German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys my dog is 5 and half month old, he's really strong and healthy, but now i want to start train to be full of power, i wanna do sports with him like running or whatever than grow muscles for him or get his jaws stronger because he will be a protective dog and may put him in K9 training.
so what exercises should i do? if i run with him, how long? i really want to have exercises to do with him.
plus i know that he's still young but i believe early body training is just as important as early mentality training.
thanks for you help :)

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
I would not recommend running until he is atleast a year old, and preferably 18 months old. If you want to get him some exercise i would recommend walking at this age. He is still just a baby, and the pounding on his joints while they are still growing could damage him and shorten his useful life. His mental training is very important at this age, also.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I suggest finding a place to swim with him, if at all possible. That's what I'm doing with my puppy. Low/no impact, works muscles and is good cardio.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
By all means, take him out jogging, but be sure to pace him as he probably won't do it himself. If he has trouble keeping up, you are either going too fast or too far. Do not push him. If he is over angulated or not structurally sound, do not run him as it will be too hard on him. My dog was jogging 3 miles a day by 6 months of age, but he had been building up to that distance for some time.

Swimming is always great if you have that available and he likes water.

If you want to get him into dog sports, you should be getting him into a club now as most of them want to begin training at a very young age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts