German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I was aware that German Shepherds shed a lot but I had no idea it was this much!

I brush Miro's hair every day and it's still not helping. Any advice on how to minimize/manage the shedding and spreading of hair all over the place?

Thanks a ton! :)

Maria

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
What kind of brush are you using? Some seem to work better than others. Right now a lot of the GSDs are blowing their coat right now, so there will be extra shedding.

Do you have an undercoat/ shedding rake?

Or a shedding blade?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have that first brush and it sucks. So I went and bought a Furminator on Ebay and it is amazing!

·
2,967 Posts
I take my dogs to the groomer when they blow coat, because nothing works like a forced air dryer :)

However in between I strongly prefer the undercoat rake over the furminator. In my experience using the furminator too much breaks the coat. I'll run through with an undercoat rake, then a pin brush and maybe a slicker at the end. I have also been known to vacuum the dogs.

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
Jax hates the furminator or slickers. Jax tolerates the rake. She does seem to like the zoom groom. I think the furminator is pulling and breaking her hair rather than combing the loose out.

Furminator works great on the boxers though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I took my dog to the vet and they brushed her twice and bathed her. I took her home and clouds of hair was falling out....I brushed her twice more the same day and it looked like she had never been groomed. she can run through the house and big balls of fur roll all over the floor. i sweep and swiffer every day and brush her. It is like currying a horse in the spring. I hope it slows down soon.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have an air force blower, can't live without it,,it's definately worth every penny:))

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I have that first brush and it sucks. So I went and bought a Furminator on Ebay and it is amazing!
I've never used the Furminator, but with a rake, it's important to get one with 2 rows of teeth. I have a single and it's worthless.
Using the shedding blade followed by the undercoat rake and then the slicker brush is the only way to make any decent headway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2Fimages%2FB0002DIRYG%2Fref%3Ddp_image_text_z_0%3Fie%3DUTF8%26n%3D284507%26s%3Dkitchen&tag=5336432754-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think we have found a solution for this.....

I bathe Timber first, dragging my fingers through him well and pulling the dead hair off. Then I let him air dry.
Outside we go and I brush, and brush, and brush getting everything as loose as possible.

Then, out comes the shopvac! I hold Timber and my husband turns the hose around so it blows, not sucks. It blows all that loose hair off. Beware, hair flys everywhere! But when we are finished, he is good to go. Minimal shedding afterwards for a good while!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I take my dogs to the groomer when they blow coat, because nothing works like a forced air dryer :)

However in between I strongly prefer the undercoat rake over the furminator. In my experience using the furminator too much breaks the coat. I'll run through with an undercoat rake, then a pin brush and maybe a slicker at the end. I have also been known to vacuum the dogs.
Ditto and ditto. When it's really bad I use the self-serve dog washes at the pet store, they have a professional high velocity air dryer.

I've seen a dog over-Furminated and it makes the coat look horrible. The Furminator works no different than any shedding or dematting blade. It's a blade so it not used correctly or if over used, it rips and breaks the top coat.

All I use on my GSDs is the rake. $7 at Target and I've never needed anything else.

Also I think diet plays a HUGE role in coat condition. To be honest I rarely brush my dogs. Maybe 3 times a year if they are really blowing, and a once-over before a show or trial but that's really it. I spend more on a high quality food, so the coat is naturally healthy, strong, and shiny.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't brush my girls but a couple of times a year if they are really blowing literal wads of fur.

They eat good grain free food, have great coats, and I have all ceramic tile floors, all leather furniture, and a good vacuum cleaner. I also don't wear many clothes that attract and hold dog hair, that's how I manage.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I take Echo to visit a friend of mine who has a forced air blower -- we groom outside and when the fur flies like a snowstorm, all the birds in the area love it: they swoop down and grab bundles of fur to line their nests with. Echo never looks better than after one of those afternoons! At home I use a pin brush and a slicker. Sometimes I use the furminator where her coat is really thick and wooly (back of her legs, under her tail, throat), but I find that it tends to break the coat on her sides & back.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Also I think diet plays a HUGE role in coat condition.
Definitely. Miro, what do you feed? You can also add fish oil for coat and skin.

How much do the forced air dryers cost? I would love to have one.

I like the furminator if I need to get a lot of dead hair out fast, like a quick brushing with it before going to a store to prevent shedding there. But otherwise I use a slicker and rubber curry to get the loose hair out. I use a pin brush and undercoat rake though on my LC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts