is better :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is German Shepherd Dog (GSD), and not German Shepherd because it is the literal translation of the breed: Deutscher Schäferhund.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts