German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try to figure out how big our baby girl will be when she is full grown, is there a way to estimate?

Her father is a pretty big boy at about 96 lbs, and her mother is at the lower end, about 75 lbs. I visited her this week at the breeder's and she was 11 lbs at 6 weeks old. She was in a litter of 8, and they were all pretty close to the same size 10-11 lbs with one or two at 11.5 lbs.

Is there any way to know? Or will I just have to wait and find out? =)

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
When Molly was 16 weeks old our vet told us to multiply her weight at that time by 2 which would have made her 80lbs when she was full grown. She is 3 now and barely tips the scale at 70. Mollys mom was 65-70 and her dad was 85 lbs. Your pup will probably fall in the range between 75-95 if that is what her parents are. It is kind of just a wait and see kind of game

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it really is just a waiting game then huh? Lol, I will try the 16 weeks * 2 and see how far off it is when she is an adult... then again she is only 6 weeks old so we have a while to go!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Larger dogs tend to vary a lot in how fast they grow so there's no good rule of thumb. I've seen GSDs quickly reach their adult size and stay small, I've seen GSDs seem enormous as puppies (with everyone you meet offering input on how gigantic they will be based on their feet) but then stop growing earlier on, but I've also seen GSDs that seemed a little puny at 8-10 months only to keep right on growing until they were 2. That's what happened with both my personal GSDs. And still others seem to grow steadily the whole time.

Given the size of her parents, your pup will probably be on the larger side, but that's not absolute if her grandparents or other family members were smaller. By the way, 75lbs for a female isn't lower end for a GSD
That's a good sized bitch. The male is just oversized so she seems smaller by comparison.

Congrats on the puppy!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! LoL I thought she was small, but you are right, she probably only looked small next to the father haha. What is the normal size range for a female GSD?

I guess I will just have to keep track, how big was every one else's GSD puppy when they were 6-8 weeks old? And how big did they turn out?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I think it is hard to tell how big they will get, my male GSD was brought home at 7 weeks, and he was the runt of the litter the mom kicked him away early. Well both of his parent weighed around 85-90lbs each, so we thought he wouldn't get very big. Three years later he weights in at 125 lbs, and he isn't fat he is all muscle, so I guess it depends on the dog himself.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There is really no way to tell. If I multiplied Mace's weight at 16 weeks (24lbs) he would only weigh 48lbs. He is now 8 months and 61lbs, but I think he is jsut a slower growing pup. He is 23inches tall but still has HUGE knuckles so I expect him to get taller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts