German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a dumb question but I've always wondered how big my boy Charlie will be when he's full grown? I know male GSDs can continue growing past 2 years old, is there anyway to estimate how big he will get? His breeder said he was mixed with Pyrenees, about 1/4 of it, but neither of his parents looked very big.

Right now he's 10 months old and 69.2 pounds, very lean and lanky, has no shoulders, can faintly see his ribs(he lost weight in his vet stay, he probably should weigh about 72-73, even then, still very lean)
He's about 27' at the wither and 30' from the base of his tail to the base of his neck.

I've never had a dog this big and I was just very curious!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Fawn

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
No way to know how big a mix will get. Pyrs mature around 3.5-4

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No way to know with a mixed breed with two completely different sizes.

Reactions: peachygeorgia

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way to know with a mixed breed with two completely different sizes.
I figured, although he's mostly GSD, and both of his parents looked like GSDs, his father was just white/cream colored, I wish I wouldve asked their weight, ugh!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No way to know how big a mix will get. Pyrs mature around 3.5-4
yeah I've done a bit of research on them but figured it wasn't as helpful since he has so little of it in him, his coat even has no indication of pyr lol, might get a DNA test soon just to see if he has anything else

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
yeah I've done a bit of research on them but figured it wasn't as helpful since he has so little of it in him, his coat even has no indication of pyr lol, might get a DNA test soon just to see if he has anything else
my dog is only 12.5% cattle dog and it’s very apparent!! so much so that i question the 37.5% malinois, as if the results got mixed up or something, lol. the other 50% is GSD…..and it’s pretty obvious, especially in appearance, but i can spot so many cattle dog quirks in him it’s ridiculous.

it’s always a gamble, but i truly do feel i got the best of all 3 breeds with him. although a bit more self preservation would be nice 😬

• Haha
Reactions: David Winners

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my dog is only 12.5% cattle dog and it’s very apparent!! so much so that i question the 37.5% malinois, as if the results got mixed up or something, lol. the other 50% is GSD…..and it’s pretty obvious, especially in appearance, but i can spot so many cattle dog quirks in him it’s ridiculous.

it’s always a gamble, but i truly do feel i got the best of all 3 breeds with him. although a bit more self preservation would be nice 😬
I've never owned a pyr but I know the ones ive met were pretty calm and sweet, so I guess I can see it in Charlie when he's at home, hes not destructive like I've heard GSDs can be and he's not a small animal killer, he likes to chase but not with any intent to kill, and hes very dog friendly, but, as I said, never really owned one, never even owned a big dog for that matter, so im clueless about his quirks, all I know is he's the bestest boy and I could've gotten a pup a lot harder to handle😂

your dog sounds very lovely, we took in a cattle dog that belonged to my friend for a short time and I loved him! as for a malinois, theyre beautiful, fascinating even, but id NEVER own one, way too much dog for me to handle, for now at least.... I'd love to see a picture of your boy, sounds like a pretty mix!

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
your dog sounds very lovely, we took in a cattle dog that belonged to my friend for a short time and I loved him! as for a malinois, theyre beautiful, fascinating even, but id NEVER own one, way too much dog for me to handle, for now at least.... I'd love to see a picture of your boy, sounds like a pretty mix!
click!! 🙃

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
he's beautiful!! and so is that location! im so very jealous, I dream of doing that with Charlie someday, for now we'll settle for the woods on our property lol
ha… and i dream of living on a property with woods!! ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
He is beautiful! Wow! I took in a GSD/Boxer mix when he was 7 weeks old. The mother (GSD) was 70lbs and the father (Boxer) was 65lbs. Our veterinarian told me when he was 4-6 months old that he would likely end up being around 80 pounds. At 10 months old, he was around 75lbs. Well, we just celebrated his 2nd birthday and he is nearing 95lbs and still "filling out" in the muscle department (finally losing the lanky giraffe look)... you never really know!

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts

ACD... king of the truck bed dogs :)

Reactions: mnm and Sabis mom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is beautiful! Wow! I took in a GSD/Boxer mix when he was 7 weeks old. The mother (GSD) was 70lbs and the father (Boxer) was 65lbs. Our veterinarian told me when he was 4-6 months old that he would likely end up being around 80 pounds. At 10 months old, he was around 75lbs. Well, we just celebrated his 2nd birthday and he is nearing 95lbs and still "filling out" in the muscle department (finally losing the lanky giraffe look)... you never really know!
wow, do you have a picture? id love to see that mix, he sounds adorable! and big! I've never had a large breed dog so I dont know much about predicting size. Charlie is still very lanky and giraffe like, I cant wait til he fills out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will also add that those paws are still looking pretty big... I don't think it would be too bold of me to predict that he will end up larger than 72-73lbs.
oh for sure! I just meant thats his normal weight before he lost a little, he's nowhere near filled out yet, and since muscles heavy, im sure he'll be close to 90, maybe, still not sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
wow, do you have a picture? id love to see that mix, he sounds adorable! and big! I've never had a large breed dog so I dont know much about predicting size. Charlie is still very lanky and giraffe like, I cant wait til he fills out!
Dog Sky Dog breed Carnivore Collar

This is an older picture (he was almost a year old here), but it's one of his better pictures (cameras annoy him). His ears took a while to stand completely. Definitely physically and behaviorally favors the GSD side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cloud Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Comfort
Dog Plant Collar Carnivore Fawn

7 weeks old and 4 months old... for size reference, he came home in a cat carrier (pictured). He ate his spinach!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts