German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather getting cold I was wondering what is too cold for the dogs. Living in the south it does not get really cold but can get down in the teens sometimes.I am not a cold weather person but have started to buy warmer clothing so I can take be out with them.
Do I need to buy any kind of winter gear for them? This is our first Winter together and I want to make it fun and safe for all.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
No, you are fine in here in Alabama....we only have very few days where it's that cold and it never lasts more then a few hours...

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I live in Canada. My dogs are fine down to -30 Celsius. Then they start the "three footed dance" because their paws are getting cold. Booties would help, but just keeping moving and active also helps.

Other than that, they LOVE being out in sub-zero weather and dig in the snow and just be nutso.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I live in Canada. My dogs are fine down to -30 Celsius. Then they start the "three footed dance" because their paws are getting cold. Booties would help, but just keeping moving and active also helps.

Other than that, they LOVE being out in sub-zero weather and dig in the snow and just be nutso.
OMG...the three footed dance. :rofl: How well put!

Ditto on lovin' the sub-zero weather here. For us, it produces a whole new level of zoomies. Add snow and it's zoomies with snow chopping at the same time!

To the OP, your dog should have no problems with the cooler weather. You might see an increase in energy as it gets cooler.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I WISH we would get snow for Jake here........I am from NJ and always loved the snow. Here in the south we get "frost"...LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Castlemaid some snow would be nice this year. Send some my way.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I WISH we would get snow for Jake here........I am from NJ and always loved the snow. Here in the south we get "frost"...LOL
Then you must really be bumming from missing all that snow that got dumped on NJ last year.

Heck, Northern NJ got more than than I did in upstate NY last winter.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It is currently hovering about 0F here right now, -18F with the wind chill, there's more than a foot of snow on the ground and more coming as we speak - my two are tearing about the backyard and having a ball. They probably spend most of the day outside! Me, not so much!! :brrrwinter: Last year, Kokoda would sleep out on the deck at -40, and every time I opened the door for her to come in, she just got grumpy that I woke her up.

I actually have a serious case of the snow zoomies happening in my backyard right now - they've had me in stitches!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It is currently hovering about 0F here right now, -18F with the wind chill, there's more than a foot of snow on the ground and more coming as we speak - my two are tearing about the backyard and having a ball. They probably spend most of the day outside! Me, not so much!! :brrrwinter: Last year, Kokoda would sleep out on the deck at -40, and every time I opened the door for her to come in, she just got grumpy that I woke her up.

I actually have a serious case of the snow zoomies happening in my backyard right now - they've had me in stitches!
JEALOUS:cry:

·
Registered
332 Posts

Pictures of the snow zoomies please....:gsdbeggin:

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Heck, Northern NJ got more than than I did in upstate NY last winter.
And, hopefully, that will be the case again this year. We can just skip winter and go straight to spring, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah they should be fine. We get colder than that here in Chicago, and Bianca loves to go out in the yard and lay in the snow (for hours if I'd let her!)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine used to have icicles hanging off her tummy even when she could stay inside....

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:rofl::brrrwinter:Thank god you don't live in Northern Ontario Canada it will be -11*Celsius tonight and probably go as low as -40* in January and we don't dress our GSD

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Last year we had a super cold winter for Central Florida ... going down into the mid-teens night after night. The Hooligans, who are house pets, didn't seem to mind, but then again, I didn't have any seniors who I would worry about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts