German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I guess other than the litter of puppies and the fact that they're dumping their dog, I don't see an issue...

:confused:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
She's dirty, yes. And that is sad, but I didn't think it was sad enough to freak out about. Most dogs are kept outside and dirty.

She doesn't look underweight to me though. I don't see ribs or hip bones. She has a slight dip in her hips from above which is desired... She does look like a poorly bred dog, but I guess I don't see the cruelty issue.

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
She doesn't look skinny to me. Would I keep my dog in that condition? No. But I've see far worse.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Asking 50 bucks for a poorly bred unhealthy looking dog is simply wrong and outrageous! That dog should be GIVEN to a forever home.....it's sickening and cruel. The time it took to take pics to set up a site to sell this dog the owner could spend that time caring for the dog and looking a rescue to take her. DISGUSTING!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like she's got eye issues, ear issues, her coat is filthy and in terrible condition, and she looks like she's had the crap bred out of her at only 2 yrs old.

I guess just different standards of dog keeping DJ! Personally I wouldn't consider that acceptable, if that's how you keep your dog then by all means you are entitled to your opinion as well.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She doesn't look skinny to me. Would I keep my dog in that condition? No. But I've see far worse.
I didn't post anything about her weight, and I've seen worse as well but that doesn't make it ok to take minimal care of ones dog. There is more to keeping a dog in good condition than just feeding it. Is is legal - yes, it is right - NO.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Most dogs are kept outside and dirty.
Really? I don't know any "outside dogs". Most of the dogs you know are kept outside and are dirty or did you just word that wrong?

I'll agree that the dog doesn't look skinny in a cruelty way, but she does look pretty dirty and poorly bred. For such a young pup, she looks pretty old and run down.

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
I didn't post anything about her weight, and I've seen worse as well but that doesn't make it ok to take minimal care of ones dog. There is more to keeping a dog in good condition than just feeding it. Is is legal - yes, it is right - NO.
I didn't say it was right or ok to take minimal care of your dog regardless of legality. I plainly stated that I would not keep my dog in that condition. No kidding that there is more to caring for ones dog than just feeding it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Looks like she's got eye issues, ear issues, her coat is filthy and in terrible condition, and she looks like she's had the crap bred out of her at only 2 yrs old.
Why would you say that?

I guess just different standards of dog keeping DJ! Personally I wouldn't consider that acceptable, if that's how you keep your dog then by all means you are entitled to your opinion as well.
I don't think she was saying that she would keep her dog like this but it doesn't look like a cruelty or neglect issue to me either. It looks like she may have fleas (scratching picture and hairless spots on her back legs) but she doesn't look too thin to me, especially after just having a litter. I get the impression it's ignorant people who bred their dog and are probably "getting rid of" her to keep a puppy. The dog doesn't look like a quality GSD but breeding poor quality dogs isn't a crime. I agree it's a sad situation and hopefully the dog will find a nice owner.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why would you say that?

I don't think she was saying that she would keep her dog like this but it doesn't look like a cruelty or neglect issue to me either. I get the impression it's ignorant people who bred their dog and are probably "getting rid of" her to keep a puppy. The dog doesn't look like a quality GSD but breeding poor quality dogs isn't a crime. I agree it's a sad situation and hopefully the dog will find a nice owner.
Why would I say which part? Her eyes look like there's something going on with them, her ear has some kind of wound or skin issue going on, her coat is filthy and dull, and for a 2 yr old breeding dog she looks like she's had two litters a year for the past decade.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Looks like the litter they bred didn't make the amount of money that they expected, so now they're dumping momma, too. Poor girl looks like she just got done weaning the pups. I expect she spends all her time in the yard, too.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

All I see is a dirty coat. I see no eye or ear issues, and I only see one litter so I can't testify to the crap being bred out of her.

I certainly don't keep my dog this way, but I see dogs like this all the time so it doesn't surprise me I guess. Yes, it is sad, but it's sad that this is the worst you've seen, too.

Really? I don't know any "outside dogs". Most of the dogs you know are kept outside and are dirty or did you just word that wrong?
I guess it could be the different areas. Yes, most dogs I know/see are kept outside 3/4 of the time if not all the time. Most dogs you see around here are chained up or fenced in and kept there year 'round. It's sad, but the way of life around here, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Why would I say which part? Her eyes look like there's something going on with them, her ear has some kind of wound or skin issue going on, her coat is filthy and dull, and for a 2 yr old breeding dog she looks like she's had two litters a year for the past decade.
Not trying to be argumentative, but how can you tell how many litters a dog has had just by looking at a few pictures.

I am with DJ. I don't see anything APPALLING in her physical condition. You can't see bones in these photos. Her coat does look a little rough, but I have seen worse bald spots on a very well cared for female in my club that has severe allergies. I maybe completely ignorant, but I thought that females have their coats thin when they whelp.

What I do have big issues with is the fact that she is listed for sale by a "breeder". Does that mean that someone bred her on purpose? THAT I would have a problem with.

·
Registered
394 Posts
getting back to the subject...$50.00 for a dog on Ebay??? Obviously they don't care what happens to her which really worries me. I wish a rescue group would take her. God only knows where she'll end up.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't see anything majorly wrong with the dog. She looks like a poorly bred dog with poor conformation, not in the best condition (muscle-wise I mean, I don't see eye and ear issues popping out at me). I don't even see a poor or dirty coat, especially if she's just had a litter. Often the females will have poor coats and be on the thin side.

I do have a problem with someone breeding a dog of this quality and then selling the dog on eBay.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I guess it could be the different areas. Yes, most dogs I know/see are kept outside 3/4 of the time if not all the time. Most dogs you see around here are chained up or fenced in and kept there year 'round. It's sad, but the way of life around here, unfortunately.
Wow... really? I get that some people keep their dogs outside and don't really take care of them, but didn't know it's considered the norm in certain areas in this country. News to me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts