German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 4 months old. I have a couple of different problems. The first is jumping up on us and everything. We are working on "down" but he is usually so excited that I think thats a lot of the problem.

Now the 2nd problem. He eats poo............I find him with his head in the cat box getting tootsie rolls. I did purchase a covered cat pan but right now his head is still small enough to get through the hole. He also goes out in the yard and eats my other 2 dogs poo also. I caught him following my siberian husky around the other evening just waiting for his "treat". This behavior just makes me cringe..

Any suggestions?

Casey's mom

·
Registered
537 Posts
Diligent poop-scooping! That helped w/ our Bella (who also loves the cat box). I have also heard charcoal treats work (Mother Hubbard sells asssorted and there are charcoal treats in them), but the fast scooping can't be beat! No luck w/ nasty habit w/ Bella (which must be given to every dog in the household because the main ingredient is cayenne pepper).

·
Registered
392 Posts
there is some additive you can add to food I think that makes them not want to eat the poo. ask your vet; my mom had the same problem and fixed it this way after asking her vet.

when Riley jumps, I did one of two things. first we did the knee thing. the minute she jumped, up went my knee and blocked her jump. the other thing is to quickly turn your back to the dog when they jump.

the knee thing worked much better. in our case, when we turned our back, she would just jump on our back!

now she only jumps when she's very excited with other people. I hold her leash close and low so she can't jump while and asking the person to be patient until she calms enough then they can greet her.

she doesn't jump on me 90%, and then only when she's really excited.

·
Registered
187 Posts
my Raven eats anything and everything...it is like living with a toddler (I guess she is..lol), if it is laying there on the ground she will put it in her mouth I go around the house all day saying "leave it","leave it", "drop it","drop it" 'whats in your mouth now"....lolol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can I stop this behavior

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been telling myself that Casey is now into his terrible Two's. I will definitely try the knee, but sometimes he is so fast you don't see it coming. I will also be calling my vet to see if there is something I can put into everyones food, cat included.........

Again thanks!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
On the jumpin,g use the word 'off' rather than 'down'. Down is a command to lay down. Turn your back and ignore him and give him attention when he gives you behavior you want, ie sitting or standing quietly.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
On the jumpin,g use the word 'off' rather than 'down'. Down is a command to lay down. Turn your back and ignore him and give him attention when he gives you behavior you want, ie sitting or standing quietly.
I was going to say the same thing. Don't confuse the dog with "down", when you mean "off". It may take you retraining yourself, but only use "down" for the lay down command. You can use "off" for just about anything you don't want them "on."

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
This is REALLY IMPORTANT!!! The command you want is 'OFF' not 'down'. 'Down' should mean a belly on the floor command when instead you want his four feet on the floor (not 2 on you!).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
And... cat poop is like caviar to a pup. Figure out a way that the cat can get to his box, but the puppy can't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts