German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my showline girl a few days ago with her papers. I haven’t had a chance to weigh her yet, but she seems to be significantly smaller than her brother. She just turned 8 weeks yesterday, born January 20. But she looks like maybe she was the runt of the litter? Anybody have any comparison pictures of their little one as a puppy vs now? And if she will possibly get thicker boned like her parents later? I’m new at all of this I’m so sorry for all the questions lol. Her fur also seems a lot shorter and thinner and she’s much more slender than her parents and siblings. I’m curious also because I had a mix a few years ago and was a runt as well and ended up looking completely different than both the parents. Any pictures of adult outcomes that you think she may look like would GREAT so I could have an idea. I will post a picture of her parents, one with more floppy ears is dad, other is mom. I will also be posting two pictures of her and her brother next to other. She is on the right. The rest attached is her.

Also on a separate note, she has been sleeping significantly a lot. I don’t know what the normal range for a GSD to sleep, but she rarely even runs around the room, she will just walk around and play laying down, then takes a nap after 20 minutes. She eats and drinks fine, poop is normal. Just concerned as to why she’s sleeping so much, if that is even something to be concerned about lol. This is my first purebred GSD.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, congratulations!
We just got our wgsl girl as well! She is 8.5 weeks now.
I’m not an expert, but they grow up so fast with every day! Even if you think she looks smaller, I am pretty sure she will catch up very quickly, my puppy changes every day literally.
Do you know her weight?
For example, Here is my Misha at 6.5, 7.5 and 8.5 weeks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dad looks awfully young in that picture. Do you know his age?

Has your vet seen your pup? If not, I would advise you to have her checked out.

It can be a big adjustment to take a puppy away from the only home it has ever known and every puppy can react differently. But I would be concerned about the lethargy. Best to have a vet check her out and maybe catch a problem early, if there is one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just picked up my showline girl a few days ago with her papers. I haven’t had a chance to weigh her yet, but she seems to be significantly smaller than her brother. She just turned 8 weeks yesterday, born January 20. But she looks like maybe she was the runt of the litter? Anybody have any comparison pictures of their little one as a puppy vs now? And if she will possibly get thicker boned like her parents later? I’m new at all of this I’m so sorry for all the questions lol. Her fur also seems a lot shorter and thinner and she’s much more slender than her parents and siblings. I’m curious also because I had a mix a few years ago and was a runt as well and ended up looking completely different than both the parents. Any pictures of adult outcomes that you think she may look like would GREAT so I could have an idea. I will post a picture of her parents, one with more floppy ears is dad, other is mom. I will also be posting two pictures of her and her brother next to other. She is on the right. The rest attached is her.

Also on a separate note, she has been sleeping significantly a lot. I don’t know what the normal range for a GSD to sleep, but she rarely even runs around the room, she will just walk around and play laying down, then takes a nap after 20 minutes. She eats and drinks fine, poop is normal. Just concerned as to why she’s sleeping so much, if that is even something to be concerned about lol. This is my first purebred GSD. View attachment 570835 View attachment 570836 View attachment 570837 View attachment 570838 View attachment 570839 View attachment 570840 View attachment 570841
Stella was really small when I got her but grew like CRAZY. Below is her at 8 weeks and now 15 weeks. Congrats on the new pup she looks beautiful
BFFAAD2B-C564-4A5C-9037-0C9664B9CB92.jpeg
2CCB2FB5-B024-4FD5-A98D-E517E6FB28C9.jpeg

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
8 weeks is kinda early to forecast size for me, especially considering they just left the rest of the litter. Bear was 22lbs at 12 weeks when I got him and is 82lbs now at almost 3. Cion was 22lbs at 8 weeks when I got him and is 104 now at 1 year.
41A4ECC2-393A-48E6-8A36-74779640F9F9.jpeg
0E4E534F-676B-4BB5-87FF-AC37873C9026.jpeg
77DBF966-9F35-4FA5-BE1F-5C541AED405E.jpeg
D42AF0CD-499D-4A22-BB3F-6DA3696B2F3B.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dad looks awfully young in that picture. Do you know his age?

Has your vet seen your pup? If not, I would advise you to have her checked out.

It can be a big adjustment to take a puppy away from the only home it has ever known and every puppy can react differently. But I would be concerned about the lethargy. Best to have a vet check her out and maybe catch a problem early, if there is one.
He is two years. She is currently bouncing all over with her chew toy lol. I would say she’s awake about 3-4 hours a day. Yes we do have an appointment with the vet as well.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
He is two years. She is currently bouncing all over with her chew toy lol. I would say she’s awake about 3-4 hours a day. Yes we do have an appointment with the vet as well.
Do you have a more current picture of dad. Did you see him? That is absolutely a puppy, I’d say less than 6 months. He still has open growth plates.

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
pup does not look significantly smaller than her brother in those photos. looks like the expected size difference between a male and female.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a more current picture of dad. Did you see him? That is absolutely a puppy, I’d say less than 6 months. He still has open growth plates.
Actually That could have very possibly been an old picture, I just found it on the akc website lol when I got home. I did see him and her mom when I went to pick her up, they were very big and beautiful. My guess is you’re right it could very possibly be an older picture of him, as his record shows he is 2 years

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pup does not look significantly smaller than her brother in those photos. looks like the expected size difference between a male and female.
Thank you :) I weighed her today and she weighs about 11-12 pounds. I did notice that the side of her her ribs are showing a little bit, I am concerned that they did not properly care for the puppies prior or at least made sure she was eating well. The mom did not even have water in her bowl when I got her. I’m not sure how much rib showing is normal it’s not tremendous but it is there, not sure if it’s normal or not. But I have noticed she looks like she is growing more and more everyday so I’m very thankful she looks like she’s doing so well. She already looks so different than the day I got her I feel. Lots of love and attention can surely change a pup for the better. Also, she stayed up for about a while 4 hours at a time playing, so I am super happy about that as well that she was not so lethargic today. Her first vet visit is on Friday so I will ask about all this then as well. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts