German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come we can't have as many as we want all at once?

Mace's breeder sent an email about the other pup that we were looking at and seems that nobody else wants him. They are willing to give him to us for less since he is the last. They just HAD to fill in how he looks like a good potential for Schutzdienst. They know that is what we wanted.
Why oh why! We can't have 3 pups in the house. Just no way! We aren't staying in Germany past these next 2 years. And to try and transport 2 big dogs is going to be hard enough. None of my friends are looking for a pup. It would have been cool to have a friend have a sibling and watch them grow up. Ah but he is so cute!!! But NO! I will not clean up after 3 puppies! Somebody shoot my heart out. I know I can't but I so want him.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Danielle... you have two puppies already!?!?! Why would you even want another one???

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mace comes home Saturday... so I just have one right now.

And why would I want another? Cause they are cute and fluffy and do you know anyone who can resist puppy breath?

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
That is what I am thinking. I have a hard time just devoting enough time to Rocky with everything else going on. There is no way I could do 2 puppies at once.

·
Registered
163 Posts
LOL... we got 2 puppies a couple of weeks ago now.

They are beautiful, wonderful, smart and awesome. BUT! I've seriously thought about how wise that decision was at least a dozen times since then. It's difficult, very difficult, to raise two. I couldn't imagine having a 3rd!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have a two year old and a puppy right now. PLENTY enough to do with both of them. I could NEVER in million years imagine having two of the puppies that I have now together as puppies...

I can resist puppy breath when I think of the responsibility that goes along with it... the puppy breath only lasts for so long.. and then you have two of them eating your couch...

I have also heard when you get two puppies at the same time, they tend to bond with each other rather than with the human... obviously you wanna devote time for both...
Good for you if you can do it with two, or three... I know I never could.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
With three you would have a pack unto themselves. With two you will have to separate them most of the time in order to get them bonded to you (as someone pointed out above) and in order to train them and ensure they accept you as pack leader. I would think it's almost impossible with three to give them each the time they need to develop and train, both physically and mentally.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
think this way
two puppies or three? well for one, puppies dont stay puppies, and then you would have 3 huge dogs to transport on a plane, thats alot of work, money and time. they stay pups for about a second and then 3 pups all at once eating furniture, shoes, digging holes, etc etc ALL AT ONCE.
then look at them all, hug them close and try to blind yourself and heart to it all. dont forget they stay pups for 3 yrs at least most do. i know with bearla being 2 1/2 and with us full time then i have her sister who is under a yr for visits and that is chaos unto itself, so 3 at once? unless you have unlimited strengh, resources and Czar mallone living with you. think about it, and then think again. that is also 3 times the vet bills. have i talked you out of it yet

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
As a single person with 3 dogs I find myself leaving one home at times when I go out. I only have 2 arms. LOL! Usually, it's Balto who is left home as he's still a little hellion.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had three puppies at the same time - two were the same age, one was six months younger. It wasn't too bad having the three of them UNTIL they hit their senior years!!!

Now I have three elderly dogs (two are 12 years 10 months old and one is 12 years 3 months old). There are thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in vet bills. There's the heart wrenching problems, watching these three much loved animals developing major health issues, getting weaker despite medical treatment, knowing that it's only a matter of time before each one departs for the Bridge.

I love these three dogs with all my heart, but if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. And I don't recommend others go thru this heartache either.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol I'll make sure I don't sneak him into the trunk of my car when we go pick up Mace on Saturday.

·
Registered
31,873 Posts
I am worried about senior years. Dubya will be four in June. Babs and Jenna will be three in August. Rushie turned two in January. Heidi, Whitney, and Tori will be two in August.

I am dying for a puppy.

I guess that makes me certifiable.

Arwen will be seven in June, and I swear sometimes the jealousy, etc., she is worse than the youngsters.

Having Babsy and Jenna together was awesome. I loved the two of them, taking them places, training them, etc. When they were eight months old I added Rushie with no major repercussions. It was more difficult trying to get everyone out. Around about that time I realized that socialization with the girls should be 1 on 1 time.

When I had the next litter, and when my final count was finally decided, when Rushie was nearly a year, that was the tough time. My eighteen month olds still needed a lot of work getting them ready for titles. Rushie was easy, but still work. I realized at some point in there that three more bitches meant three more kennels.

Two out of three of the babies are doing really good. Tori is just a pain. She does not play well with others (not that she has to, but she actually bears her teeth at them.) She is not yet a candidate for CGC as the last time I left her with a friend she tried to rip the woman's arm out of her socket to get to me. Hmmmmm. She goes into heat every time I sign her up for classes, on the day and hour of the first class. Her redeeming qualities are loyalty and loveyness to me, and I expect that without tons of classes, socialization and work, protective of me will soon follow.

Three puppies are a trip, but certainly something you can do. It is important to examine what your expectations are though. If walking down the street with three dogs is one of them, you have to realize that that may never materialize. If having your pack lounge about your living room in the evening is your ideal, you may find that one or two of your furry friends may need to be crated. Maybe not, it really depends on everyone's personality and your leadership skills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts