German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
This is my first post here, and really on any forum. So lately while walking Apollo my Male GSD who is 6 months old, people always think he is 3 or 4 months old. He is 49lbs and 22.5 inches at the shoulders. I'm getting concerned that he should be growing more. Please re assure me that his size is ok. I have seen other shepherds his size but a month younger. Thanks a lot everyone.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
I'm sure he's fine.... my 3yr old male is 22.5" and 57lbs - I get asked if he's a puppy, female or mix on a daily basis. he's perfectly healthy and has become my preferred size.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The male standard full grown is 24-26, I do believe.
At 6 months, he still has growing to do. Thinking he'll fit nicely into the standard height range once full grown.

Keep in mind, some dogs end up being a little smaller or larger than the standard ranges. That's the thing about sexually reproducing as opposed to asexually reproducing...you won't be getting clones.

And...a lot of people seem to think of the gsd as a really big breed in their heads (maybe due to some people who breed solely for a larger sized one?). They're more than medium, but not exactly massive. They do stand up quite high, though, since their body is more rectangular (longer than tall).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dont know for sure how big she is but my husband's white female seems small to me but she is nearly as big as my black male who is 16 months old. Gypsy my husband's white is 11 1/2 months old and last time she was weighed she was 43.2 pounds. I just wonder if she wasnt the runt of the litter. I dont know how much Nyx my male weighs or how tall he is but he looks so big height wise compared to her. He needs to gain weight though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello everybody!
This is my first post here, and really on any forum. So lately while walking Apollo my Male GSD who is 6 months old, people always think he is 3 or 4 months old. He is 49lbs and 22.5 inches at the shoulders. I'm getting concerned that he should be growing more. Please re assure me that his size is ok. I have seen other shepherds his size but a month younger. Thanks a lot everyone.
I suggest you also look to the AKC Standard for all height & weight aspects.

His size is OK for his age. It is a deranged American notion that everything bigger is better. The bigger he is the harder he will be to manage. You should be very content with a male between 70-80lbs which is what he will probably be in a year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm sure he's fine.... my 3yr old male is 22.5" and 57lbs - I get asked if he's a puppy, female or mix on a daily basis. he's perfectly healthy and has become my preferred size.
Funny, I get asked the same thing about Beya "is she a puppy?". She is 21-1/2" (22-1/4" with her hackles up she will tell me:wink2:) and 62lbs. I think she is the perfect size and in the German standard of 55cm.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
And...a lot of people seem to think of the gsd as a really big breed in their heads (maybe due to some people who breed solely for a larger sized one?). They're more than medium, but not exactly massive. They do stand up quite high, though, since their body is more rectangular (longer than tall).
LOL OS WL GSD here, Rocky is a really big dog in my living room. :p

·
Registered
629 Posts
When you get more size you tend to lose athletic ability and agility. I think my APBTs are perfect sizes at a compact 50 lbs and they are still more than big enough to be respected. My little man GSD/Dobe will most assuredly be bigger than they are, but I am not at all concerned about his size. He is three months and in no way is he even close to being 50 lbs (I'd guess 25 but I'm really not sure), and honestly I would be a little worried if he was. Six months is still a young immature dog and I think 50 lbs is a very respectable, safe size. My pits although 3 and 8 are always mistaken for being young or pups simply because they do not fit the (very incorrect) belief that a pit bull is a 100 lbs. blue monster, it doesn't bother me because I know the majority of people are simply ignorant. Enjoy your dog for who he is and the companionship and happiness he offers in your life, nothing else matters :).

·
Registered
245 Posts
LOL OS WL GSD here, Rocky is a really big dog in my living room.
Rocky could tell you had a lot of love to give, so he grew extra big for you to have more Rocky to love.

When you get more size you tend to lose athletic ability and agility.
I've noticed this just seeing dogs in random play & interactions with surrounding environments. Tiny dogs will jump up on things 3x their height. Yet a lot of big dogs won't jump up on things after a certain height. There seems to be a certain height limit that my dog will jump up onto on command...though I know he can jump much much higher. Just looking at his hind legs, you'd think he could jump a mountain. While in the woods letting him hunt, I've seen him jump up high enough to clear my head (I'm 6'1).
I think big dogs generally know they're capable of certain things, but choose to almost never do them because their size and weight add so much more stress to their joints; plus the uncertainty that the ground will be adequate for their landing, or when they're really digging/gripping into the ground to make sharp movements at high speeds. Meanwhile, a tiny dog has much less weight to tear into the ground and is free to really 'whip it' when running in most situations.

(note: just basing this on general observations & speculations. No real science behind any of it.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello everybody!
Based on personal experience with this, I wouldn't worry to much about the charts and all available. My GSD was smaller based off of all of those graphs, up until about a couple weeks ago.

I've seen GSDs that are 5-7 months old and already look like adults, while mine still looks like a pup heading into his 7th month. As long as they're healthy, it's alright.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Caprica was the runt of her litter and had all those awkward, gangly, oddly proportioned phases as a puppy. She's now decidedly on the large end of the spectrum for a female GSD at nearly 80lb. She's got the tummy tuck, narrowed mid section and distinct shoulder/hip curves, and according to our vet (and our own assessment) is not overweight, just large for a female. Not terribly surprising, her dad was quite large, on the order of 110lb, though mom was average for a female, around 65lb.

Just goes to show, their size as puppies and through the growing teen years are not always a reflection of their final size, though Apollo sound just fine as is in any case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts